Dunkirk - Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by praubal View Post
    Dunkirk was a tragedy for Britain and France...and propogandised as a 'miracle'. another of Mr Churchills supreme follys along with Gallipoli and Dieppe to name just two.
    Regarding the battle of Dieppe, the Canadians were insistent that it took place, their soldiers had been sat in the UK since 1940 doing nothing..

Comment

Originally posted by praubal View Post
      Dunkirk was a tragedy for Britain and France...and propogandised as a 'miracle'. another of Mr Churchills supreme follys along with Gallipoli and Dieppe to name just two.
      Think it was your boy AH's folly, not Churchill's. But your right he did turn turn the defeat into a victory, a few months later thanks to the RAF.

lucky for you too....

Comment

[QUOTE=Panzer-G-man;7891851]Whereas English just means rioting at football tournaments and bashing up the locals.Apologies![/QUOTE

That's right - whereas Irish means blowing up innocent civilians.

Comment

[QUOTE=Seigfried;7892595]
          Originally posted by Panzer-G-man View Post
          Whereas English just means rioting at football tournaments and bashing up the locals.Apologies![/QUOTE

That's right - whereas Irish means blowing up innocent civilians.
          So you don't think the English would do that if England was occupied by a foreign invader ?

Comment

Ok,i apologize to the Brits on here,for my smartarse comment.You can talk about the IRA killing innocent civilians and you can also say the British paratroopers and loyalists killed Irsih civilians in broad daylight etc etc.I didnt mean my comment to drag politics into a thread,which is clearly about something else.This thread is about Dunkirk,and after a weeks reflection ,i think it was fairly rubbish,and i still think Fury was more enjoyable,at least we got to see some Jerries in it,and a Tiger,and the Spitfire gliding scenes,were almost as laughable as the SS battalion sacrificing themselves over a tank.

Comment

Defenceless

After Dunkirk the only field ready division available to GB was Canadian. We had no real heavy armour, artillery et al to defend our shores. As for the men returning they were in a truly awful state. Some, absconded as soon as they hit home my father knew of two from my home town; they had been through enough. The government did not know what to do with them many ended up camped in Sandown Race Park and similar venues. Understandably the powers to be were concerned about the low morale seeping into the communities of returning soldiers. It is hard to envisage how we could have pulled through if Hitler was determined to attack/invade and showed the same aggressive intent he so obviously meted out to the USSR in 1941.Bottom line he did not want to see us crushed at this juncture of the war.
              I am merely trying to be rational here without the previous emotive utterances which moved us away from the topic. Hitler did actually admire how this small nation controlled nearly a third of the globe and viewed us as fellow Nordics.

Comment

Wow, this thread certainly has skipped a few stitches and run off of the seam, unfortunately. So, getting back to the original intent, reviews of "Dunkirk". The movie was presented in a different type of format, so anyone seeking the old Hollywood style or a modern composition with tons of CGI, will be disappointed. Call it what you like, war movie or art film, it's still based on actual events. These are paramount in the minds of history buffs and militaria collectors, such as ourselves, but lost to the majority of today's youth. So, any reminder, be it 100% accurate or not, is better than none.
                Regards
                Bern

Comment

[QUOTE=Tim O'Keefe;7893165]
                  Originally posted by Seigfried View Post

So you don't think the English would do that if England was occupied by a foreign invader ?
                  It was meant to be ironic but was obviously lost on you. Of course I do not think that the Irish go round blowing people up, but neither are the English all mindless hooligans

Comment

I heard they are about to release a new blockbuster Stalingrad movie with artistic license. To put it in context and scale they are just using three actors and a bicycle in the snow with modern Volgograd as the backdrop. Two story lines are used to illustrate the closing of the pincers around the Kessel. That will bring the message of the futility of war and the vastness of the Russian landscape across to younger audiences, while protecting them from the horrors of war on an intellectual level. Cannot wait to see it. J

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle Harrington View Post
                      After Dunkirk the only field ready division available to GB was Canadian. We had no real heavy armour, artillery et al to defend our shores. As for the men returning they were in a truly awful state. Some, absconded as soon as they hit home my father knew of two from my home town; they had been through enough. The government did not know what to do with them many ended up camped in Sandown Race Park and similar venues. Understandably the powers to be were concerned about the low morale seeping into the communities of returning soldiers. It is hard to envisage how we could have pulled through if Hitler was determined to attack/invade and showed the same aggressive intent he so obviously meted out to the USSR in 1941.Bottom line he did not want to see us crushed at this juncture of the war.
                      I am merely trying to be rational here without the previous emotive utterances which moved us away from the topic. Hitler did actually admire how this small nation controlled nearly a third of the globe and viewed us as fellow Nordics.
                      To understand why they never tried coming over the Channel you need to look at the Norwegian campaign. They might have won but the already small KM got an absolute hammering and Raeder knew full well they had no chance of sustaining an invasion.
                      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Kriegsmarine

That is a good point Simon however I cannot help wonder that even in the summer of 1940 Hitler's mind was very much elsewhere, namely the Soviet Union. I find it difficult to see how we would have survived if the full might of the German Armed Forces were flung at us KM concerns or not .

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                          I heard they are about to release a new blockbuster Stalingrad movie with artistic license. To put it in context and scale they are just using three actors and a bicycle in the snow with modern Volgograd as the backdrop. Two story lines are used to illustrate the closing of the pincers around the Kessel. That will bring the message of the futility of war and the vastness of the Russian landscape across to younger audiences, while protecting them from the horrors of war on an intellectual level. Cannot wait to see it. J

Three actors and one bicycle.....hmmmm think I could wait on that film personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
                            To understand why they never tried coming over the Channel you need to look at the Norwegian campaign. They might have won but the already small KM got an absolute hammering and Raeder knew full well they had no chance of sustaining an invasion.
                            Britain's navy was England's ace in the hole.....No doubt any amphibious attack by Germany would have been weak and unsupported......However, don't underestimate what the U-boat fleet might have brought to the table......This was pre-Crete as well, so Hitler at the time was unaware of the capabilities of the Fallschirmjager......Albeit their losses in Sealion likely would have been quite high as well.....

After the fall of France, it was noted Hitler had ideas of invading Russia as early as the fall of 1940.....But in a rare instance, he heeded his generals' advise that they needed sufficient time to prepare.......Bodes

Comment

Just watched Dunkirk again ....loved it the first time...even more so second time

A bloody good war movie... but I also liked Fury, watched it dozens of times and sorry to say I really enjoyed Pearl Harbor so maybe that says a lot about my taste in films

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                                This obviously hinges on what style of bicycle they use.
                                A tandem would be great.
                                A one man 3 wheeler would look awesome on camera.
                                But if the 3 guys were on unicycles I feel would be a show stopper.
                                The Bikes could get sponsored and they could even hold a leg of the Tour De France during filming to increase the tension........
                                But that could be just off camera as background noise.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 87 users online. 0 members and 87 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X