This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blimey,

Is that what a "Genuine SAS Smock" goes for now. Methinks I had better dig out my ones for Belters this year .

Well I did bid on the Denison windproof but didn't get anywhere near. I thought $250 was enough to be risking on what seems to be a field made piece. It went for 5 something in the end . I am wondering, should I start cutting up my 59 pattern smocks and start making these, there seems to be some money in em

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Yeah I know, its a crazy price. A friend of mine bought one of those windproof smocks in mint condition at Beltring some years ago. He paid £150 which I thought was crazy (this was when you could still buy 2nd patt denisons for £200). One hour after buying it some American guy offered him £250 for it. He sold it of course! but its ridiculous. I actually dont have one of those windproof smocks in my collection and I want one (I collect Infantry stuff too ) but they are too over the top price wise.

Comment

I know Des, It's all gawn mad!!!!

When I look at the current prices of stuff I sold only a couple of years ago it makes me want to weep. Mint Quorn industries assault jerkin with all the ties still tied up for £350 to an American chap 2 and a half years ago . I thought I was doing well as I had paid 150 some years before, Then someone pointed out it was worth in the region of a grand DOH!!!

Next time I come across a "Rare SAS Windproof" cheaply I'll let you know They do turn up reasonably from time to time. I have a pair of size five trousers which i wear at the summer shows (fat bastard they were meant to be worn over bd) and I must have turned down a couple of hundred offers on them whilst I have been wearing them!! I always refuse as the thought of undressing in public doesn't really appeal, also they are the most comfortable pair I of trousers I own .

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Ummm since when did they use oversmock labels in Denisons??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...508032814&rd=1

Comment

Very suspect

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Des Thomas

Very Odd,

Jacket looks ok though so I am assuming it's a factory cock up. I have had several wind proofs with the wrong labels but I haven't seen it in denisons before. Well spotted Des.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Having said that the pictures are pretty gack aren't they. I wonder if theres a reason for that. No cuffs or reverse detail. Dont think I'de want to bid on the strength of those pics.

Guy.

Comment

Yes, the photos are extremely poor for something with such a large price tag. And you know what, I am pretty sure I bought a Para training helmet from this seller a few years back. I returned it because i felt the label was a bit dodgy. So therefore I am a little less inclined in thinking this is a factory mistake. The seller asserted in an email that the smock is all original after I specifically asked about the label. Buyer Beware I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Des Thomas

Brilliant seller!

What's your opnion on this one:
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

It looks like a DR helmet with added chinstraps, but the liner is different.

Luc

Comment

Luc,

I think its a Canadian DR Helmet. The Canadians altered these post war for their airborne troops.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
                        Very Odd,

Jacket looks ok though Yours, Guy.
                        I recieved some more pictures, it is a 1st pattern with buttons that are green on the outside and steel on the inside. The lower part of the tail is missing.
                        Luc

Comment

Hi Luc, well to me that confirms it is a 1946 pattern smock which has had a label added to it from an oversmock. I would not touch it with a barge pole

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Ade,

I forgot to mention CSM and DZ patches have been removed from the smock and it clearly shows, as a whole not a very nice smock indeed.
                            You'd have to be very desperate or ignorant to pay this amount of money for this item. Glad we agree!

Luc

Comment

I am always a bit wary of this seller after being ripped off by them aged 16 of two weeks wages for a fake "Hohenstafen" cuff title. £40 was a lot of money to me back in the 1970's.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Ade,

I wasn't into collecting back in the seventies; I guess I was preoccupied by breastfeeding , but I get your point.
                                Luc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 11 users online. 0 members and 11 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X