This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Shane,

I'm delighted that our colleague, Chen, was able to locate the very photo that I remembered from the recent past! It does speak volumes on how the Allied Occupation Forces as well as the Munich citizenry viewed the end of WWII for them.

As I have mentioned in previous notes, the eagle and swastika designed by Curt Schmid-Ehmen for the Mahnmal in the Feldherrnhalle was a larger version of the pair of eagles/swaz on standards that he designed and produced as decorations for the main entrance of the Braunes Haus, and a pair of these eagles were cast and mounted flanking the wrought iron gates there in/about 1931, when that NSDAP HQ building opened for business. Just as the eagle atop the Mahnmal was a unique design, so too were the two at the Brown House; identical to the Mahnmal though smaller. Indeed, I have never seen any other version of that design, made either by Schmid-Ehmen or any other artist, and the Mahnmal eagle/swaz was quite different from the Hoheitsadlern at the Luitpold Arena in Nuremberg. In fact, that earlier design more closely resembled the eagle/swaz atop the DE Standards. What I have always wondered was: what happened to the two eagles/swaz from the entranceway to the Braunes Haus? I can only imagine how valuable one or both of those eagles would be if they were found today!!

As to the destruction of the Mahnmal in the summer of 1945 -- and of all the other buildings and monuments throughout Nazi Germany -- as I understand it, it was either the Allied occupying forces in each area, or the Nazis themselves (to a lesser degree) who destroyed most of the major buildings and monuments as the war came to an end. (I am thinking of Julius Schaub's journey from Berlin to the Obersalzberg in late April of 1945, at Hitler's command, that brought final destruction to the Berghof and many of its contents, though the whole area had been severely bombed by the British earlier that month.

While much had been done by Goebbels' organization to give the impression that the German people stood as one behind their Führer, right up till the end of the Third Reich, I think that perhaps most of the common people who lived through the incessant Allied bombing and the war on the ground were happy to see an end to the destruction and terror that every day and night brought to them. I think many came to see that Hitler and the NSDAP were the cause of their starvation, injury and death, and any further association with the symbols of Nazism were not seen as 'works of art to be treasured for the ages' but of the cause of terrible suffering and death to countless German families. None of us lived through those times in Germany, and that is perhaps how we can see those symbols today as 'works of art,' but if we had had the personal experience of what those symbols meant to many in Germany and the grief and sorrow of the war dead, we might perhaps be less objective today.

Don't get me wrong: I have enjoyed studying and collecting this period since I was 14 or 15 years old and I enjoy it just as much today, but I can never allow myself to gloss over what these symbols meant to an earlier generation...no matter how beautifully they were designed and how skillfully they were produced.

Br. James

Comment

Absolutely spot on Br James.

Comment

Hi Br. James,
        Excellent answer, I also have not seen the Brown House eagles in photos since the war and I guess that was my point, Kurt Schmid-Ehmen was a great sculptor resposible for some of the most Iconic stylised art-deco eagle designs of the 20th century and although many people must have hated them and enjoyed destroying them, they were still Iconic and should be recognised for that. I haven't seen the eagles from the Braunes Haus gates that you and mention or the Munich gate eagle that Michael mentions but am hoping they get posted as there does not seem to be many of these around anymore.

I am also suprised that you didn't chime in when Michael mentioned Reichminister Kerrl as from what I remember reading about him when I was younger makes me think that you and he might have something in common (faith related only of course-),

Thanks again for your insightful thoughts,

Comment

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your response to my earlier note. I'm not quite sure what you were referring to when you wrote: "I am also suprised that you didn't chime in when Michael mentioned Reichminister Kerrl as from what I remember reading about him when I was younger makes me think that you and he might have something in common (faith related only of course-)." I did know that Hanns Kerrl headed the organization which supported and produced the annual RPTs, though I was not aware that the Hoheitsadler "was done ONLY ONCE in small form by Professor Kurt Schmid-Ehmen as a commission by the city of Nurnberg in 1937 for the birthday of Reichminister Kerrl..." (Thanks for that juicy tidbit, Michael!) This is not surprising, of course, since Kerrl succeeded Gauleiter Julius Streicher as head of that organization when Streicher began to fall from grace within the NSDAP. (The first two editions of the official journal of the RPTs -- "Reichstagung in Nürnberg" 1933 and 1934 -- began with a hand-written statement from Streicher; the following four annual editions opened with a similar statement from Kerrl as publisher, Reichsminister and Secretary of State for Prussia, and the Leader of the ‘Reichsparteitag Nürnberg’ Association. I have always assumed that Kerrl was placed to succeed Streicher because of the political and lower governmental positions he held, not because of his being Reichsminister of Church Affairs! As you probably know, Kerrl was a very early Alterkämpfer, bearing NSDAP Membership Number 8651.)

