The 3 Types of Rounder RK's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom, Dave, Dietrich,

Just to clarify this bit about the plated KC. We won't know for certain if my 800 marked KC is indeed plated brass as Dietrich suggests or is in fact 800 silver. We won't know until I have it tested. Until we know for certain we shouldn't draw far flung conclusions. Not good science. I am as curious about this as the rest of you.

I will have a jeweler do the rub test in several locations where it will be least noticable. I will have the rub done on an outside edge where plating , if any is usually the thinnest. This rub should easily go down to the base metal thru any plating that may exist. Again plating is not very thick and I will not be disfiguring this KC.

If there happens to be brass base metal I will report that. If there happens to be silver deep down then I would say that the brass color that Dietrich percieved under high power magnification is something else. I will report this also if it is the case.

As a sidebar, coin collectors are familiar with silver tarnishing to various hues from a gold all the way to a deep black. Something to consider if the results are that the KC is indeed silver as it is marked.

So let's wait until the results are in before we build such beautiful castles on an unverified premise.

Tony
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Tony,

it is good to get a second opinion and to do another test. But I'm 99.9% sure it is brass - or let's put it this way : it's not solid 800 silver but some very, very brass looking silver plated material.

Dietrich
      B&D PUBLISHING
      Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

I forgot to add..........

If my KC is plated, why is the ring at the top of the cross worn from the ribbon loop yet there is no brass showing there? That area would be the place of most friction from wear and would definately show any base metal.

Just an after thought.

Tony
        An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich
          That is not true. The cross is worn but the strike is well defined. Don't forget, the Rounder has a less defined beading anyway. In all fairness, I could not find the deterioration of the beading being that dramatical between the Rounder models as one would find with the very very late S&l's. But even with pre-45 models the difference between an 800 and a 935-4 is not really there (even if one goes with your repaired die theory ...), it starts relatively late.

I would be hard pressed to hang a time line on the Rounder beading - it would be wishfull thinking - one way or the other. Pure speculation in areas of sub-0.01 mm.

Dietrich

I think that you are far too forgiving! Early = sharp and Late = dull and flat!!

Find a little area SO obscure and have a gander
          Attached Files
          Regards,
          Dave

Comment

Don't cut your fingers!!!
            Attached Files
            Regards,
            Dave

Comment

How many strikes are between the two examples?
              B&D PUBLISHING
              Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

I knew you would ask that....27 by my best guess! It might be 28 but I'd rather error on the side of caution!

What a silly bloody question

Come on, let's be logical.
                Regards,
                Dave

Comment

"today we are not so gullible....answers ARE a keystroke away! Photos are instant."

Then I guess I'll be seeing those pictures of the British made S&L RKs any moment now.
                  George

Comment

Hold your breath George.............! Just trust that folks who spent $$$$ and have cherished something for years will publicly display their error!

I had one years ago as a 'prop' but didn't think that 20 years on one would have to PROVE it was REPRODUCTION!
                    Regards,
                    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1
                      Tom, Dave, Dietrich,

Just to clarify this bit about the plated KC. We won't know for certain if my 800 marked KC is indeed plated brass as Dietrich suggests or is in fact 800 silver. We won't know until I have it tested. Until we know for certain we shouldn't draw far flung conclusions. Not good science. I am as curious about this as the rest of you.

I will have a jeweler do the rub test in several locations where it will be least noticable. I will have the rub done on an outside edge where plating , if any is usually the thinnest. This rub should easily go down to the base metal thru any plating that may exist. Again plating is not very thick and I will not be disfiguring this KC.

If there happens to be brass base metal I will report that. If there happens to be silver deep down then I would say that the brass color that Dietrich percieved under high power magnification is something else. I will report this also if it is the case.

As a sidebar, coin collectors are familiar with silver tarnishing to various hues from a gold all the way to a deep black. Something to consider if the results are that the KC is indeed silver as it is marked.

So let's wait until the results are in before we build such beautiful castles on an unverified premise.

Tony

Sounds good! I really do not have any problem with a silver plated brass frame. That is what I think all the 3/4 rings have. I am just at issue with it being stamped "800" if it is silver plated. That just does not seem as something that an RK manufacturer would risk getting away with. The savings would be very small, but the consequences would be great. If it is solid silver, then that is great! That would be consistent with what the other RK manufacturers did.

Comment

Dave

I'm not asking anybody to prove that the alleged Brit-made RKs are reproductions. I'd just like to see one. (I'm not holding my breath on that, either.)
                        George

Comment

Same windmill, different day.

Of course the examples of the Rounders Dietrich has shown would be proof enough for anyone who didn't have a heavily burdened portfolio of Juncker RKs. Supply impacts Price, eh?

You'll never make a point with these two Dietrich until you provide the photographic evidence they've been demanding.

In the meantime, maybe someone could show ME a photograph of a Godet and a Zimmerman in wartime wear.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Several have been shown over these few months.............
                            Regards,
                            Dave

Comment

Welcome back, Brian!
                              George

Comment

"Several have been shown over these few months............."

Can you direct us to them? (Please do it here http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=110603 so this thread stays on topic.... if that is possible....)
                                George

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X