X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It`s mine....

Comment

An original that looks to almost not have survived the war!

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
        An original that looks to almost not have survived the war!
        And forgot to mention with the addition of a homemade eagle.

Comment

A great piece in any collection, and the partial destruction is reminiscent of the fate of the original! Congratulations!

Br. James

Comment

Thats what you call Relic condition! Nice, bit far gone for me though. I'm still looking for one,not easy to find

Comment

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I have just found it on UTube. Excellent!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Up_VOr_80&feature=fvsr

Comment

Indeed this clip is excellent, wessel; thanks for reminding us of it! The one difficulty I have with this piece is the introductory music -- perhaps it is an indication of the years and manner in which I spent my youth, but that music calls to mind the Hammer Film from 1958, "The Horror of Dracula," which starred Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee! But I loved that movie, too!

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                  Indeed this clip is excellent, wessel; thanks for reminding us of it! The one difficulty I have with this piece is the introductory music -- perhaps it is an indication of the years and manner in which I spent my youth, but that music calls to mind the Hammer Film from 1958, "The Horror of Dracula," which starred Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee! But I loved that movie, too!

Br. James
                  There is a great shot in the film of a brown shirt showing the three most important party awards, the Blood Order, Coburg Badge and Gold Party badge. My guess is that the shirt belonged to Grimminger.

Comment

i noticed that as well.. also, i just watched the 1974 documentary "swastika" and it had that very same clip in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Swastika-Adolp...8462170&sr=8-1

Comment

gauleiter adolf wagner was buried in whats describe as a "grassy mound" between the 2 ehrentemple. anybody have a pic of that?

i have not noticed a mound of any kind in the pics i've seen.

Comment

Dear Jerry,

According to the Wikipedia description found at "Ehrentempel," Gauleiter Wagner's interment is mentioned thus: "When Gauleiter Adolf Wagner died from a stroke in 1944 he was interred metres away from the north temple in the adjacent grass mound in between the two temples." Further down the text in this Wikipedia description is written: "Adolf Wagner (buried in the grass mound between steps in 1944)." Also included is a photo of the South Temple adjacent to the Party Administration Building as it would have been seen from an upper floor in the Brown House, showing the entrance staircase to this Temple and the small patches of lawn at the Temple's rear and extending around between the Temple and the Administration Building. This is the first time I've noticed this historical footnote and, like you, it has caught my eye! This seems to me to be a somewhat confused description since the only thing physically located "in between the two temples" was Briennerstrasse as it enters the Königsplatz and the sidewalks on either side of the street! The text also mentions that Wagner "was interred metres away from the north temple in the adjacent grass mound"..."between the steps..." The North Temple was the one adjacent to the Führerbau and it too had an entrance staircase at its rear -- toward the Brown House -- with small patches of lawn at the Temple's rear and extending around between the Temple and the Führerbau. There was a sidewalk providing access to the Temple's staircase beyond the small patches of lawn and then a large open lawn with trees that extended over most of the rear area of the North Temple along Briennerstrasse toward the Brown House. If Wagner had been buried according to this Wikipedia notation, it would have had to have been in one of the two small sections of lawn flanking the entrance staircase at the rear of the North Temple. To have permitted Wagner to have been interred in the large lawn between the North Temple and the Brown House seems as though it would have given undue significance to him, when the significance of the Temples of Honor was the sixteen "Putsch Martyrs" and not the Gauleiter of München-Oberbayern. It seems to me that burying him at the foot of the entrance staircase in the shadow of the North Temple -- the one closer to Hitler that he would have looked down upon from his office in the Führerbau -- would have been in keeping with the situation.

The Wikipedia note at "Ehrnetempel" includes a list of the names of all of the persons buried in the two Temples and that list includes "Adolf Wagner (buried in the grass mound between steps in 1944)."

Br. James

Comment

given wagner's stature in the party and hitler's high esteem, it seems unlikely he'd have just been buried out in the yard there wherever they found a spot.

it doesnt make any sense to bestow an honor like that and not have any kind of plan in mind.

Comment

heres a pic that is supposed to be from the funeral

http://kriegskitten.tumblr.com/post/...f-adolf-wagner

Comment

another angle.

it appears that the grave is right across from and in the middle between the 2 ehrentempel.

http://www.epier.com/BiddingForm.asp?1967975

Comment

Dear Jerry,

What is unclear to me is the source of this one-sentence comment that Wagner was buried on the grounds of the Ehrentempel in the first place. The Wikipedia note does not give a source for that sentence; perhaps you could say where you came across that information?

As to the significance of Gauleiter Adolf Wagner being buried next to the Ehrentempel...and therefore being forever personally associated with the 16 "Martyrs of the Movement"...if that actually took place, it was certainly not an offhand gesture or a last-minute decision, like being "buried out in the yard!" This would have required much authorization and planning; I assume it would be akin to burying the Mayor of Washington DC at the base of the Washington Monument. As it turned out, Wagner's funeral was the last time the Blood Banner was seen at a public event, and that too draws even more personal connection to the Temples of Honor and those who were entombed there; and we also know that Wagner was a recipient of the First Issue Blood Order -- yet another connection to that "hallowed ground."

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X