This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Military View Post
    From my collection, Happy New Year everyone!

Mil

All three are rare and very desirable pieces Mil and congrats!

Heck, I'm happy just to have 2 out of 3 of these pieces in my collection.

Comment

Hi Mil,

I agree! All you need now is one of the pair of the Schmid-Ehmen NSDAP Eagle Standards that were mounted flanking the main entrance to the Brown House -- though having the pair would be even better! Or how about the bronze gates that adorned that main entrance -- they've gotta be around somewhere!?

Best as ever,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
        Hi Mil,

I agree! All you need now is one of the pair of the Schmid-Ehmen NSDAP Eagle Standards that were mounted flanking the main entrance to the Brown House -- though having the pair would be even better! Or how about the bronze gates that adorned that main entrance -- they've gotta be around somewhere!?

Best as ever,

Br. James
        The picture is somewhere on the forum.

Comment

Hi James and DHF,

Eagles such as those on the Brown House will be all locked up either in Russia or melted down. We rarely see good material coming out nowadays. Do you both think so?

Mil

Comment

Originally posted by Military View Post
            Hi James and DHF,

Eagles such as those on the Brown House will be all locked up either in Russia or melted down. We rarely see good material coming out nowadays. Do you both think so?

Mil
            Most likely scrapped after the BH was bombed out and the city occupied by the US Army.

Comment

Hi James and DHF,

Mil
              Hi Mil,

I can't agree. we have seen a lot of great eagles in the last few years- mostly from the US. It seems that quite a few survived and were maybe too nice to melt down. Have a look at Bill Shea's magnificent solid bronze eagle that hung over one of the doors in the Führerbau in Munich. It was sent to the USA by a member of the “Monuments Men” group before Bill acquired it. Another magnificent bronze bird, the Deutscher Hof eagle was apparently an auction house walk-in from a vet a few years back before being on-sold by John T along with a hand beaten iron elementary school wall eagle from Boppard. A beautiful copper Munchen thousand years of German art flag pole topper was also vet found and sold by Bill Shea. Craig Gottlieb recently sold a massive building eagle and another huge building eagle sold at the SOS. Most of the recent eagle finds seem to be in the USA except for a couple of bronze wall eagles and the Berchestgaden station eagle that sold last year in Germany. Maybe the Brown House eagles are hidden away in Russia but I have found no evidence of this- they could just as easily pop up in the USA in the next few years -I hope so anyway.

Comment

I've never seen any direct reference made to either the two eagle standards from the Brown House entrance or the bronze doors cast for that building, so they certainly could be almost anywhere...along with the Blood Flag and it's staff and topper! While the Brown House was certainly heavily damaged by bombing late in the war, it wasn't completely leveled; I'd wouldn't be surprised if those eagles and perhaps the doors, too, survived. Since the eagle standards were Schmid-Ehmen direct copies of the eagle perched atop the FHH Mahnmal, they would have been revered by the hierarchy of the NSDAP, and perhaps they were removed from their mountings and stored in the tunnels below the Königsplatz along with the historic banners from the Hall of Honor just inside the Brown House entrance? Anything is possible! And if they were discovered by either the occupation troops or by curiosity-seekers after the surrender, they could have wound up back here in a crate bound for the USA or to England. I only hope I live long enough to have these and other questions answered in my lifetime!

Cheers, friends,

Br. James

Comment

I would be very keen to purchase those eagles as pictured! I guess time to start looking! Now I have a better sense of a hunt taking place for 2016. Ahhh, back on a target!

Mil

Comment

I've never seen any direct reference made to either the two eagle standards from the Brown House entrance or the bronze doors cast for that building, so they certainly could be almost anywhere...along with the Blood Flag and it's staff and topper! While the Brown House was certainly heavily damaged by bombing late in the war, it wasn't completely leveled; I'd wouldn't be surprised if those eagles and perhaps the doors, too, survived. Since the eagle standards were Schmid-Ehmen direct copies of the eagle perched atop the FHH Mahnmal, they would have been revered by the hierarchy of the NSDAP, and perhaps they were removed from their mountings and stored in the tunnels below the Königsplatz along with the historic banners from the Hall of Honor just inside the Brown House entrance? Anything is possible! And if they were discovered by either the occupation troops or by curiosity-seekers after the surrender, they could have wound up back here in a crate bound for the USA or to England. I only hope I live long enough to have these and other questions answered in my lifetime!

Cheers, friends,

Br. James
                    Hi Br. James,

I never thought I would see any more bronzes from the Reichskanzlei and then these popped up a few months ago, one just never knows- the Brown House eagles could be next:

Note-
                    "it was assumed that the sculptures in question were just fixtures from the Chancellery’s garden facade: two massive bronze horses by Josef Thorak, a large relief by Arno Breker and a couple of nudes by Fritz Klimsch. But since the police found the horde and made a series of arrests, two more Breker works have been mentioned, and there have been unconfirmed reports that the police may have recovered one or both of perhaps the most famous Nazi sculptures of all: Die Wehrmacht and Die Partei, two male nudes by Breker that flanked the front door to Hitler’s haunt." - New York Times

See: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/10/op...reich-art.html

Cheers.

Comment

Many thanks, Michael -- I'm very glad to see this, too, which provides more detail on the locating of this cache of statuary from the NRK! And I seem to recall reading somewhere -- perhaps someone here shared the article? -- that at least one of the pair of Breker statues from the NRK Honor Court had been found, somewhere in Berlin or the suburbs? But I can't recall any other details now...perhaps someone else here can?

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Chen -- my memory is vindicated!

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
                                Mike's 3d FHH !
                                Perhaps when the marble base arrived in Feb., he will post further picture.
                                Marble base arrived .
                                Looks quite nice indeed!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X