This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mil,
    You do have a point. Here is a picture of limestone.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Mil, and you may well be right. Chen's closeup photo of limestone seems to be a good match to the surface of the FHH building material. The two great lions are known to have been sculpted of marble, which I continue to presume was done to set the lions apart from the material of the building itself, though the last 70 years of maintenance neglect to the FHH has brought it to the condition where the lions pretty much match the gray color of the building.

Br. James

Comment

3d scanning and printing

:d
        Attached Files

Comment

Great! now we have fakes of these to deal with coming from China

Comment

I know what you mean, Jon...but for those of us who realize that we have little to no chance of ever finding and owning a real one, perhaps these knock-offs will at least be available and at a much more reasonable cost than hoping against hope to find a real one?!

Happy Christmas, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

Fair comment my friend, I hope they are clearly marked copy built in to the resin or similar on the reverse, or else they do have the potential to fool people and cost dear...

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
                :d
                Good use of a 3D printer !

Comment

Originally posted by der-hase-fee View Post
                  Good use of a 3D printer !
                  der-hase-fee,
                  For those saying using a 3d scanning and printing can produce fake really has no idea what is he talking about, probably he has never has any experience of 3d printing before.
                  Br. James' comment is up to the point.

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
                    der-hase-fee,
                    For those saying using a 3d scanning and printing can produce fake really has no idea what is he talking about, probably he has never has any experience of 3d printing before.
                    Br. James' comment is up to the point.
                    I'm pretty naive when it comes to 3D printing but at first glance, that's what I thought it was.

Sydney

Comment

Scanning and Printing Department at work
                      BTW, what the 1:1 dimension of the status ?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Chen, you've posted some interesting material. For us as collectors and for studying historical artefacts, what is the purpose of making a duplicate?

Mil

Comment

Mil,
                          Answer is in post #651 by Br. James.
                          Furthermore, it serves as a steeping stone for bigger project.
                          We are now planning a 1:1.
                          If 1:1 can be materialized, collectors can stand next to it to take picture.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Quite an interesting series of posts regarding this new copy of the FHH Mahnmal! Like Andreas and Sydney, a 3-D printer also came to my mind...and as Chen responded, I too have no no experience of 3-D scanning and printing. But I do think it would be of interest to our collecting community to be able to order a new copy of the Mahnmal statue; it would be a fine bookshelf addition to my library, akin to all those models of the Gross Hoheitsadlern at the Nuremberg Luitpold-Arena. While these eagles are obviously not made during the TR era, they nevertheless look fine as a decorator piece!

As with the Hoheitsadlern, this Mahnmal piece appears not to have the great detail of the genuine articles, which should make them fairly easy to spot.

Chen, in the photo you provide in your note #656 you show two examples of the Mahnmal statue, which I assume are both recent copies...? Can you share with us where you obtained them, and for how much? If such models were generally available and inexpensive enough, there may well be a market for them throughout our collecting community.

Please make no mistake: I do NOT endorse those who create fakes and forgeries of such pieces in an effort to swindle serious collectors of artifacts, but that does not exclude anyone who seeks to provide such honest copies of known artifacts as a service to our hobby. And this includes daggers presented as original to the period which are actually 'Frankensteins!'

With all best wishes for a joyous Christmastide,

Br James

Comment

Br. James,
                                My previous photo is not that sharp to reflect the detail quality of the 3D printing model.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X