Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Attached Files
          Regards
          Si

Comment

Sorry the other thing as well, notice how the lower case typing is in-line with the upper part of the capitol letters
            Regards
            Si

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
              Hi Jack, I have dealt this seller several times in the past. I have always been very happy with all of our buys from him He does get very good stuff.

With regards to possible fake groups, I would always exercise caution, but I think that with the paper work in place you are fairly safe? Always check the box lable carefully and check the slip for any signs of reprinting. It would be impossible to remove and add a new name onto an original slip without it leaving a trace.

Cheers, Ade.
              Thanks for the reply, Ade.

I too have dealt with him before and he is a very good seller and as you say he does get some very nice stuff.

I think the dodgy part always is the paperwork and as you say the reprinting would be something to look out for. But what if the slip was unused and therefore blank? Surely a name and number etc could be printed on easily?

Cheers, from Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon 1964
                Sorry the other thing as well, notice how the lower case typing is in-line with the upper part of the capitol letters
                I do have to agree with you, the printing etc does look very amateurish.

I have never been completely satisfied with any of these Airborne groups I have seen before.

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

Hi Si, I think the problem is that these boxes do not all follow one pattern to the address labels. Lez and I have some typed, while others are hand done. I did notice the odd way the slip was typed. I cannot think why this was done? But I do not think it has been overwritten but there does appear to be some ink smudges over the top of the typing.

Hi Jack, if the slip was an original blank, then if filled in using an old typewiter, it would be impossible to tell If in any doubts you know what to do...

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
                    Hi Si, I think the problem is that these boxes do not all follow one pattern to the address labels. Lez and I have some typed, while others are hand done. I did notice the odd way the slip was typed. I cannot think why this was done? But I do not think it has been overwritten but there does appear to be some ink smudges over the top of the typing.

Hi Jack, if the slip was an original blank, then if filled in using an old typewiter, it would be impossible to tell If in any doubts you know what to do...

Cheers, Ade.
                    Yeah, every box is slightly different as you say

I think I don't like this set on ebay and I will be leaving it alone. I have not got the money anyway.

I have promised to keep away from this stuff unless I know for sure where it comes from.

This little discussion has reminded me of a group I used to own to a man called D. Day. It was fantastic. I sold it all ages ago then what should happen about a month ago? The very same D. Day is interviewed on Radio 4 about his experiences in WW2 and his funny name! Oh well another mistake of mine...the list gets longer

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

I am no airborne equipment expert but medals I feel I am able to comment on.

These boxed Airborne, Commando and Aircrew groups have been faked for years. It is a sad fact that most of these made up groups are from my home county of Lincolnshire. The certain gentleman in Lincolnshire who owns a shop has a reputation for fakes and has thus been banned from a number of auction houses. He regulary spends hours in his back room manufacturing this stuff. He even owns on old typewriter and more often or not tries to use orginal parchment to create his fakes.

As Adrian stated there is a lot of variation in original boxes. From past experience I have noticed that the fakers have never managed to get the box right unless it is an altered original.

The best advice I can give to anyone who wants to buy an original WW2 set is to buy a group with a named medal or if you cannot afford a group with a named medal its worth the time to take a trip to a Spinks Auction that way you can be certain what you are buying is a genuine airborne grouping. EBay is asking for trouble unless original paper work is included or you know the vendor. Its not worth the potential headache.

In my medal collection I only have one genuine Commando group with out a named medal however this collection also includes his fathers medals. This group cost me 25 British and was obtained straight from a house clearance a number of years ago. The box lid is written in blue biro as is the award slip.....if you are interested in what an original D Day Commando box looks like PM me and i will be happy to send you a few scans....better not to post here I think.

Steve.

Comment

Fakes..

The Chap in Lincolnshire who is manufacturing Airborne items wouldn't by chance also be using a rubber stamp marked "AIRBORNE USE ONLY" ? (actual stamp mark length is about 3inches)

..I have had some standard WW2 British webbing which has this stamp on it, and its source was from "Mid" Lincolnshire ...

Regards

Gary J.

Originally posted by yellow
                        I am no airborne equipment expert but medals I feel I am able to comment on.

These boxed Airborne, Commando and Aircrew groups have been faked for years. It is a sad fact that most of these made up groups are from my home county of Lincolnshire. The certain gentleman in Lincolnshire who owns a shop has a reputation for fakes and has thus been banned from a number of auction houses. He regulary spends hours in his back room manufacturing this stuff. He even owns on old typewriter and more often or not tries to use orginal parchment to create his fakes.

As Adrian stated there is a lot of variation in original boxes. From past experience I have noticed that the fakers have never managed to get the box right unless it is an altered original.

The best advice I can give to anyone who wants to buy an original WW2 set is to buy a group with a named medal or if you cannot afford a group with a named medal its worth the time to take a trip to a Spinks Auction that way you can be certain what you are buying is a genuine airborne grouping. EBay is asking for trouble unless original paper work is included or you know the vendor. Its not worth the potential headache.

In my medal collection I only have one genuine Commando group with out a named medal however this collection also includes his fathers medals. This group cost me 25 British and was obtained straight from a house clearance a number of years ago. The box lid is written in blue biro as is the award slip.....if you are interested in what an original D Day Commando box looks like PM me and i will be happy to send you a few scans....better not to post here I think.

Steve.

Comment

Gary,

Sorry, I am not able to comment or blame anyone if webbing is being faked. Medals are my bag, only.

Steve.

Comment

He's gotta be kidding!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...269188182&rd=1

Comment

Hmmmm even I could spot that one Jack

Have you got married recently?

Or have you always been posh with a double barrelled name
                              Regards
                              Si

Comment

But Jack it is the very rare prototype Red Beret made two years before all the others

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X