This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrec27777 View Post
    DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MONUMENT COFFINS? 2ND PIC SHOWS LIDS ASKEW ....AND WHAT WERE THEY MADE OF?? EC
    Some sources have them made from rust resistant iron and others bronze. Either way they were melted down for use in the subway. These coffins each weighed about 2300#.
    Last edited by ErichS; 06-13-2013, 05:48 PM.

Comment

thanks for the info ERICH ,... i look back at the destruction of sadams statue ,the topling ,dragging his head down the street and sometimes wonder ..what a destruction of history ...why didn"t the us not bring in a 30 ton cherypicker ,hook a couple of straps ..unbolt it ,and then set it up in a military museum in america ...... EC

Comment

My sense is that the third photo below was the result of good old American curiosity: I'd bet a group of GIs got together one night after a few drinks and decided to check and see what was under those sarcophagus lids. Who knows? Maybe high-ranking uniform parts or some other 'treasure?!' I guess that could also have been accomplished by local townspeople, too -- I recall that locals were among the very first to pillage the Berghof, Haus Bormann, Göring Hugel and everything else they could find at the Obersalzberg Administration. Probably the same thing happened at Carinhall, as well... The bodies in the Temples of Honor were returned to their families for re-burial whenever possible, and I assume that the bottoms of the coffins were blown up with the two buildings, unless they too were made of the same material as the lids and thus melted down.

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
          I had heard that there were plans to build an educational center where the Brown House stood, probably akin to the similar centers in Berlin on the site of Gestapo Headquarters at Prinz-Albrechtstr. 8, and on the Obersalzberg where the Platterhof/General Walker Hotel once stood. When I visited Munich more than ten years ago, the site of the Brown House was a nicely-trimmed lawn behind one of the Temples of Honor, and it would seem in keeping with the recent history of the Königsplatz that an educational center would be built there. One would hope that such a center would also include access to the underground passageways which once connected the Brown House with the Führerbau and the Party Administration Building via the Temples of Honor -- that would truly be worth seeing! And it would be in keeping with the tunnel connections under the Obersalzberg. Life goes on...

Br. James
          http://www.ns-dokumentationszentrum-...de/zentrum/ort

Best regards

Kay

Comment

Many thanks for the update, Kay, and Cheers, my friend!

Br. James

Comment

http://www.atlantic-times.com/archiv...p?recordID=359

The above link is to a well written article on what happened to the remains of the martyrs in 1945.

Comment

Many thanks for sharing this detailed essay, Erich. I have two comments on the text:

1. The author begins his piece by reflecting on the founding of the Nazi martyr cult, which he believes to have been created with the opening of the Temples of Honor, beginning with ceremonies commencing on November 7, 1935. While that was surely the beginning of the 'public worship' at the tombs of the 16 'Martyrs of the Movement,' the stage had been set for this three-day ceremony with the publishing of the first edition of Volume I of Hitler's "Mein Kampf" in 1925. That edition and every edition thereafter began with the Dedication to the memory of those 16 men who were "steadfast in their belief in the resurrection of their people..." An abridged version of that Dedication became the focus of the 'Martyrs Memorial' designed by Paul Ludwig Troost and which Kurt Schmid-Ehmen captured in stone and bronze and placed in the vaulted eastern portico of the Feldherrnhalle two years earlier, so that all who passed by would be reminded of the event that took place there, "On November 9, 1923, at 12:30 in the afternoon..."

2. There is an inconsistency between the dated description of the removal of the 16 bodies from the Temples of Honor -- which is specified as having taken place on the night of July 5, 1945 -- and the statement made by "Karl Meitinger, head of the city planning department under the Nazis" and who continued in that position post-war, in a speech he made to the Munich City Council in August, 1945, which we are told included the need for "The bodies of Ehrlich and the other Nazi 'Martyrs' ... to be removed as discreetly as possible." Perhaps the need for discretion was so superbly undertaken that, a month after the bodies had been removed from the Temples on the Künigsplatz, the head of the Munich City Planning Department still didn't know that the 'Martyrs of the Movement' had been taken away and reburied?!

Thanks again, Erich,

Br. James

Comment

A good friend of mine scored this super Mahnmal statue at the MAX with SS dedication plaque.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
                    A good friend of mine scored this super Mahnmal statue at the MAX with SS dedication plaque.
                    That's a WOW find.

Comment

Originally posted by der-hase-fee View Post
                      That's a WOW find.
                      That's for sure!

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what was the price?
                        Richard V

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
                          What is the size?

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
                            What is the size?
                            About 5" high X 7" long.

Comment

ErichS,
                              Thanks and need one of these one day.

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
                                ErichS,
                                Thanks and need one of these one day.
                                They really are a nice accessory to the Blood Order. They're hard to find and it took me some time to locate mine.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 11 users online. 0 members and 11 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
                                X