JR. on WAF - medamilitaria@gmail.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your unidintified vehicle photos here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep !

this photo is mine bill !
    and i cannot ID
    regards patrick

Comment

OOOPS:

Sorry, Patrick, didn't mean to steal your photo. I get so much off of Ebay here and in Germany and a few other countries I sometimes forget where I got them from. So we agree it is French?? If so that narrows my search a lot and maybe we will get an answer

I will drop in another one here. I know it is an FWD and I think it is an SU COE possibly ex French but this is the only photo I have of this particular style. Any help??
      Cheers
      Bill
      Attached Files

Comment

Here are two for Hans:

They are from another forum, indicated on the photos, and there is no agreement at all on a couple of vehicles. The first I have identified as a MB 170VK but others do not agree.
        Attached Files

Comment

The next one is a small WL convoy.

My thoughts were, from right to left, another MB and I cannot tell if it is a 170V or a 170VK. Second vehicle to me is a Krupp L3H163 and the third is an MB 3000S. Sounds crazy, but I do believe the last vehicle is an ex French Studebaker.
          Bill
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Bill Murray; 05-29-2005, 09:48 AM.

Comment

OM Ursus

Hi Bill,

The unidentified truck belonging to Patrick (post number 30);

"Here is another one I cannot ID. I long thought it was a Benz 3750 or 4500 but the louvres on the bonnet sides I have never seen on a Benz. Looks to be an impressed or requesitioned civilian vehicle. French, maybe?"

Is an OM Ursus, the right-hand drive lead me to check the Italian section of Vanderveen, and the louvres on the bonnet sides are quite distinctive for the OM Ursus, check it out on page 241 of Vanderveen.

Cheers
            Steve

Comment

You are good Steve, real good. I missed that entirely. Italian and French vehicles are something I am just now getting into.

I am a newbie here too and with 11 posts you are off to a very good start.

I have found this to be a very active and very knowledgable site and it has become my #1 bookmark several times a day. I "belong" to some 200 sites dealing with military history so that is saying quite a lot for this one.

Hope to see you do some posting and also to help out on these ID questions in the future.

Cheers
              Bill

Comment

Bill here is one to stump anyone, I think... I know the type of vehicle cannot be told but what the heck do you think it is being used for? I bought this from a fellow member and when he originally posted it we had trouble with it so give it whirl.... Mike
                Attached Files

Comment

Evening Mike:

I have seen this photo before, either here on this forum or on another devoted to German History. No one has advanced an opinion that I remember.

I can only offer a thought and I have no hard evidence to back that thought up.

All I can think of that would require some sort of air pumped into a tent and I am assuming here it is heated air, would be a hospital tent. Sadly, there are no markings that I have found yet on your photo that would indicate anything to support my theory. There are a couple of sites that deal with the German field hospital system that I will check and see if I can come up with a match and I will report back later if I hit something.
                  Cheers
                  Bill

Comment

Hello Bill, I was thinking along the lines of an operating tent with the truck being a airfiltration system. I can see into the tent a little and it does look like benches or something simular. Yes I remeber seeing this on the axis forums I think and I agree it is a hard one...
                    they must have been worried about enemy airforce as the truck is camoflaged with branches but no markings anywhere to even begin to guess....... thanks again Bill... Mike

Comment

hi steve

glad to see that you identified my truck. but if OM is italian, for me ursus is the polish OM, no ? which is exactly the complete demonination of this truck?
                      regards patrick

Comment

OM versus Ursus

Hi There Patrick,

Glad to help out with the picture.

As far as I can tell from Vanderveen, the Polish Ursus was made under licence from SPA, during the 1920s and 1930s, but the OM Ursus was an Italian vehicle that just happened to use the same name. The specs for the two vehicles are quite different;

OM Ursus;
                        6-cyl, 100-bhp engine (own CT1D 7980-cc diesel) driving rear wheels via 2x4 speed gearbox (with step-up gearing). Dual ratio rear axle. Air-over hydraulic brakes. Leaf-spring suspension. Tyre size 10.50-20. Wheelbase 4500 mm. Overall dimensions 7830x2330x2885 mm. Weight 5600 kg, gross 12000 kg.

Produced 1939-42, from 1941 also with C1T petrol engine. Cab with full (shown) or half-doors. Also supplied were 7-ton Titano trucks.
                        (pg 241)

Ursus A30
                        4-cyl, 45-bhp engine (own 2A 2873-cc sv) driving rear wheels via 4 speed gearbox. Mechanical brakes. Leaf-spring suspension. Tyre size 32x6. Wheelbase 3500 mm. Overall dimensions 5115x2000x25oo mm. Weight n/a.

Nearly 900 produced during the late 1920s and early 1930s under licence from the Italian Societa Piemontese Automobili (SPA model 25/C) Early vehicles had 35- and 40- bhp engines. Various body types, eg ambulance, fire truck;, also armoured car and 6x4 derivatives
                        (pg 276)

from "Historic Military Vehicle Directory", Bart Vanderveen,

Cheers
                        Steve

Comment

Mercedes-Benz

Hi Bill , thank you for the both Mercedes-Benz photos on this Thread.
                          The first photo is indeed a Mercedes-Benz 170 VK ( known as the Wehrmacht Kübelwagen from Mercedes-Benz ).
                          The WL Mercedes-Benz in front of the convoy is indeed a Mercedes-Benz 170V , Kübelwagen known as the Police type.
                          The car has the lower body with or without doors but delivered with the normall Kübelwagen Frontplate ( bumper ), this car has the standard bumper from the limousines and cabriolets.
                          The body is also smaller behind the bonnut than the 170VK.
                          The front window is down, the only 170V that can put the window down is the 170V Roadster and the Kübels.
                          A roadster is it not the window-whipers are on the upside of the frontwindow, the roadster has this on the bottomside.
                          In France there is a restored Mercedes-Benz 170 V Kübelwagen from Lecoq in "Polizei-Ausführung", see the photo.

Originally posted by Bill Murray
                          The next one is a small WL convoy.

My thoughts were, from right to left, another MB and I cannot tell if it is a 170V or a 170VK. Second vehicle to me is a Krupp L3H163 and the third is an MB 3000S. Sounds crazy, but I do believe the last vehicle is an ex French Studebaker.
                          Bill
                          Attached Files

Comment

I found a series of Estonian photos today and there are some very interesting things to view here. Once again, it a 1/2 ID question. The photo is, I believe of a Lend Lease Studebaker that was as supplied a 6X4 drive vehicle. Here in Estonia shortly after the end of the war it seems to be now a 4X2 drive truck.
                            Sorry, I am still trying to work through the language. The site is named EESTI ANTIIKAUTODEGALERII as far as I can tell.

Although I am reasonably fluent in English, Swedish, Spanish and so so in Portuguese, I am not good in this language family. From what I can understand, it belongs to a family of language that includes Hungarian, Finnish and the countries of Latvia, Estonia and perhaps Lithuania.

I would appreciate it if any members here from any of those countries could comment on this.
                            Bill
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Bill Murray; 05-30-2005, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Which vehicle is this type being used by the Luftwaffe? Notice the guy sitting on the front fender probably to lookout for enemy aircraft.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Todd:

Your vehicle is a 1938 Ford and it could be either from Germany or France or the Lowlands. I suspect, Germany. Would be an impressed vehicle if so or if from one of the other countries a confiscated vehicle. And, I rather think he is on the lookout for some girls, not aircraft.
                                Bill

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 82 users online. 0 members and 82 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X