As far as I know, I share no closer 'faith-related commonality' with Hanns Kerrl than you may, or do any of our other colleagues here who happen to also be Christians. Hope this is helpful information for you.

Br. James

Comment

Hi Br James,

Yes, That is what I was referring to - Wikepedia etc - "Hanns Kerrl (11 December 1887 – 12 December 1941) was a German Nazi politician. His most prominent position, from July 1935, was that of Reichsminister of Church Affairs". On 17 June 1934 he became Reichsminister without Portfolio. In the following year, on 16 July 1935, he was appointed Reichsminister für die kirchlichen Angelegenheiten (Minister of Ecclesiastical Affairs)"........... etc, etc.

I was making a joke based on a very loose "Theological Connection" between the two of you -maybe in bad taste, in which case I appologise. As usual you have provided some very welcome information about the Reichminister and early Alterkämpfer, bearing NSDAP Membership Number 8651 which I did not know.
            Cheers,
            Shaneos

Comment

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your clarification...which my usually-attuned sense of humor didn't pick up on. That is on me; no apology necessary, and no worries, mate!

Br. James

Comment

"I was not aware that the Hoheitsadler "was done ONLY ONCE in small form by Professor Kurt Schmid-Ehmen as a commission by the city of Nurnberg in 1937 for the birthday of Reichminister Kerrl..."
                Hi Michael & Br James, I looked this up and yes, it seems that this is correct, the signed notary letter from Kurt Schmid-Ehmens wife Hetty in Munich 1983 clearly states:

"The national emblem was done as an original sculpture ONLY ONCE in a small form by Professor Kurt Schmid-Ehmen: it is 26 cm high without pedastal and has a wingspan of 26 cm etc... and was commissioned by the city of Nurnberg in 1937 for Reichminister Kerrl etc.... the model for the small eagle was one of two eagles in the Luitpold Arena"

This would explain why I havn't seen any other of these small Kurt Schmid-Ehmen eagles around other than the Reichminister Kerrl version and the few post-war estate casts sold from time to time which have a lot less detail. I wonder however if Kurt made some small versions of the Mahnmal Eagle and if they are still around as I don't believe I have seen one (other than on these Mahnmal Desk pieces Mil & Erich show). It would make sense as they were as Iconic as the Luitpold Arena eagles as Br James says on the Brown House and its gates as well,

Cheers,
                Shaneos

Comment

Isn't there a photo of him sculpting the eagle in this thread?

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

That's them, thanks Chen

Comment

Re:
                        Hi Pete,

You've done wonderfully well! A great set indeed! And even though it certainly fits in as a thread right here, it would also be helpful to have it permanently pinned up under both "Putsch/ Feldherrnhalle Grouping" and under ""Mahnmal" monument centerpiece" for the future.

Cheers,

Br. James
                        Hi Br.James, I'm taking your advice and posting my Mahnmal Plaque here to go with Jon Fish's & Erichs and soon hopefully Petes,

Best Regards,
                        Michael
                        Attached Files

Comment

Michael,

It doesn't get any better that that! A super display

Comment

Outstanding display, Michael. Very tastefully done and with the fantastic poster.
                            GREAT TASTE!

Mil

Comment

Indeed a superb display, Michael, and your timing couldn't be more appropriate -- today marks the 90th anniversary of the events of 8/9 November 1923!

Cheers, mate, and many thanks,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                                Indeed a superb display, Michael, and your timing couldn't be more appropriate -- today marks the 90th anniversary of the events of 8/9 November 1923!

Cheers, mate, and many thanks,

Br. James
                                Yes, it's that time of year again!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X