No announcement yet.

Show us your German POW photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are a few POW photos that I dug out of my collection. First group is German POW Camp 180 in Oran, Algeria North Africa. The pics are of the Guard Force.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by W Petz; 11-17-2004, 10:45 PM.

Comment

pic #2 of German POW Camp 180 Oran Algeria N. Africa.
      Attached Files

Comment

Next pic is of German POW's in a Camp in France
        Attached Files

Comment

Last is a Inventory of personal items of a German POW Sani Leo Proppe in Camp Chaffee, Arkansas along with a Portrait photo of the POW's

Comment

Bill...no, not yet. But welcome anyone to provide information. I am guessing Texas or Mississippi or Alabama, or Georgia.
            CSP

sigpic

Comment

Scott,

The problem with those portrait POW pics unless something is printed on the reverse it is almost impossible to identify the location. Thanks for sharing - Bill

Comment

Internment Camp 30, Ottawa, Canada, July 1944.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi RoyA,

Didn't that one just sell on Ebay? I'm guessing you are the winner!! Congrats! Thanks for sharing!! - Bill

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz
                    Hi RoyA,

Didn't that one just sell on Ebay? I'm guessing you are the winner!! Congrats! Thanks for sharing!! - Bill
                    Bill, I hope I wasn't bidding against you.

Roy

Comment

It is really cool to look and see that some of the prisoners got to retain their medals, especially those who were owners of the RK!

Comment

Here is one of a group of Luftwaffe Aircrew interned in The Curragh Camp, Republic of Ireland in 1940. Their aircraft crashed on Mount Brandon, Killarney, Co. Kerry. They were to be joined by other Luftwaffe and British crews later in the war. The Luftwaffe took advantage of Ireland's Neutrality, the RAF men were just unlucky to have effected emergency landings in the wrong country!
                        Last edited by Harry; 07-10-2007, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Hi RoyA.

Actually you were until the price got crazy and I stopped. That is life on Ebastards!! Pics that normally don't sell well suddenly do sell and at higher prices than normal. I've seen really crazy prices but I set my own limits when bidding and that means I usually don't win the photo(s). Bill (Pak88mann)

Rolf,

I share your sentiments on viewing POW's still wearing their medals and decorations...especially in the photos taken at the Canadian camps. They were allowed to wear their decorations to the end. This is also true in a few of the French POW camps but not in the British and American camps. Bill

Harry,

Thanks for posting your pic of German (internees?) POW's in Ireland. I didn't realize that Ireland was neutral during the war? I thought it had been occupied by British Troops for quite some time before WW2. Didn't they have Irish troops fighting in the War? I also know that American troops were stationed there during the war as well. That wouldn't have happened if the country were neutral.... just some thoughts - Bill

Comment

Bill,

The Republic of Ireland (Eire) gained its independance from Great Britain in 1922, but 6 counties in the North of Ireland remained (and still do!) part of the UK. The Republic was neutral during WW2 which meant that both Axis and Allied airmen were interned/imprisoned for the duration of the war. Many men from the Republic did indeed join up on a voluntary basis with the British Army and RAF as they felt it their duty to defeat Nazi-ism. This included my uncle, Wing Comander John Bolger from Wexford town, Ireland. He flew with the RAF during the entire war and saw action in the Battle of Britain, as well as anti-sub raids over Narvik and raids over Germany. Other well Known Irishmen flew with the RAF, such as Paddy Finucane, one of the highest scoring aces of the RAF in WW2. Also Bill, there were NO US troops stationed in Eire during WW2, the may have been in Northern Ireland, a completely different country as it was, and is, part of the UK.

Comment

Here's a photo of SS grenadiers taken prissoner in Arnhem during "market garden".

regards,

peter
                              Attached Files

Comment

Harry,

Thanks for the history lesson. I acquired some items in the past from GI's who had been stationed in Northern Ireland...although I should have known about the division between north and south. My family (Corcoran) came out of County Cork. My Mother was born in Hells Kitchen, Manhattan, NY Thanks.

Here is a recent pickup of a POW photo possibly located in France?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 13 users online. 0 members and 13 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X