Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That´s also the region where the DHW tapestries (better say: where the tapestries ordered by the DHW) were manufactured.

It was there where the "Bauernrepublik Dithmarschen" was established and the local peasants lived and ruled on their own combined with self-administration and jurisdiction - for more than a century.

The victory at Hemmingstedt in 1500 under the tactical leader Wulf Isebrand was the final milestone leading into real independence which lastet until 1559.

A wealthy upper class of big farmers ruled - more or less - also after the repression in 1559 regionally under the table which preserved the high self-confidence and pride of the regional peasants in and around Dithmarschen.

It became an important pillar of power for the young NSDAP - in the election to the Reichstag on the 20th of May 1928 the NSDAP gathered in Dithmarschen 18% of the percentage of votes - whereas the percentage of votes within the whole Provinz Schleswig-Holstein was just 4% in general.

In the election for the Reichstag in 1930 it turned out to be 40% in Dithmarschen and 1932/33 more than 60%.

It turned out that the highest number of GBP holders in the whole Reich lived in the city of Dithmarschen and the region around!

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
      That´s also the region where the DHW tapestries (better say: where the tapestries ordered by the DHW) were manufactured.
      Yes indeed, hence how I found it.. Not valuable in monetary terms but a bit of history, connected to some things we discuss here. Came from a lady who mentioned it in discussion about tapestry.

Comment

I noticed another one of these sold last month in Germany, described as;

' Seltene Aufbewahrungsschatulle einer Ordensburg III.Reich. Rechteckig mit aufklappbarem Deckel, absperrbar mit Schlüssel. Dunkler Holzton, Deckel sowie drei Seitenteile im Relief beschnitzt, u.a. Hoheitsadler mit Schwert, Soldaten im Kampf mit HK-Fahne, Templerkreuz, Propeller mit Anker, Schwerter. Auf Sockelfüssen. Zeitgenössisch. 40x23x18,5cm. Z 2 Gute Schnitzarbeit, wohl zur
        Aufbewahrung wichtiger Objekt

Comment

I got a few original 1930's store front advertising folders belonging to a certain L. Franz store. Mostly with porcelain , works by Klimsch, Karner, Obermaier, etc. Posting one of the colorized photos . What I did not notice immediately on this photo was the bread plate and some other hand mate items. It would be great if someone could translate the banner on the background as well as ID the plate.
          Attached Files

Comment

Banner:

"Ehrt den deutschen Arbeiter - kauft deutsche Kunst."

"Honour the german worker - buy german art."

The bread plate bears the christian related carved dedication:

"Unser täglich Brot gib uns heute" = "Give us our daily bread"

Another interesting example how strong the believes and tradition of christian religion in the Reich still was - although the owner of the depicted shop was surely supporting the party and obviously a party member as well.

Cultural pieces with pure pagan content and meaning was not that common and a specialty so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
              I noticed another one of these sold last month in Germany, described as;

' Seltene Aufbewahrungsschatulle einer Ordensburg III.Reich. Rechteckig mit aufklappbarem Deckel, absperrbar mit Schlüssel. Dunkler Holzton, Deckel sowie drei Seitenteile im Relief beschnitzt, u.a. Hoheitsadler mit Schwert, Soldaten im Kampf mit HK-Fahne, Templerkreuz, Propeller mit Anker, Schwerter. Auf Sockelfüssen. Zeitgenössisch. 40x23x18,5cm. Z 2 Gute Schnitzarbeit, wohl zur
              Aufbewahrung wichtiger Objekt

Steve, what did it go for?

Comment

I bought a breadplate a while back thinking it was third reich. But then found out about the christian saying. The construction and craftsmanship even the letter types used are exactly the same as the pagan plates only the tekst is different.

Were these types totally unrelated or still related to the whole Heimatwerk movement during that time?

Comment

The Deutsches Heimatwerk was officially a corporation of the Reichsnährstand under the command of SS-Obergruppenführer Richard Walther Darré (a personal friend of Himmler) with it´s biggest shop and headquarter in SW 68 Berlin = means it was part of the cultural agenda and efforts of the SS.

SW = Südwest - 68 = Kreuzberg; a postal code where many if not most noteworthy official administration facilities and head offices of private companies working for the Reich - in one way or the other - took place.

Christian related objects were not part of the real cultural intention and goal of the Third Reich, especially not of the SS.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthäus Klein View Post
                    Steve, what did it go for?

Sorry, I missed your question. It was €130.00 plus auction fees and tax on the fees.
                    Last edited by Steve T; 10-20-2011, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                      Sorry, I missed your question. It was €130.00 plus auction fees and tax on the fees.
                      Dirt cheap. What auctionhouse?

Comment

When american and german culture meet:

This evening I witnessed a little cutural conference.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Please Thorsten,

Some more photos

Etienne

Comment

Curious and excited when exploring the details:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Curious and excited when exploring the details:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Piglet and his gang can´t get enough as well - there is so much cultural input at once.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 52 users online. 0 members and 52 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X