CollectorToCollector

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your unidintified vehicle photos here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Bill!

Here are two more interesting ones.
    I'm sorry Hans, no side windows

#1:

Comment

#2: should be the same

Comment

Hi Bill,

Any idea what the car is in photo #77?

Cheers,
        Larrister

Comment

Evening Larrister.
          I am still researching that photo. My first thought was a US make, probably of the Chrysler family but too many ID elements do not work. I have also found a lot of French makers cars that are very similar to contemporary US vehicles.

The registration plate seems to be civilian and of Western Europe not Eastern Europe so that narrows the search area. The truck behind the car is a Ford BB so that indicates Holland/Belgium.

By the way, it always helps from a research point of view if you know where your photo was taken. Certain classes of impressed/confiscated vehicles seemed to either end up in the same place outside the country of impression/confiscation or to stay in those countries. The time of the photo also helps. Vehicles impressed in Germany tended to keep civilian registrations through the French/Dutch/Belgian/Danish/Norwegian campaigns. By the time of the Russian campaign quite a few had gotten "Wehrmacht" plates of whichever organization had them.
          Whatever your vehicle is, I suspect it started as a chassis/cowl and had a coachbuilt two door cabriolet body fitted to it.
          I will keep looking.
          Cheers
          Bill

Comment

Evening Tim:

On your last two, I believe the vehicle on the left is a variant of the standard light car 4X4 built by several companies including BMW. The one on the right is, in my opinion, a DB 170VK
            The second photo is interesting. I cannot now ID it but note the sharply sloping bonnet line. It may not be German at all but I have a lot of family just arriving so will have to leave it for now.
            Cheers
            Bill
            Last edited by Bill Murray; 06-09-2005, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Tim:

Could be wrong but a lot of good ID clues.
              I will suggest that the other photo is Krupp L 2 H 143.
              Not too sure which variant, there were many. If you know the unit to which the truck belonged it would help. Since it is WH, it could be a personnel carrier. Cheers
              Bill

Comment

Hello,

I am posting this photo on behalf of lolle who says it came with some photos of Norway. The question is: What type of vehicle is it? (French vehicle with a pak added?) and was this type of vehicle used in Norway?

Best regards,
                Larrister
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello
                  i feel kind of stupid answering my own question, but after asking Larrister for help(thanks Larrister) i found some info. Seems like its a 37mm Pak
                  35/36 auf Infanterie Schlepper UE 630(f) .
                  Second question is still valid, was it used in Norway ? Can the number on the license plate be of any help ?
                  lolle

Comment

That looks like a renault made schlepper... See the oval tag in front If get a closer look you will see the Renault name.. Nice photo! Mike
                    Originally posted by lolle
                    Hello
                    i feel kind of stupid answering my own question, but after asking Larrister for help(thanks Larrister) i found some info. Seems like its a 37mm Pak
                    35/36 auf Infanterie Schlepper UE 630(f) .
                    Second question is still valid, was it used in Norway ? Can the number on the license plate be of any help ?
                    lolle

Comment

Morning Larrister:

Re: #77, what do you think of this. 1934 I think Reo. Unusual brand but many of the lesser American makes sold well in Holland, Belgium and Scandinavia.
                      Bill
                      Attached Files

Comment

Morning Bill,

It's actually 2.30am Sunday here as I write this. Are you saying that the photo you posted is the same make and model as the car in #77 or are you saying that it is similar? Comparing them there are similarities but many differences between the two. Is the car an American one? I cannot find anything that comes close to it. The "V" shaped front bumper should be a help in identifying it. Will keep looking. I appreciate the help you give me and other forum members. This is a very enjoyable passtime.

Cheers,
                        Larrister

Comment

Larrister:

Just a quickie:
                          It is the closest match I have found thus far and I have perused many hundred photos. It may not be the one, though. And yes if I understand the question, I am pretty well convinced 77 is an American car. Too many differences from French cars of the same era for me. I will keep looking but have honey-do's to do just now. it is 1130 hours Sunday here. No rest for the weary.
                          I will just add a Part II to this post.
                          I think I have said it on this forum and on several others as well that it can be very difficult to precisely identify passenger vehicles that have been fitted with coachbuilt as opposed to factory bodies. The vehicle in question, in my opinion, is fitted with such a body, probably a two or four door cabriolet.
                          If it is in fact a Reo, and it may well not be, it would have been supplied as a chassis/cowl (windscreen) with the front sheet metal and probably the side mounted spares and no body or rear wings. It may or may not have had a front bumper, most likely not, and even if supplied with main headlamps, they would have been replaced with European lighting which is larger than the US type common at the time.
                          The adding on of those items can make it really dicey to find a consistent set of identifiers that will let one say "This a ****and no doubt about it. Sometimes the differences are small enough to be pretty sure, sometimes you never really get it right or you are just not sure enough to say the mystery is solved. I think I have another couple of clips of Reos and if so will post the better of them here for more reference.
                          Cheers
                          Bill
                          Last edited by Bill Murray; 06-12-2005, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Hi Bill,

I went to the "Oldtimers" site and looked at some pics of Fords from the 1930s.
                            Some are similar to my photo. I believe your are right about the car in my photo.
                            The body is coach built which makes it difficult to identify. Here are some examples from the site.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 176 users online. 0 members and 176 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X