This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Erich,

Yes thats the picture i was thinking of. I couldn't find it yesterday. I did not expect to see the cleaning of the streets and such so early after the war. Guess they did destroy the monument quite early then.

It's pretty unbelieveable that the FHH did survive when looking at your picture.

I was in Munich for the last time last summer and it's pretty bad to see how they are dealing with the last remains of this period. The bronze plate with the names of the fallen policemen in front of the FHH had also disappeared.

As someone who is interested in history it was also terrible to see that the foundations of the Ehrentempel are currently being used to hold building and construction equipment for new buildings for an educational centre on the original grounds of the Braune Haus. The foundations themselves are in terrible condition.

Comment

Originally posted by jabnus View Post
      The bronze plate with the names of the fallen policemen in front of the FHH had also disappeared.
      Maybe is fell victim to a "precious metal" thief ?

Comment

Originally posted by der-hase-fee View Post
        Maybe is fell victim to a "precious metal" thief ?
        Think I read that the plaque was relocated but not sure where.

Comment

I had heard that there were plans to build an educational center where the Brown House stood, probably akin to the similar centers in Berlin on the site of Gestapo Headquarters at Prinz-Albrechtstr. 8, and on the Obersalzberg where the Platterhof/General Walker Hotel once stood. When I visited Munich more than ten years ago, the site of the Brown House was a nicely-trimmed lawn behind one of the Temples of Honor, and it would seem in keeping with the recent history of the Königsplatz that an educational center would be built there. One would hope that such a center would also include access to the underground passageways which once connected the Brown House with the Führerbau and the Party Administration Building via the Temples of Honor -- that would truly be worth seeing! And it would be in keeping with the tunnel connections under the Obersalzberg. Life goes on...

Br. James

Comment

I had heard that there were plans to build an educational center where the Brown House stood, probably akin to the similar centers in Berlin on the site of Gestapo Headquarters at Prinz-Albrechtstr. 8, and on the Obersalzberg where the Platterhof/General Walker Hotel once stood. When I visited Munich more than ten years ago, the site of the Brown House was a nicely-trimmed lawn behind one of the Temples of Honor, and it would seem in keeping with the recent history of the Königsplatz that an educational center would be built there. One would hope that such a center would also include access to the underground passageways which once connected the Brown House with the Führerbau and the Party Administration Building via the Temples of Honor -- that would truly be worth seeing! And it would be in keeping with the tunnel connections under the Obersalzberg. Life goes on...

Br. James

Comment

Apologies for the double-strike of my last note here!

Br. James

Comment

An issue from a few years ago of the Military Adviser has a wonderful article on the history and making of the Mahnmal.

Comment

That's right, Erich; it's the Summer 2009 issue...though Roger Bender tells me that he has none left to sell as back issues. When I received my current issue in the mail (Winter 2012/13) I immediately noticed that the keynote essay by Jeff Hansen is listed as "Part II," though there is no direct reference to when Part I was published. I checked the last few issues and found no Part I, so I called Roger and he told me where to find it. In the Summer 2009 issue there is no reference to that essay -- also titled: "Und Ihr Habt Doch Gesiegt!" -- as being part of a larger monograph project by Jeff, but it clearly ties the two together very nicely. Each of the essays stands alone as to content and I congratulate Jeff on providing a fine reference service to the TR collecting community!

Br. James

Comment

Jeff is a true scholar of the early movement and the 9th of Nov celebrations. He has done an amazing job putting all the research together for both articles and I look forward to reading part two.

Comment

Part 2 was fantastic reading for me a couple of weeks ago However I also missed part 1

Comment

I add some photography I've not seen in the thread. I think very interesting

Comment

Very interesting photo's!

Are there camouflage nets over the temples? That seems useless as their location by an air raid would be quite easy to locate because of the big buildings flanking them on the sides...(just aim in the middle)

Seeing these photos makes me sad as i visited them last year and they are in terrible condition and one was used by the constructionworker as a platform to hold heavy buildingmaterial for the new documentationcentre.

Comment

Yes, it does look like there's camouflage netting on one of the temples -- the third photo down.

Br. James

Comment

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MONUMENT COFFINS? 2ND PIC SHOWS LIDS ASKEW ....AND WHAT WERE THEY MADE OF?? EC

Comment

third pic i meant .. EC

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X