This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butch Gooch View Post
    Well in addition to what's above. The Bottom of my piece has Felt on it, and I'm NOT taking it off for anything I can think of. So, Whatever it is..it is.Butch
    Butch, yours is a very nice example and a piece most don't have in their collections. Enjoy it!

Comment

This will be the ultimate piece with correct base set up.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
        Butch, yours is a very nice example and a piece most don't have in their collections. Enjoy it!
        Thanks ErichS !! Butch

Comment

Wish it was in MY collection!!

Br. James

Comment

June 1945.....
            Attached Files

Comment

On the one hand, it's somewhat surprising that the monument wasn't taken back to the states for display in a museum, given its significance--it was the Blood Order of monuments, so to speak. On the other, it was so well known, its public destruction was probably considered desirable by the occupying troops.
              Anyone have any breakthroughs with the time machine experiments yet?
              Erich
              Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich B. View Post
                On the one hand, it's somewhat surprising that the monument wasn't taken back to the states for display in a museum, given its significance--it was the Blood Order of monuments, so to speak. On the other, it was so well known, its public destruction was probably considered desirable by the occupying troops.
                Anyone have any breakthroughs with the time machine experiments yet?
                Erich
                Interesting that they hung the eagle up on the FHH.

Comment

Yes, quite an historic photo, especially to us who have studied this period for so long! While the FHH Memorial was certainly well-known to the residents of Munich, and especially to those who hated and opposed the NSDAP, I'm not sure really how well known the symbolism of the Mahnmal was to the Occupying Forces. Having seen similar photos of the downfall of the FHH Memorial in the past, my sense has been that the 'shoving off of the plaque and Memorial from the FHH portico' was probably the work of the local German resistance, not that of GIs with too much time on their hands and too much good German beer in their bellies.

I do agree that one could easily read in a 'statement' being made by whoever pushed the memorial to its destruction. The apparent rescue and 'rising' of the eagle -- a 'phoenix' without the swastika in it's talons -- could indicate someone's wish for the return of the monarchy or even the empire and her kaiser at war's end. After all, the side of the platform portico of the FHH in which the Mahnmal proudly sat for almost a dozen years faced directly toward The Residence, the city palace of the Wittelsbach dynasty! 'Sending a message?!'

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Graffiti shame message on the other side prior to destruction. Emotions were high.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Any idea what this is?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

I suppose it to be a bookmark.

Best Regards

Max_Porter

Comment

But it is clothing material

Comment

Chen -- where did the photo you provided originate? Did you take it yourself or is it from someone else's collection? If this piece belongs to you, may we see more pix? Just trying to understand where this cloth Mahnmal piece came from...

Br. James

Comment

In reality it looks like a tourist souvenir piece sold on the Odeonsplatz back in the day.

Br. James

Comment

I would agree with James - More like a souvenir piece?

Mil

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X