No announcement yet.

Delich COA LAH Panzer Wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ben, it is pretty straight forward. However, I know how this goes and won't waste my time.

regards, Robert

Comment

I understand you, Robert - and wholeheartedly agree.

Comment

I don't mean that I disagree with you..
        I mean that I honestly don't understand what you are saying?

Comment

I don't understand it as well. Beside an Item comes from the Family/Vet (and even there you need to take care what you do) a Source is not really important nor it says anything about if it is real or not. All what counts is the Item, stripped from all Storys and Sources. That is what you buy, and that is what you should make sure is solid.
          Last edited by AntiqueWW2; 08-13-2020, 05:09 PM.
          WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
            I assume this dump was based on my remark about the source having value. I didn't mean Mr. Delich specifically, but the general notion that sourcing is of value and should be considered. I sure have been set straight.
            I'm still lost and have no idea what this is suppose to mean...
            Why don't you stop talking in riddles because this is one of the reasons why collectors and dealers who dislike the forum believe that we are talking crap.
            And sometimes I tend to agree with them,,

Comment

Two things bother me, in 1984 Mr. Delich claims to have never seen another original SS officer wrap yet he was a premier collector back then well known and sought after for advice. Also that an 88 year old (in 1964) had a brother who brought it back from the war. My Uncle who served from D-Day was in his 30’s in 1964. This guys brother would have been too old to serve unless mom and dad had him really really late in life. It makes no sense. I saw my first LAH SS wrap at Steve Wolf’s Lakewood shop in 1986.All I had to do was walk in and I saw one.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
                Two things bother me, in 1984 Mr. Delich claims to have never seen another original SS officer wrap yet he was a premier collector back then well known and sought after for advice. Also that an 88 year old (in 1964) had a brother who brought it back from the war. My Uncle who served from D-Day was in his 30’s in 1964. This guys brother would have been too old to serve unless mom and dad had him really really late in life. It makes no sense. I saw my first LAH SS wrap at Steve Wolf’s Lakewood shop in 1986.All I had to do was walk in and I saw one.
                John, that is a good catch. I have been waiting for someone to actually comment on that. My initial thought was the exact same thing. I suspect though, he is referring to the dealer being that age as in the time of his writing the letter, ie. that the seller was still around. Otherwise, I agree it would make no sense at all.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfslair44 View Post

John, that is a good catch. I have been waiting for someone to actually comment on that. My initial thought was the exact same thing. I suspect though, he is referring to the dealer being that age as in the time of his writing the letter, ie. that the seller was still around. Otherwise, I agree it would make no sense at all.
                  Even if the dealer was 88 in 1984 it makes it suspect unless his brother was 25 years younger than him. My uncle was in his late 50’s in 84. When I met a few of those Band of Brothers vets at the SOS in the early 2000’s they were in their late 70’s early 80’s
                  Ask yourself this, why was it important to emphasize the age of the Antique shop owner ? What relevance did it have to the wrap ? Why not just say I bought this off an antique dealer in 1964 who had a brother in the war ?
                  Last edited by John Pic; 08-13-2020, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post

Even if the dealer was 88 in 1984 it makes it suspect unless his brother was 25 years younger than him. My uncle was in his late 50’s in 84. When I met a few of those Band of Brothers vets at the SOS in the early 2000’s they were in their late 70’s early 80’s
                    I don't think that's accurate. If he was 88 in 1984, he would have been 44 in 1944. If he had a brother 12 years younger then him, very plausible, he would have been early 30's in 1944. If 15 years younger in his late 20's give or take. It may also explain why 'the dealer' didn't come up with a story that it was his because he was likely too old to serve. Anyways, a moot point now that this is sold, but that was the conclusion I came to, but initially thought the exact same thing and thought DD may have made an oops.

Comment

I don't think that's accurate. If he was 88 in 1984, he would have been 44 in 1944. If he had a brother 12 years younger then him, very plausible, he would have been early 30's in 1944. If 15 years younger in his late 20's give or take. It may also explain why 'the dealer' didn't come up with a story that it was his because he was likely too old to serve. Anyways, a moot point now that this is sold, but that was the conclusion I came to, but initially thought the exact same thing and thought DD may have made an oops.
                      It is accurate. Read the Letter, he bought it in 1964 from an 88 Year old Antik Dealer. How old was the 88 Year old Antik Dealer in 1945? and how old would be his Brother if there ever was one in 1945? He took part at Omaha Beach in a very special Unit....The wheelchair pensioner brigade... imagine the Germans when they see the floating wheelchairs coming towards the beaches... no wonder the Americans won

Comment

Originally posted by AntiqueWW2 View Post

It is accurate. Read the Letter, he bought it in 1964 from an 88 Year old Antik Dealer. How old was the 88 Year old Antik Dealer in 1945? and how old would be his Brother if there ever was one in 1945? He took part at Omaha Beach in a very special Unit....The wheelchair pensioner brigade... imagine the Germans when they see the floating wheelchairs coming towards the beaches... no wonder the Americans won
                        Oh man, I laughed out loud at the above. Ya, I read it the same way, but then figured he was advising that the guy is still around, meaning he was 88 at the time of the letter because he still knew him. Otherwise, it wouldn't make much sense at all.

Comment

Oh man, I laughed out loud at the above. Ya, I read it the same way, but then figured he was advising that the guy is still around, meaning he was 88 at the time of the letter because he still knew him. Otherwise, it wouldn't make much sense at all.
                          HeHeHe So I've read the letter a few times now, and I always come to the same conclusion.....that the Antique Dealer was 88 years old back in 1964. He wrote " an 88 year old Antique Dealer that lived in Kansas".....so based on that, he was 88 years old back then. And even though he was 68 years old in 1964...somehow the whole letter doesn't really fit together, neither does the jacket itself. In the end the letter says absolutely nothing.There was a guy, somewhere in Kansas from whom I got this stuff, and extra pointed out...he was 88 years old Great, that's absolutely great. But who knows....maybe my Wheelchair Option is spot on

Comment

To distill this the only real gripe here is someone paid a large amount for this. Let's remember that this was an auction and several bidders felt it was worth it. Great collections often require the buyer to pay more than others to get the top material. Many great things I bought I paid way too much for in years gone by are looking pretty good today.
                            Last edited by nutmeg; 08-14-2020, 03:39 PM.

Comment

I don't think that's accurate. If he was 88 in 1984, he would have been 44 in 1944.
                              Really? That'd be a miracle..

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Simon View Post

Really? That'd be a miracle..
                                Not unless he figured out how to time travel into the future. Maybe he used one of Hitler’s wonder weapons?
                                When you go home
                                Tell them for us and say
                                For your tomorrow
                                We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
                                Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X