No announcement yet.

The 3 Types of Rounder RK's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Message deleted mistakenly by sloppy Moderator!
    Last edited by George Stimson; 07-22-2005, 03:45 PM. Reason: Ooops! I hit the wrong button!
    Regards,
    Dave

Comment

Sorry about your post, Dave! You said you saw about a dozen examples over a six month period and then the supply seemed to dry up? Were these a dozen different examples, or were some of them the same ones?
      George

Comment

My Civil rights!!!!!

Various dealers and all had Oaks attached....I can't recall seeing the 'type' just by itself.

I might be conserative about the dozen or so!
        Regards,
        Dave

Comment

Souval RKs

Here are Rudolf Souval's RK offerings, from the 1982 catalog. They're not pushing frosting as a feature.
          Attached Files
          George

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson
            Here are Rudolf Souval's RK offerings, from the 1982 catalog. They're not pushing frosting as a feature.
            Nor are they describing any details at all.

Comment

Right. Just whether they're made of real silver or not.
              George

Comment

... and I would guess that they just didn't "etch" one batch and "paint" another one - if at all!

Dietrich
                B&D PUBLISHING
                Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

And incidentally, when they say "real silver" I think they mean real silver, because elsewhere in the catalog they refer to items that are merely "versilbert" ("silvered," i.e., silver plated).
                  George

Comment

Back to logic.....it was asked 'why, would a repo maker use real silver'?

Here's the ultimate repo guy ( after John Floch of course! ) offering choices!!!!!!

Catch on lads...
                    Regards,
                    Dave

Comment

"Back to logic.....it was asked 'why, would a repo maker use real silver'?"

Was it asked here? http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&postcount=261
                      George

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson
                        "Back to logic.....it was asked 'why, would a repo maker use real silver'?"

Was it asked here? http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&postcount=261

Good point. If Floch is offering the options of real silver vs plated, then the simple presence of silver itself would tend not to be solid evidence of period pieces. In contrast, the presence of many "inappropriately labeled" "800" stamped silver plated items would be suspicious. I guess I can see an odd mistakenly labeled piece. However, if the whole lot is silver plated, that would be very strange. I could not see a maker of RKs trying to pull a fast one on the nazi governement for its entire production line and risking the consequences.

Comment

Tom,

this is now the 4th time I post this - chasing you from post to post, where you make this assertion or assumption that all Rounders are silver plated and incorrectly marked "800".

You tested my Rounder and so did I. It clearly showed silver. Plating ios very, very thin (in the micron area), so base material would heve shown up. In addition, etching in the sense of the cheimcal removal of copper form the 800 (or whatever grade) silver works only with silver not with plating.

So Tony's example is so far a 'one of a kind". Surely, there will be more of this type (the very early ones) but nobody knows, if all of them have been lableled incorrectly 800. Maybe, maybe not. It could easily be a mistake by the assembly guy. You cannot see if it's plated or pure.

And again, if you think that SEM would NOT show plating, then please think about the possibility that your tested S&L and Juncker and K&Q are also plated brass or whatever. I doubt that, hwoever.

Dietrich
                          B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich
                            Tom,

this is now the 4th time I post this - chasing you from post to post, where you make this assertion or assumption that all Rounders are silver plated and incorrectly marked "800".

You tested my Rounder and so did I. It clearly showed silver. Plating ios very, very thin (in the micron area), so base material would heve shown up. In addition, etching in the sense of the cheimcal removal of copper form the 800 (or whatever grade) silver works only with silver not with plating.

So Tony's example is so far a 'one of a kind". Surely, there will be more of this type (the very early ones) but nobody knows, if all of them have been lableled incorrectly 800. Maybe, maybe not. It could easily be a mistake by the assembly guy. You cannot see if it's plated or pure.

And again, if you think that SEM would NOT show plating, then please think about the possibility that your tested S&L and Juncker and K&Q are also plated brass or whatever. I doubt that, hwoever.

Dietrich

Dietrich- See the other thread. I agree that without some defect in the piece, it is not possible to tell with SEM whether a piece is plated or solid silver. I am not saying that all rounders are silver plated. I am saying that if further testing is done and it is found that many, if not all, rounders are silver plated and 800 marked, that would be VERY suspicious.

Comment

Oh, I certainly agree to that. But at least mine is not plated and 3 I know of right now have the "etched' frosting, so those are not plated for sure.

Dietrich
                              B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich
                                Oh, I certainly agree to that. But at least mine is not plated and 3 I know of right now have the "etched' frosting, so those are not plated for sure.

Dietrich
                                Back to this etched frosting. You are making that presumption, but there is no evidence that the presence of etching = solid silver. Perhaps if there was solid testing through whatever method jewelers use, the nick below the ring, or SEM evlauation over a defect showing solid silver pieces with etching, while the plated pieces do not, that would be good evidence. In the absence of that, it is a presumption and there is no firm evidence for that conclusion. If that relationship did prove to be true through formal testing, it would be a good screening tool.
                                Last edited by tom hansen; 07-24-2005, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X