X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The label on the inside:

Comment

Hi Ciaran, I would not buy that blouse. It is certainly an original BD. The wings appear to be post war type. The insignia might be original, but not to the blouse in my opinion.
      The good conduct stripe is original. (Ciaran, you have confused good conduct stripes with the red service chevrons )

Here is a link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Cheers, Ade.
      Last edited by Adrian Stevenson; 07-09-2004, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Hi Ciaran,

I agree with Ade when he says the BD is original (wow I never thought we would have to say whether a BD was original or not but it is certainly becoming like that ), the badges have been added and the wings are post war.

I would also like to add that the Parachute and Pegasus patches are fake

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

Here we go chaps,

whats your thoughts on these then
          Attached Files
          Regards
          Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

helmet 2
            Attached Files
            Regards
            Si

Comment

pic 2
              Attached Files
              Regards
              Si

Comment

pic 3
                Attached Files
                Regards
                Si

Comment

pic 4
                  Attached Files
                  Regards
                  Si

Comment

final one
                    Attached Files
                    Regards
                    Si

Comment

Here's another for comment may be the pic's but does this seem pinky to anyone else?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEBI:IT
                      Regards
                      Si

Comment

I don't know whether it was Ade or Tony who pinned this thread, but just to express my thanks as I am finding this a useful learning tool. Not everything sinks in, but the grey matter is expanding
                        Regards
                        Si

Comment

Hi Simon,

Yes, this is a very useful learning tool! Thanks to the moderators!

The first helmet is a first pattern with fibre rim but has had its leather chinstrap converted into a web chinstrap. I have seen alot of these conversions recently and most seem to be coming from Australia. I think they used them in the 50s as Tankers' helmets. I guess the web chinstrap was more practical. Oh btw the liner has been modified so the chinstrap will fit! The price is reasonable but remember it has been modified for post-war use.

The second helmet is being offered by a Dutch friend of mine. It is a good example of a first pattern fibre rim airborne helmet. I have handled this one so I know it is good! No problems with it although it will go for loads and the reserve is high! I wish I had a bit more money...

The Denison is a 2nd pattern and quite a nice one I think. Sound as...but remember the tail has been chopped, the insignia removed at some point and the minor damage. But I like it...!!! I reckon it'll go for £300-350+. I've got my Accuracy International AWP with Schmidt and Bender set up for this one!!

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=2262318102

I have seen a few groups like this in recent years and I have never trusted them. I bet it is very easy to make a group like this - buy the common stars and the cap badge, then get someone to put a name on the condolence slip and box of issue. A friend phoned me up recently and said he got a group very much like to this to a Chaplain attached to the Para Regt who was KIA on D-Day. I saw the group and didn't like it but didn't have the guts to say anything.

I just wondered what other members think about this ebay group and others like it? Is it easy to name the documents etc?

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

Hi Jack, I have dealt this seller several times in the past. I have always been very happy with all of our buys from him He does get very good stuff.

With regards to possible fake groups, I would always exercise caution, but I think that with the paper work in place you are fairly safe? Always check the box lable carefully and check the slip for any signs of reprinting. It would be impossible to remove and add a new name onto an original slip without it leaving a trace.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Jack & Ade,

I know I don't come out with too many pearls of wisdom unless I have been drinking, but, its late I am tired, so its very close to that.

Here's some food for thought for you on this item:-

a} Have you noticed that the label to the box is all lower case, where on would have thought it would have been typed properly?
                                b} May be because I am tired, but the typing on the document seems to be mainly in lower case and has it over typed something if you enlarge the photo.

Sorry for the poor quality of my photos but here's the only two I have for comparison, my grandfathers and godfathers
                                Attached Files
                                Regards
                                Si

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X