X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached Files

Comment

A couple of shots, before the war and just after the war before they were blown up...
      Attached Files

Comment

More great pix, Michael! THANKS for sharing them! The last two of the end of the Luitpold Arena closer to the Party Congress Hall are particularly fascinating; both taken from the rear of the platform building, the later one shows a stairwell going down to a lower level of the stands which does not exist in the earlier photo. I do enjoy such behind-the-scenes photos, and particularly in this case since we are not able to explore the actual site to see what was where...the Luitpold Arena stands having been completely torn down after the war, leaving only the WWI Memorial building to which AH and Röhm in 1933 and AH, Lutze and Himmler ceremonially walked during the RPTs from 1934 on. Exciting stuff!

Br. James

Comment

Fantastic photos, thanks for posting them

Comment

These are fabulous images! Many thanks for posting them.
            Erich
            Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich B. View Post
              These are fabulous images! Many thanks for posting them.
              Erich
              Afeast for the eye, Thanks for posting mike. especially like the golden eagle in color! it must have been glorious to see in person.

Comment

This thread just keeps getting better!
                Not sure I remember this angle at the FHH posted yet...
                Attached Files

Comment

I agree Br. James, having the rear wall of the stand below the eagle before and after shots makes for an interesting comparison. One forgets that the stands were all hollow, and the removed rear wall gives a good idea of how people came and went.

Comment

Yes indeed, Tony, and these pix also confirm (if any confirmation is necessary!) that the rostrum buildings themselves also changed over the years. The first noticeable change can be seen when comparing the two Riefenstahl films of the RPT -- 1933's "Victory of Faith" and 1934's "Triumph of the Will" -- where, in '33, the Luitpoldhain Rostrum is only a wooden platform, but by '34 the rostrum base had been rebuilt in stone and Schmid-Ehmen's two giant Hoheitsadlernbiggest were perched at the ends of the building's stone 'arms' which reached out from the central rostrum section. But the biggest change of all was the transformation of the Zeppelinwiese Rostrum from a wooden base which supported Speer's giant wooden eagle in 1934 to the neo-classical extravaganza in stone which that building would become by 1936. Every year a visitor to the Party Congresses came to Nürnberg in expectation of what he/she would be overwhelmed to see!

Br. James

Comment

Found this interesting photo which looks like a period model of the Mahnmal ?
                      Attached Files

Comment

A great photo, Erich! I wonder whether this may have been the model Prof. Troost used when he was designing the Mahnmal? There must have been photos of other views of the building...somewhere?!

Br. James

Comment

See here at post 381

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...361077&page=26

Comment

Originally posted by Panzer Rob View Post
                            Can anyone here give an estimate on what these statues tend to sell for when they actually trade hands? I'm guessing that these sell from collector to collector, "behind the scenes" so to speak and never even come close to hitting the open market...

Are we talking $3,000? $5,000? $10,000? More?

After seeing Erich's, I may start hunting for one myself

Thanks in advance,
                            Rob
                            What ever the actual worth is on these Statues, I wouldn't take $10,000.00 for mine. If I changed my mind...$10,000.00 wouldn't buy it back. All the Best,Butch

Comment

The value would be considerably less than 10K IMO. I bought mine so long ago the price I paid would have no bearing on whatever the current price range might be--I really don't know what the market would bear.
                              Erich
                              Festina lente!

Comment

What ever the actual worth is on these Statues, I wouldn't take $10,000.00 for mine. If I changed my mind...$10,000.00 wouldn't buy it back. All the Best,Butch
                                I bought mine so long ago the price I paid would have no bearing on whatever the current price range
                                $10,000 is pretty steep, and I agree with Erich, no bearing on the current market. In 2011, 10,000 (Euro) bought someone this amazing 40 inch Bronze pre-war original Kurt Schmid-Ehmen Wall Eagle, - Photos Herman Historica- unfortunately this price also has no bearing on the current market as any original pre-war Kurt Schmid-Ehmens are now extremely hard to find- especially eagles- and expensive,

Best Regards,
                                Michael
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X