• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cultural runic marriage tray

Originally posted by Michael Fay View Post
    Here is the photo from MEHT-this time , I hope
    I'm bringing this item i now have back for your consideration:

I want to bring this never before seen piece back into discussion that MEHT showed us:
    I would like other's ideas or information.
    Here was My conjencture:

"...slightly different than most items we see. A very interesting difference-even with the teller. I believe the tray is showing the resurgence in an interest in heraldic devices for family names. If an old heraldry was not known, a new heraldric design was to be made(with runic motifs if possible)...for those who wanted them. And yes, some in the SS would have gone for this for sure.
    ---In my humble opinion. "

Below was MEHT's information

Quote:
    Originally Posted by m-e-h-t
    Michael,

the tray is showing the year of marriage (1941), the first letter of their names, and their year of birth, but what is the meaning of the numbers above the runes? Must have a relation to their family, but which? Couldnt be the year of birth of their parents ...

Anybody else have any ideas? or guesses?

That was my original posting.
    Now for some images showing a bit of research I put in to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Fay View Post
      I'm bringing this item i now have back for your consideration:

I want to bring this never before seen piece back into discussion that MEHT showed us:
      I would like other's ideas or information.
      Here was My conjencture:

"...slightly different than most items we see. A very interesting difference-even with the teller. I believe the tray is showing the resurgence in an interest in heraldic devices for family names. If an old heraldry was not known, a new heraldric design was to be made(with runic motifs if possible)...for those who wanted them. And yes, some in the SS would have gone for this for sure.
      ---In my humble opinion. "

Below was MEHT's information

Quote:
      Originally Posted by m-e-h-t
      Michael,

the tray is showing the year of marriage (1941), the first letter of their names, and their year of birth, but what is the meaning of the numbers above the runes? Must have a relation to their family, but which? Couldnt be the year of birth of their parents ...

Anybody else have any ideas? or guesses?

That was my original posting.
      Now for some images showing a bit of research I put in to it.
      OK first the tray
      Attached Files

Comment

Sippen clan marked tray

Notice the very similar runic Zeichen usage in the SS Germanien and the SS newspaper.

May be a type of Sippen clan marked tray...with the commemoration of two family units conjoining together.
        And it may be SS. No definite proof, but i like these odds, heck i like it no matter who made it and used it...definitely somone who followed the same ideals.
        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice wedding plate, Michael.

Enjoy your hobby and your life - it´s well worth it.

Comment

Some typical candleholders of the period

Here are some more examples of typical candleholders from the period.

As stated by the initial owner the one with the leaves is from 1940 and the other one is from around 1935 - both pieces show within their construction a kind of Irminsul motif and I assume they have been in use as candleholders for decorating a table or sideboard and may also very well been in use as Sippenleuchter.
            Attached Files

Comment

Neuzeitlichte

I found this old brochure in the back of a DHW catalogue. 'Neuzeitlichte', a word I've not seen before
              Attached Files

Comment

I think they mean just ''modern''( neuzeitliche) furniture.And not neuzeitLICHTE.

Etienne

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne B. View Post
                  I think they mean just ''modern''( neuzeitliche) furniture.

Etienne
                  Yes, sorry, my typo! Like fresh modern style or something like that maybe.

Comment

Yes, like in the songs of the period:

"...Mit uns da kommt eine neue Zeit..." - interesting to note that they decorate furniture pieces with polished marble, quite heavy beasts these are.

Must habe been quite expensive as well - nice to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
                      Here are some more examples of typical candleholders from the period.

As stated by the initial owner the one with the leaves is from 1940 and the other one is from around 1935 - both pieces show within their construction a kind of Irminsul motif and I assume they have been in use as candleholders for decorating a table or sideboard and may also very well been in use as Sippenleuchter.
                      The irminsul is an attractive shape.

Does the second one have the wood detailing applied on metal or is it all wood? Is the body of the piece wood or metal? It looks like metal but hard to tell for sure from the picture.

Comment

The second one is completely a massive block of wood - the leaves are just kept in the natural colour of the wood while the rest is painted or in whatever technique coloured darkbrown which also fits since it´s a natural colour as well and not shiny.

I can add more pics later - just the cups are hammered metal and well made by hand.

At that time as we know and value that fact much more skillful craftmen were around.

Comment

I have cleaned this thread of some of the recent post's if there are issues which any piece listed here start a new thread about that item and state your case.

AS for the deal that went wrong again does not belong in this thread

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Wood View Post
                            I have cleaned this thread of some of the recent post's if there are issues which any piece listed here start a new thread about that item and state your case.

AS for the deal that went wrong again does not belong in this thread
                            Thank you, Gary.

Comment

As promised here are more pics of the 1940 candleholder:
                              Attached Files

Comment

More details:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 254 users online. 0 members and 254 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X