Emedals - Medalbook

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Poll: The "French-made" KM badges are...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, Prosper said "Morgeon", not "Mourgeon".

At any rate, I think we've gone back and forth long enough with the anecdotes upon anecdotes. The accumulation of opinion pieces and "he said, she said" testimonies are fine but cannot substitute for hard evidence. Could we please agree to disagree on the oft repeated yet unsupportable anecdotes unless there is something new to report, and limit our future postings to new evidence. No one wants to read "did not, did too" over and over.

It's been suggested we close the thread, but I think the poll is still useful and interesting and unfortunately the software doesn't allow us to close the discussion and still keep the poll open. As long as discourse is civil we can continue, but overly emotive or repetitive posts will be deleted.

Please note that ALL CAPS and overuse of exclamation marks are poor forum etiquette.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

Hi Norm,
      When Prosper writes "Morgeon" it's a spelling mistake, Morgeon does not exist as a badge maker.
      You say that you are tired of the testimonies, that they are repetitive and that they bring nothing new. But for us in France they are important and the testimonies of those who have collected before us, who are interested in the subject before us, have as much interest as scientific analysis.
      That you decide to close this post, free to you, but what becomes the interest of a forum?
      Regards
      Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

The Mourgeon spelling comment was a joke — I guess lost in translation.

And you misinterpret my last post. I’m not tired of new testimonies, and I’ve always said we need all three types of evidence - anecdotal, historical and forensic.

What we need to avoid is the needless repetition of the very same anecdotes over and over again, adding pages of nothing new to the thread. New stories by those who haven’t yet said their piece is fine, but the Mourgeon story has been repeated over and over for the past 20 years in these discussions.

Anyone participating in this discussion should first review the past thread and this one to see what’s already been said, provide their viewpoint and then don’t belabour the point with unnecessary repetition.

I don’t want to close the thread, but if it deteriorates from discussion to long-winded repetition then it becomes of no interest to anyone. (Now I’ve repeated that message enough! )

Best regards,
        —-Norm

Comment

Ok Norm, but to take all the posts one by one to check if what we are going to talk about has not already been said, is long and tedious. Now sorry if I did a rehearsal, but I keep looking.
          Can be seen the number of years on this subject, it would be interesting to summarize what is endorsed by everyone, what do you think?
          Regards
          Chris

Comment

Chris,

Just a few points for clarification and consideration:

1. Even though it was my idea to have the new poll, I recommended to Norm a few days ago to close this thread. The reason was that it was taking too much time to moderate and nothing fundamentally new had been presented. The only reason the thread has sprung back to life is the microscopic analysis of Jo Rivett in his videos.

We have other badges and clasps to discuss and in the end, the "French" made badges are just one series of badges among many.

2. Norm did not agree with me, therefore the thread remains open, at least for now.

3. Long threads that require reading of the discussion from post 1 to the last post is nothing new on this forum. For example, this 500 post (now closed) thread on German Navy cap tallies:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=161009

Nothing new was being presented so the thread was closed. That does not stop collectors from posting an example and asking a question about it.

John

Comment

Ok John I understand, if I have some news I will contact you.
              Best regards
              Chris

Comment

Coming back to this thread after having been erazed 2 times ...
                I'm just very surprised somebody in this Forum could say "Lies" when somebody trustful like Chris is may be "repeating" his positive opinions on the discussion ? And trying to find new "arguments" for the long discussion ?
                A bit excessive and so unfair ! Is it the new form of discussion ?
                I have a lot of french 30's Regimental badges made like these french made badges , same colours , same non finished backs , same pin system ...
                I'll try to do some pics when i'll be back from Germany next week ...
                Comparing "Apple to Apple " and not comparing german made KM badges to french made KM badges !
                Nick

Comment

Nick,

In no way does Norm or me want to allow words like "lies" in a post. Please PM me with the posts by number with the posts you feel include personal insults and I will look at them.

I do not want to speak for Norm, but we generally do not want to repeat the same argument over and over. New information is fine.

Anyway, let me know what posts you are talking about when you get the chance and help me out a bit here. Thanks, John

Comment

I only found one post with the word "lie" or "lies" and it was not directed at Chris except indirectly and not personally.

In any case, just to be sure there is no doubt, that sentence was deleted.

John

Comment

IMO the post 118 is contrary to the good conduct rules observed in our Forum .
                      I don't feel really " insulted " but dismissing so violently and so uncourteously all french collectors in one time regarding their knowledges + long experience ?
                      ''insulting intelligence" , "fanatism to defend fakes" , "UFO wave" , "lies" ...
                      Are we in a fairly conducted discussion or in front of a dictatorial court ?
                      Nick

Comment

I see what you are saying. I will discuss that post with Norm to see if it needs editing, deletion, or nothing at all.

Right now, I do not see it as a very offensive post and I do not think it is attacking a particular person, but I might be wrong.

Like I said, I need to discuss it with Norm at this time.

Thanks for the comments, John

Comment

I hope this does not lead to further arguments without new information and there is nothing worse than keyboard attacks on each other. Most of us sitting around a table would never say most of these things and just enjoy the discussion over a beer or two.

So lets keep things under control and the fact that most of us just want to enjoy the hobby.

For the record, I have no position about these badges either way (sorry Norm) until further evidence is provided.

OK fellow collectors, give Norm and me a chance to review things.

John

Comment

Ok for me , no problem !
                            Nick

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                              For the record, I have no position about these badges either way (sorry Norm) until further evidence is provided.
                              That’s a perfectly valid position — option 4 in the poll.

I’m not pushing one way or the other in this discussion — just providing a sounding board and toning down the hyperbole — and sometimes getting Flak from both sides for the effort.

Best regards,
                              —-Norm

Comment

Nick - I very much look forward to photos of your 30's French badges with characteristics like the ones which are the subject of this thread.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X