red waffenfarbe on black pz uniforms ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galizien41,

Would it be possible to please see a shot of the reverse of those tabs?

Thanks,
    Rob

Comment

Richard, this photo of yours is an Admin Official in a Panzer Wrapper. Just as rare(maybe rarer). Look at the shoulder boards. That is the reason he does not have the TK in the tabs. The waffenfarbe on the collar tabs looks really light(maybe pink)?
      Attached Files

Comment

The Black Wrap with red piping was part of the early uniform of the Sturmartillerie crews (the photos marked "von Aufsess" are not of Panzer crews, but StuG crews... see his excellent website dedicated to the StuG units).

Links to Black Wraps w red tabs:

http://www.die-sturmartillerie.com/ariLehr.htm

http://www.die-sturmartillerie.com/konv912.htm

There was also a "Signal" number (year 1940) that presented the new StuG weapon that portrayed many photos of Black Wrap clad crews.

The Black Wrap w red tabs continued to be worn throughout the war (the other experimental StuG wrap with dark green collar not http://www.die-sturmartillerie.com/konv912.htm) by StuG crews (mostly Officer) as a "presentation" cerimonial uniforms or for portrait shots (see the book about 276 StuGAbt). We can also notice that the "old" Black Wraps were retained by the StuG School Juterbog...

Of course the uniform could be donned by other PzArty units (some suggest that the Black Wrap w red piping and TK was issued also to StuG elements that formed one of the Abt in mixed Panzer-Rgt of late war Panzer Divisions: in one of the 2 Abts, the Panzer IVs or Vs were replaced by StuGs).
        Last edited by Lombardi; 11-07-2009, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Johnson View Post
          Sure... basically it says that during the 1940 campaign in the west, the Sturmgeschutz units used the same black uniform of the Panzertruppen with Totenköpfe on the collar tabs, but with red waffenfarbe (Artillery), not pink.

100% correct!

...and follows explaining that during 1941 the Feldgrau Wrap w red piped tabs AND w skulls supersed the Black Wrap w red piped tabs and skulls...

This is a nice Wrap...

Comment

Sturmartillerie tabs

John Wilson and PaulR, the pictures Richard posted on pages 48, 49, 50, and 51 all show the same guy. These are samples of 4 picture from the larger group in my collection. He is from a Sturmartillerie unit that wore black wraps with red piped tabs, and skulls removed per the issued order.

One of the photo collectors on this forum did a fairly good study a few years ago showing the difference between red piping and pink piping in period b&w photos. The is an obvious difference. All the b&w examples posted on this thread definately show red piping.

Comment

Sturmartillerie

Here is another example for you...
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
                John Wilson and PaulR, the pictures Richard posted on pages 48, 49, 50, and 51 all show the same guy. These are samples of 4 picture from the larger group in my collection. He is from a Sturmartillerie unit that wore black wraps with red piped tabs, and skulls removed per the issued order.

One of the photo collectors on this forum did a fairly good study a few years ago showing the difference between red piping and pink piping in period b&w photos. The is an obvious difference. All the b&w examples posted on this thread definately show red piping.
                Those are great photos. I do know anything about this guy? Same guy are not, he is definitately an Administrative Official in that photo I reposted.

BTW, those are some great tunics you posted!

Comment

Please post more fotos if you have them of your black wrapper,.Coseups would be very nice. Do you have a name and history for this admin offz? Many thanks,John Wilson

Comment

Sturmartillerie

Hi guys,

Sorry if I confused you with my posts, but the uniform I posted above does not belong to the guy in my photos.

PaulR you may be right, I didn't disagree, maybe he was promoted to admin. I know nothing about those boards he is wearing.

John I'll post more pictures of the wrap later in a seperate thread, and unfortunately I do not know any information about the guy in my pictures or the guy who owned my wrap.

Comment

Sturmartillerie

Another reference picture... (different group)
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sturmartillerie

And another...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the great additions John. Notice that at least two of the guys have their collars piped in red also. Great proof of red piped collars.
                          Richard

Comment

Originally posted by PaulR View Post
                            Richard, this photo of yours is an Admin Official in a Panzer Wrapper. Just as rare(maybe rarer). Look at the shoulder boards. That is the reason he does not have the TK in the tabs. The waffenfarbe on the collar tabs looks really light(maybe pink)?
                            If you look closely at the photograph, the color of the nebenfarbe on his shoulder board matches exactly to that of the outer piping of the collar tab. If this color is red, the most likely specialty match(there are only 2 with this nebenfarbe) is Artillery Measuring Service.

There is a single nebenfarbe specialty listed for pink, which is for a clothing depot official. I kinda doubt with this man's specialty that this would be an option, unless he was seriously wounded or there was some other situation.

Comment

Originally posted by galizien41 View Post
                              A pair of red piped skull tabs of mine.
                              Hello Jerry, can you show the reverse please, I like those skulls
                              Ciao.
                              Luca
                              Siam fatti cosi!

Comment

Oops just saw this again. I will make a picture and post it soon!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X