Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Luc, welcome to the forum. Nice to have another Brit Airborne collector here.

Have you seen the button & loop fastening Denisson smock on display in the Hartenstien? It is shown on a figure in the Royal Signals display in the basement. What do you think of this one, if you have seen it? Have you seen the one shown in the book "Soldiers in Normandy; June 6th 1944"? I have seen many Belgian smocks over the years too. If you have one of these smocks it would be very useful if you could post some photos on the forum.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Ade,

Not very good photos at the moment, but here's one to start the comparision
      Attached Files
      Regards
      Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Sorry I thought I had some more, anyway I will try and take some more later, if my memory serves me right, its early/mid 50's marked jacket.

Tiny white label with red lettering
        Regards
        Si

Comment

Hi Simon, thank you for posting the pic. I am very familiar with this type of smock. They would only fool someone who has not handled an original wartime smock before. Note the long opening to the zip. They are very different in colour, buttons, fasteners, collar liner. As you say the label says it all.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Those smocks are quite good. I saw one at beltring this year for £15 (should have bought it), Saw another one about 4 months ago for €20.

Take a look at this ebay item. The rarest or perhaps just the most desirable piece of p37 webbing. I tried really hard for it but got outbid with seconds to go

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I think a Veteran friend of mine still has his original one tucked away somewhere so I`m hopeful of maybe getting that someday

Comment

Hi Des,

Wow that was a high price for a piece of kit..... How rare is it?? Worth the £550 price??
              Regards
              Si

Comment

Hi Simon,

Yes, it is an expensive piece of kit. They are very hard to find unfortunately!

Comment

Here go chaps,
                  Once down load some of these are not as clear as they appeared on the sites they came from, but until I get some better ones any thoughts/comments

First lot 1945 date BD
                  Attached Files
                  Regards
                  Si

Comment

sorry lets see if this comes out better
                    Attached Files
                    Regards
                    Si

Comment

still quality not good, but something for possible discussion
                      Attached Files
                      Regards
                      Si

Comment

description advises 1944 helmet named to LCpl Hardiman in Signal troop
                        Attached Files
                        Regards
                        Si

Comment

Prince Alberts Medal my local - any thoughts

caught this one on ebay just know any thoughts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I have never handled one of these and the pic's are not hot, but to my untrained eye it initially looks OK? Although most of my collection is gone these days I still keep an eye out for the odd one or two, if correct and as its my local Rgt then I will have a go at it.

a few years ago the market price would have been around £300 is this still good??

Thanks in advance
                          Regards
                          Si

Comment

Hello Simon,

The medal I connot comment on, but all the Airborne insignia on the BD Blouse is fake - the titles, the Pegasus and the Lion With Blue Wings

The helmet looks like a nice one, but I have always believed the camo to be a 1950s thing.

Thanks for showing

Comment

Hi Jack,

I thought the BD insignia was a bit ify, but its always nice to get another opinion, as for the helmet, I suppose it is possible to have been made in 44 and not get issued until after the war, hence post war finish?

I think the asking price is about £450?
                              Regards
                              Si

Comment

Hi Simon, I would agree with Jack re the BD. Not one any of us would want, unless it was for living history. Even then I would want nicer Pegasus'.

The medal is not my area, Tony is the man to ask

The Para helmet I would imagine was camo'ed post war, but it is impossible to tell for sure. The helmets saw use well into the late 1980's. Unless their is some good provenance with it, I would always play safe and say post war camo. Regarding the name was their any more info? The price, well not cheap, but the way things are going....

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X