Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedkyZhuk View Post
    Possibly 17 Inf. Div.
    Did 17 Inf Div have a Luftwaffe unit attached ? The number plates are WL. Alan

Comment

More emblems to be identified, please:

THANKS

Comment

Starting at the top.
        An engineer company, non-motorised.

A howitzer battery, non-motorised.

Both 1st and 15th Infantry Divisions used a circle for the divisional sign in 1941, 15th was in PanzerGruppe G so it could be them.

I can't be sure of the tac sign on the mudguard, if it is a double arrow above the rectangle it is an engineer unit again, the sign on the door looks like a spare parts type of thing.

Could be 15th Infantry Division again. Alan

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanmccoubrey View Post
            Starting at the top.

Both 1st and 15th Infantry Divisions used a circle for the divisional sign in 1941, 15th was in PanzerGruppe G so it could be them.
            I think the third one (the circle emblem) might be a unit from 29.Inf.Div.(mot.). Their emblem is meant to be "Der Falke" (the falcon) but I have never seen any photographic evidence that this was ever used on their vehicles. Instead, various other symbols were used (for example, #273 and #274 here: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...e#post1765247). Note in these photos that they carry the numerals "2" and "3" on their mudguard, just like the vehicle in the above photo.

Also, I believe the city they're in is Smolensk (note the fortress wall on the hill in the background). That would therefore rule out both 1. and 15.Inf.Div.

Jason

Comment

yep It is Smolensk. That city is unmistakable. great shot to boot.
              Originally posted by jmark View Post
              I think the third one (the circle emblem) might be a unit from 29.Inf.Div.(mot.). Their emblem is meant to be "Der Falke" (the falcon) but I have never seen any photographic evidence that this was ever used on their vehicles. Instead, various other symbols were used (for example, #273 and #274 here: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...e#post1765247). Note in these photos that they carry the numerals "2" and "3" on their mudguard, just like the vehicle in the above photo.

Also, I believe the city they're in is Smolensk (note the fortress wall on the hill in the background). That would therefore rule out both 1. and 15.Inf.Div.

Jason

Comment

I do have to ask why it being Smolensk rules out 15th Inf Div as it passed through Smolensk on its way from Mogilev to Yelna. Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alanmccoubrey View Post
                  I do have to ask why it being Smolensk rules out 15th Inf Div as it passed through Smolensk on its way from Mogilev to Yelna. Alan
                  Hi Alan,

My sources indicate that 15.Inf.Div. was not in Smolensk at all in 1941. Their route from Mogilev to Yelnya went via Mstislavl and Pochinok, both of which are south and south-east of Smolensk respectively. From what I can tell, the first time 15.I.D. was in Smolensk was in April 1942. The photo in question was definitely taken during the attack on the city in mid-July 1941, and at this time, 15.I.D. was several hundred kilometres away. I still think the photo shows an as yet unidentified component of 29.Inf.Div.

I stand to be corrected!

Jason

Comment

Jason, The fighting units may well not have gone through Smolensk but since the Rollbahn went through the city then the support and supply elements of all divisions passed through the city. There is no photogragh or reference to a circular sign for 29th in "Die 29. Falke-Division 1936 -1945" in the Podzun series. Alan

Comment

Does anybody recognise these two emblems/symbols on the back of a Luftwaffe Sdkfz.250/3 (Flivo) in Stalingrad October 1942?

Jason

- - -
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jason

Your emblem is for Nachschub-Btl. 633. See unit emblems section at
                        www.wwiidaybyday.com

Cheers
                        Larry

Comment

It cannot be Nachschub-Btl. 633, because of its timeframe and location. Moreover, Sd.Kfz.250/3 cannot be found in an Nachschub-Btl.

The left symbol is documented in Schmitz/Thies Band 3 S.639 (unknown symbol #110) - the symbol was found on a side car of a Luftwaffe unit. I remember seeing the other symbol somewhere before, but I cannot say where, sorry!

Interesting stuff and I'd love to know the result. One of the markings must be Korps or Armee insignia.

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Takiguchi View Post
                            Interesting stuff and I'd love to know the result. One of the markings must be Korps or Armee insignia.
                            Akira, why must one of the marking be Korps or Armee? If so, do you mean Heer or Luftwaffe? This photo was taken within the sector of LI. Armeekorps, if that helps. And from what I can tell, the korps had the following major Luftwaffe units attached to it:
                            Flak-Rgt. 91 (I./9, I./37 u. III./F.A.S.)
                            Nahaufkl.Gruppe 4

I suspect the later would be a good candidate to have a 250/3 although I can't find an insignia anywhere for the Gruppe.

The insignia on the right looks like a cat's pupil with little lightning bolts (representative of signals) emanating from it... a perfect symbol for a Flivo!

All the best,
                            Jason

Comment

Originally posted by jmark View Post
                              Does anybody recognise these two emblems/symbols on the back of a Luftwaffe Sdkfz.250/3 (Flivo) in Stalingrad October 1942?

Jason

- - -
                              The left one must be VIII. Flieger-Korps.

Comment

Originally posted by Sturmkreuz View Post
                                More emblems to be identified, please:

1. picture shows a Pionierkompanie

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X