• Show
Clear All

???

Comment

Gebirgsjäger?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Murray View Post
        Befehl:

Do you have any more photos of that LW truck??
        I know nothing about tactical signs but a bit about vehicles.

The vehicle looks like an ex-Belgian Chevrolet of about 1940 but the front is so messed up it is hard to tell.

Bill
        Hi Bill!

Sorry for the late response. That is the only photo I have - unfortunately.

If this IS the sign of the 7.Fliegerdivision...then it could be a Belgian "Beutefahrzeug". (The 7.Fliegerdivision was part of the Luftflotte 2 in 1940)

P.S. What do you think about the exterior mirrors - unusual for a Chevrolet somehow.
        Last edited by Befehl227; 05-26-2009, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Any ideas, guys?

Comment

possible Das Reich emblem

This marking looks to be on some other vehicle besides a tank. The back of the photo has writing on it that indicates it may be a Das Reich vehicle. It was taken from an album, not by me, and the writing has the word Das, followed by a word that looks like Reich to me. However, the person who took the photo out of the album, took out some of the album page as well and the word I believe to be Reich is mostly covered with old album page residue. Any ideas on the unit this vehicle belonged to?
            Attached Files

Comment

John,

I have a partial answer for you. The picture is of the side panel of a captured French Char B1. A number of these were converted to carry a Flame Thrower in place of the main armament.

This picture shows one such, with the same insignia. I have a note that this is from 9th Panzer division, but cannot verify it.

HTH,

Chris Brown

Comment

Captured tank

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the help in identifying this insignia. Any idea what the German designation was for this tank?

John

Comment

panzer division ???

Comment

John,

done a bit of googling and it seems that there is a range of designations to choose from!

The link below is to a review of the book 'Flammpanzer German Flamethrowers 1941-45 By Thomas L. Jentz, Hilary Doyle, Peter Sarson' so should be reliable. They use Panzerkampfwagen B2 (F).

It seems all the early versions went to Panzer Abteilung (F) 102 (along with unconverted B2's) so that is probably the unit who's insignia you queried.

HTH,

Chris.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=B...age&q=&f=false

Comment

Originally posted by alex1980 View Post
                      Gebirgsjäger?
                      Hi

See http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...onen/2GebD.htm

Cheers
                      Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Brown View Post
                        John,

I have a partial answer for you. The picture is of the side panel of a captured French Char B1. A number of these were converted to carry a Flame Thrower in place of the main armament.

This picture shows one such, with the same insignia. I have a note that this is from 9th Panzer division, but cannot verify it.

HTH,

Chris Brown
                        The German designation for the tank is Flammwagen auf Panzerkampfwagen B2 (f) and the unit isignia is that of Panzer-Abteilung (F) 102 in Barbarossa. I don't know if 102 operated near 9 PD but it wasn't part of that division. Alan

Comment

Great pics!

Comment

German Flamethrower tank

Hi Chris, Alan,

Thanks for the help. Alan, what division would Pz. Abteilung (F) 102, have been attached to at the time they were using these tanks? Any idea?

John

Comment

John, 102 was under 17th Army which assigned it first to 24 Inf Div on 24th June 41 and then 296 Inf Div on 26th June before it returned to direct army command on 30th June. It was disbanded on 27th July. Alan

Comment

102nd Panzer Abteilung (F)

Originally posted by Alanmccoubrey View Post
                                John, 102 was under 17th Army which assigned it first to 24 Inf Div on 24th June 41 and then 296 Inf Div on 26th June before it returned to direct army command on 30th June. It was disbanded on 27th July. Alan
                                Hi Alan,

Thanks for the information. Well they were only around for one month. So my photo of their symbol, would date from 24/6/41-27/7/41. Were the French tanks scrapped after that or did the Germans continue to use them as flamethrower tanks?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 29 users online. 0 members and 29 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                                X