The 3 Types of Rounder RK's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alikn
    There is no way that any of the awards-making company in any country, in old days or now days would stamp silver plated brass with silver content stamp (the stamp is for the metal it self not for plating), that would be a forgery, more trouble that profit, ...that is why they have content marks. There are many awards that are silver plated and gold plated none of them have content marks. unmarked rounders.

Alikn,

Never say never. I have a 1914 EKI that is stamped 800 and there is not much silver on it save what plating is left. The whole cross is made from a magnetic metal. All of it, the core, the frame, the pin and catch is all magnetic and it is marked 800. Being magnetic it is definately made from a ferrous metal such as iron for the core and most likely a mild sheet steel for the frame. The magnet doesn't lie. By the way this cross is three piece constuction and not a single strike.

Rules are not hard fast. The rules were and are today still being bent either intentionally or unintentionally in any manufacturing field. As I mentioned previously the LDO was charged with overseeing a problem that existed with material substitution. Otherwise why the stern edict in 1941 to forbid any other materials than iron and silver or neusilber in the construction of EK/KCs? It must have been a persistant problem to draw that kind of an official rebuke.

Just some thoughts.

Tony
    Last edited by Tiger 1; 07-19-2005, 09:03 AM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1
      Alikn,

Never say never. I have a 1914 EKI that is stamped 800 and there is not much silver on it save what plating is left. The whole cross is made from a magnetic metal. All of it, the core, the frame, the pin and catch is all magnetic and it is marked 800. Being magnetic it is definately made from a ferrous metal such as iron for the core and most likely a mild sheet steel for the frame. The magnet doesn't lie. By the way this cross is three piece constuction and not a single strike.

Rules are not hard fast. The rules were and are today still being bent either intentionally or unintentionally in any manufacturing field. As I mentioned previously the LDO was charged with overseeing a problem that existed with material substitution. Otherwise why the stern edict in 1941 to forbid any other materials than iron and silver or neusilber in the construction of EK/KCs? It must have been a persistant problem to draw that kind of an official rebuke.

Just some thoughts.

Tony
      Tony, rules breakers like this just shut down the "can't be" crowd. Keep this going by photographing this 'rule breaker' of yours. Better put a magnet on it and hold it sideways so...

Comment

Brian...good to have you back!!!

Any frosting on your Rounder? Any, stepping of the surface where the frosting was?
        Regards,
        Dave

Comment

Brian, good to have you back!

Dietrich
          B&D PUBLISHING
          Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Brian, does the flange look like this?
            Attached Files
            Regards,
            Dave

Comment

...not being a retired proctologist, I don't have the tools like you do...

But...

I am frosted.
              Attached Files

Comment

Much more workmanship than your example. Notice how the frosting was carefully kept to the edges and not spilled over the shiney part of the frame.
                Attached Files

Comment

I see thanks! Is there now a 4th type of Rounder where the application of frosting was limited to the beading and step completely avoiding the flange?

Good pictures Brian even for one lacking a tool
                  Regards,
                  Dave

Comment

Dave, you'll always be the sharpest tool in this workshop

Comment

Stop now....people will talk!

Here is another nice early cross (flange).....
                      Attached Files
                      Regards,
                      Dave

Comment

Regarding silver content

I would just like to add that both the "Rounders" that I own have silver frames, and have been professionally tested. Each has tested strongly, meeting at least an 80% silver content. Neither are plated.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben
                          I would just like to add that both the "Rounders" that I own have silver frames, and have been professionally tested. Each has tested strongly, meeting at least an 80% silver content. Neither are plated.

Chuck
                          How do you tell if something is plated or solid if there is no base metal available for testing? SEM will test the surface metal, but will allow surface testing only. Just curious, as the presence of pieces with silver via SEM testing may be plated. I guess a jeweler would certainly know, as they would have money riding on a clear determination of solid vs plated items. Anyone know?

Comment

In regard to the two pieces I own, both were tested by a local, highly respected, professional coin and jewelery dealer, with over 40 years experience, using the traditional, accepted methods of gold and silver testing within that industry. I have the same training and background, too, as an antique dealer, who for years has dealt in both vintage and quite antique gold and silver jewelery. My independent testing of my own crosses also resulted in the same conclusion as already stated. For those who may be fearful of this type of testing, when it is done properly, there is little if any trace of such testing found upon the object in question.

I, too, believe that SEM testing is a huge benifit to this hobby, but like you have said, it only tests a very small portion of the surface of whatever is tested.

Originally posted by tom hansen
                            How do you tell if something is plated or solid if there is no base metal available for testing? SEM will test the surface metal, but will allow surface testing only. Just curious, as the presence of pieces with silver via SEM testing may be plated. I guess a jeweler would certainly know, as they would have money riding on a clear determination of solid vs plated items. Anyone know?

Comment

Charles in layman's terms can you describe how the test for solver is conducted?
                              Regards,
                              Dave

Comment

Jeesus...is this thread still going?

Unless someone offers some solid evidence, this topic will keep going round, and round, and round....

R

P.S. Der Teufel Dave made me do it

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X