Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I'm mistaken, but haven't there been a few old photos floating around, showing such plates in SS households?

Also - the few I've seen for sale here and elsewhere on dealers sites all have the "Ehre die Scholle die uns ernährt" and are always referred to or labeled as a SS wedding plate. Granted that might not mean much, but it's a pattern I noticed.

Comment

Guys,

See my comment 676 and 677 - it´s easy.

And don´t just look at your historical SS literature - read and study it once in a while for presenting evidence for your claims and opinions.

Probably you can´t because you keep bitching about other´s here who keep this thread alive by sharing their knowledge and pics of their pieces.

Who wants to read your jealous comments again and again - that´s boring.

C´mon - show your pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Fay View Post
        Hello Der Hase Fee,
        I dont suppose there was any sources given to back up this pretty story? Perhaps a citation form a Universitat Verlag/University Press publication that had been peer reviewed? Anything to explain how that saying proves it is SS?
        My understanding of such plates is that regular plain folks also enjoyed having such wooden plates in their cupboard or hanging on the wall in their kitchen (maybe not always with that exact expression, but come on).
        I find it hard to imagine every one of them was presented by leaders of the SS.
        Nothing whatsoever, that's why I was reminded of the practices one can come across on e-Stand every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack83 View Post
          Maybe I'm mistaken, but haven't there been a few old photos floating around, showing such plates in SS households?
          Yeh, probably right. And then some from non SS households, for sure.

Originally posted by Jack83 View Post
          Also - the few I've seen for sale here and elsewhere on dealers sites all have the "Ehre die Scholle die uns ernährt" and are always referred to or labeled as a SS wedding plate. Granted that might not mean much, but it's a pattern I noticed.
          Of course - a scheme to bump up the price !

Comment

So the picture in the SS Family book is not evidence enough for you?

Does it not clearly show how in general an SS wedding plate looks like?

What do you need then?

A COA written by Himmler?

Comment

yes, of course Thorsten, it shows that. And they were definetely used. See also the oval bread plate in Mollo's pictorial history of the ss.

I think what has everyone frustrated is that this photo and similar other period photos are being used as evidence that any wooden plate found today with motto is ss. Himmler and the others were trying to capitalize on Germanic traditions by using traditional folk plates to lend credibility to the SS Order.

We cannot simply assume that a wooden folk plate found today was once associated strictly with the SS. These were also used in the WHF, correct? and other folk institutions including RAD etc. The whole NSDAP was grounded in the blood and soil mystique although it was Himmler who was first impressed with these things from Darre who put it in these exact terms. Correct me where I am mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
                So the picture in the SS Family book is not evidence enough for you?

Does it not clearly show how in general an SS wedding plate looks like?

What do you need then?

A COA written by Himmler?
                One more thing. We are not sure and never can be sure without testimony from those alive at the time and in the ss, just how widespread Weitzel's ideas were and to what extent that they were embraced. And were they em braced only by the elite or the troops. I hold Michael's opinion, that I don't really care as I find it interesting enough. That combined with HH's interest in archaeology and sippengemeinschaft is enough for me to say that these ideas were at the heart of the ss.

We have discussed before here that the consensus was that the Family Celebrations book was a limited publication and I even tried to start a poll of everyone who owned one. The results were poor. I don't know if it meant that not many people had them or if no-one had an interest in replying to my poll, but the consensus seemed to be that these books were not widespread.

In fact, I would say we know more about these ideas today than many ss members did then! Is that assuming too much?? Please comment.

We know of the great importance of the family unit and the need and celebration of procreation as well as the ss cult of the dagger and the julleuchter. But, as to the importance of the family chest and the tapestries and even the actual use of the wooden plates, we cannot be sure.
                Was that because it was hidden as were the prized allach awards and casks, or because it was not so?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. R View Post
                  One more thing. We are not sure and never can be sure without testimony from those alive at the time and in the ss, just how widespread Weitzel's ideas were and to what extent that they were embraced. And were they em braced only by the elite or the troops. I hold Michael's opinion, that I don't really care as I find it interesting enough. That combined with HH's interest in archaeology and sippengemeinschaft is enough for me to say that these ideas were at the heart of the ss.

We have discussed before here that the consensus was that the Family Celebrations book was a limited publication and I even tried to start a poll of everyone who owned one. The results were poor. I don't know if it meant that not many people had them or if no-one had an interest in replying to my poll, but the consensus seemed to be that these books were not widespread.

In fact, I would say we know more about these ideas today than many ss members did then! Is that assuming too much?? Please comment.

We know of the great importance of the family unit and the need and celebration of procreation as well as the ss cult of the dagger and the julleuchter. But, as to the importance of the family chest and the tapestries and even the actual use of the wooden plates, we cannot be sure.
                  Was that because it was hidden as were the prized allach awards and casks, or because it was not so?
                  Don

A good article in Miltaria heft 6 2003 about bread plates, I think you would enjoy if you don't have it already. ( German txt.)

Most areas of TR collecting are well documented, cultural items are not, in some respects makes this are more fascinating, new things to learn. I thoroughly enjoy this area.

Comment

Don't have it and never saw it Steve. But these are the interesting articles to me also.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. R View Post
                      Don't have it and never saw it Steve. But these are the interesting articles to me also.
                      Don,

A collector friend of mine on here kindly told me about it last year. You may be able to buy a back issue from Patwall Publishing.

None on Amazon at the moment but this is what I'm referring to. http://www.amazon.de/MILITARIA-Heft-...015008&sr=1-61

Comment

few nice images from a book I found last weekend...
                        IMO..if you love this cultural Items kind of stuff..you should not care if it is SS,WH,RAD or even 3rd Reich

btw all Items shown are before 1900

the bottom one is a waffle Iron from 1825
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Thälmannpionier; 04-05-2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

m
                          Attached Files

Comment

l
                            Attached Files

Comment

Darre
                              Attached Files

Comment

Quedlinburg

I'm sure some of you cultural collectors have one of these. I bought one this last weekend.

There are reproductions about but they are crude from what I've seen. I'm confident this is a good one but I'd welcome your opinions too.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 24 users online. 0 members and 24 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X