X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my badge

Hi
    Ade that is a very very nice badge. Enclosed is a pic of mine. Never have been sure if original but its the only one I have so it stays in the collection for now.
    Regards
    Andy
    Attached Files

Comment

I've been staring at these pictures for an hour now, the differences are really small! Very hard to tell with all the different camera settings and angles.

Andy, I thought yours was identical to Jim's (post 190), but now I'm not so sure. In fact, I'm beginning to believe that one of mine is genuine after all. God I'm confused.

Luc

Comment

Nice original Helmet but come on, mint? Looking at some of the exterior shots you would almost think a ground dug helmet!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Comment

I'm glad you agree this is not mint Des!
          The nuts are well oxidated, leather is a bit worn and most of the paint is gone. And what about that manganese strip, all the paint is gone. Did he polish that?

Question, would anyone buy it and restore it? Or do you think that is not done?

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Hi Des, I would agree far from "mint".

Hi Luc, although the helmet is worn I think that it is quite nice. It appears all original and untampered with from the photos. The lack of paint around the rim is very commom as the paint does not adhere well to the metal on these parts.
            Restore it? NO! There is no need, it is original. Buy it? Well, that all depends on the finish price. The bidding is going crazy already. But it is certainly worth keeping an eye on.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Des,

I agree it is a nice piece and there is no real need to restore it.

The issue of restoration of collecables in general is bugging me for some time now.
              I think we have all replaced a missing button, waxed leather parts, repaired a loose seam, removed rust or dirt to preserve and item or to make it a bit more presentable. But how far would you go?
              The thing is that I recently bought a really nice airborne helmet with the extra hole drilled at the back when it was converted to webbing chinstraps. I filled the hole, painted it and now it looks just perfect!
              Would you do such thing? Or do you think I should have bought a non-converted helmet?
              Cheers, Luc

Comment

Originally posted by lnijherald
                I think we have all replaced a missing button, waxed leather parts, repaired a loose seam, removed rust or dirt to preserve and item or to make it a bit more presentable. But how far would you go?
                The thing is that I recently bought a really nice airborne helmet with the extra hole drilled at the back when it was converted to webbing chinstraps. I filled the hole, painted it and now it looks just perfect!
                Would you do such thing? Or do you think I should have bought a non-converted helmet?
                Hi Luc, I agree that we have all done the former but I would have left the helmet alone. The extra hole was put there in the helmets past history and was part of it's "story".

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I simply avoid the whole restoration thing by just buying unmessed with items. Easier said than done I know! This helmet for example if it did not have such a bad exterior would be something I would seriously consider buying but in its current condition I dont think its worth it. I am not into MINT stuff but its just too far gone for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Des Thomas
                    I simply avoid the whole restoration thing by just buying unmessed with items.
                    Des, I suppose you don't fancy this one then:
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Just got an e-mail with additional pictures from the seller; he tells me it is defenately postwar. I wonder why he lists it as a WW2 item then?
                    The yellow rubber is not original; it is some modern kind of foam.
                    Luc
                    Last edited by lnijherald; 12-16-2004, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Ugh god stop! its ugly and your right why does he list it as a WW2 lid?

Des, I suppose you don't fancy this one then:
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Just got an e-mail with additional pictures from the seller; he tells me it is defenately postwar. I wonder why he lists it as a WW2 item then?
                      The yellow rubber is not original; it is some modern kind of foam.
                      Luc[/QUOTE]

Comment

Oh yes baby, very sexy

OMG!! I fell off my chair when I saw this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

It is a complete p1$$ take! They have just got some kind of military cap regardless of period and whacked a lovely fake LRDG badge on the front! And it is on £65!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Comment

[QUOTE=Jack Dutton-Roberts]Oh yes baby, very sexy

Seller lowered the price; from 130 to 70 now 50USD; I wish him good luck!
                          Again he has lowererd the price: 35USD now. C'mon guys, give the man a brake!

"Nice" find Jack,
                          The LRDG badge is how much, 3,50 or so? Good profit!

Luc
                          Last edited by lnijherald; 12-21-2004, 05:30 PM.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...501134375&rd=1

What about the wings on this one??

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hiya , happy new year !!
                              the wings I.M.O are copies , the pegasus signs are def: copies ,the whole B.D has been put together , Michael.

Comment

Hi Michael, same to you too!

The whole thing is certainly a put together. The Pegasus are very poor.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X