• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bingo
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cossack1648 View Post
      When you compare the tab and especially the piping they are identical, same contour. Loops which some tried to trash, look the same too. Perfect match to my eyes. Anyone denying it has an agenda.
      It happens often here and it happened to me. Some unknown collector posts a unique item and some people try very hard to shoot it down. And then out of the blue you get messages with offers to buy it, but of course for the fraction of the value since your piece "have issues".
      I have no agenda. You have what is purportedly a tunic to a well-known TR personality that pops up out of the woodwork, and looks good at first blush. With any SS item, and I have said it before, you need a healthy dose of skepticism. As I said in my original post, I hope I am wrong, but I do not see the award loops being as perfect a match as others do, and with blurry photos to boot.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by DonC View Post

I have no agenda. You have what is purportedly a tunic to a well-known TR personality that pops up out of the woodwork, and looks good at first blush. With any SS item, and I have said it before, you need a healthy dose of skepticism. As I said in my original post, I hope I am wrong, but I do not see the award loops being as perfect a match as others do, and with blurry photos to boot.

Don
        Some loops could get worn out or ripped apart during inserting and removing of decorations and then replaced or repaired. There is 80 years time span between those two pictures. Nothing got frozen in time. On the other hand focus on collar tab and its piping, details curves and turns. It is the same.

Comment

Compare those details and take in the consideration that period image is magnified and not as clear as modern photo.
          Placement of the tab on the collar also matches
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's some of the areas I question - and yes, fuzzy period pics do not necessarily give a perfect comparison, nor does how the tunic is currently mounted:
            Attached Files

Comment

what a find wooow

Comment

Originally posted by istra63 View Post
                Bingo
                Exact Match... and you can’t take that to the bank. 100% . I wonder what this guys PM box looks like right now .

Comment

Originally posted by DonC View Post
                  Here's some of the areas I question - and yes, fuzzy period pics do not necessarily give a perfect comparison, nor does how the tunic is currently mounted:
                  Don the tunic in the period photo is on a body and turned to one side . It is an exact match. Even the pocket flap is a perfect match.

Comment

Comment

I agree with you on the loop A, it is higher. It could be replaced.
                      Detail B: I think those loops are where I marked them in yellow. Arrangements of loops in area C looks same to me. The bottom one seems to be a little towards the center on both pictures. In detail D I think you didn't draw your line parallel to the button hole in modern photo, like you did in period photo, hence the difference. Line E: I think bottom of the pocket is at the same height relative to the button hole. We look at the 2 dimensional images that distort perspective of the third dimension. Camera in the period picture was looking from the left at that pocket, while on the modern photo from the right. You have to keep that in mind when judging relative heights and figure out what the third dimension is doing. Also dark area G can be the mark left from the missing sewn on medal bar.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post

Don the tunic in the period photo is on a body and turned to one side . It is an exact match. Even the pocket flap is a perfect match.
                        +1 !

Comment

BTW since I would bet this tunic will hit the market sooner then later - anyone know of a high-ranking known SS tunic that has sold recently? I would be interested to know what this tunic may fetch...

P.S. this was a great marketing move - lots of eyes pass though WAF.
                          Last edited by dhunter93; 09-07-2020, 08:58 PM.

Comment

The good thing is that it was discovered and identified. I am sure it will be well taken care of from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by dhunter93 View Post
                              BTW since I would bet this tunic will hit the market sooner then later - anyone know of a high-ranking known SS tunic that has sold recently? I would be interested to know what this tunic may fetch...
                              I hope it fetches the new owner great satisfaction in saving it for future preservation and I appreciate him for sharing his find in this minefield of brain numbing opinion from all over. A welcome thread to the SS forum symbolizing what collecting should be all about .

Oldrusty26 if you decide to sell it do not accept the first several offers do some research into just how rare this tunic is , make them bleed gold and diamonds for it .

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post

I hope it fetches the new owner great satisfaction in saving it for future preservation and I appreciate him for sharing his find in this minefield of brain numbing opinion from all over. A welcome thread to the SS forum symbolizing what collecting should be all about .
                                I agree, any idea what it might fetch in todays market?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X