No announcement yet.

Dunkirk - Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunkirk was one of the best movies released in a long time. That "Atonement" clip referenced above is pure cheese. Lame....

Comment

"Dunkirk was one of the best movies released in a long time. That "Atonement" clip referenced above is pure cheese. Lame...."

Can you explain why?

JL

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
        "Dunkirk was one of the best movies released in a long time. That "Atonement" clip referenced above is pure cheese. Lame...."

Can you explain why?

JL
        I would also like to know. Attonement scene a 1000 times more realistic than the new movie. J

Comment

The atone clip reminds me of Kanal opening scene

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
            I would also like to know. Attonement scene a 1000 times more realistic than the new movie. J
            That Attonement scene is terrible!!! It's like a Disney production 😂😂😂

Comment

Haha correct. Atonement scene might be realistic but boring as hell. 3 guys walking around and around, no action. A good war film IMO has to be entertaining which combines realism, a story, action and fiction. Atonemnet was a weird love story with some Dunkirk beach scenes, just didn't like it and liked the beach scenes less.
              Last edited by Kelly w; 08-09-2017, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woolgar View Post
                That Attonement scene is terrible!!! It's like a Disney production ������
                Might be true, but it is still 1000 times better than the Dunkirk SCENE. Who ever shot/ directed that SCENE has obvious never seen a combat zone.J

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
                  If you have not seen it yet, and you want to go in to the theater with an open mind, do not read this.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, the movie industry once again missed an opportunity to make something great, and instead, left a lot to be desired. Unlike Fury, at least this one had good cinematography.

I did not feel that the dire urgency or desperation of the situation was conveyed, nor was the effort and patriotic spirit of the British people who came to their rescue shown on a grand enough scale, especially since this was a major part of the rescue miracle that happened there. The lack of available large rescue vessels was touched on slightly, but the big issue of the shallow waters was not.

The true condition of the soldiers who battled their way to that beach and were stranded there for days, was barely touched on. Where was the carnage, the wrecked vehicles and equipment, or the desperate shell-shocked soldiers? I have many period photos in my collection of the beach after the rescue, and it looked nothing like the one in the movie.

There were not enough men on the beach, and they stood in well organized lines as if they were waiting to get on a ride at an amusement park. I know extras are not cheap, but if I remember correctly, Spielberg figured out a way to fill Omaha beach in Saving Private Ryan.

Maybe my old brain is easily confused, but it took me a while to realize they were showing the same event in the film multiple times from different points of view. Perhaps that explains why one moment it is daylight, then another darkness, then back to daylight, then its dusk. I think this was just bad editing.

Based on the previews I already had my concerns about the beach scenes in this movie, but perhaps I still went in with my hopes set too high. The film-work was good, the music was intense, and the acting was ok, I just though they would be doing a lot more with the story and the visual experience.

I came away disappointed for sure, but I still recommend every WWII enthusiast see it.
                  Agreed! And very little credit given to the French Army who held back the Germans and all of the English civilians who risked all to save the English Army.

Comment

Originally posted by crowback View Post
                    Agreed! And very little credit given to the French Army who held back the Germans and all of the English civilians who risked all to save the English Army.
                    It's British Army, British civilians and the country is Great Britain. Please stop calling everything British 'English'.
                    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
                      It's British Army, British civilians and the country is Great Britain. Please stop calling everything British 'English'.
                      Oh,so the Irish,Welsh and Scottish never did anything,eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Panzer-G-man View Post
                        Oh,so the Irish,Welsh and Scottish never did anything,eh?
                        There were Irish at Dunkirk, and Indians too (Paddy Ashdown's father was threatened with court martial after refusing to abandon them and managed to get them on the last ship out) but for ease wouldn't they all come under the title 'British Army' ?

Comment

Paddy Ashdown's for our overseas friends was the former leader of the Liberal Democrats party, and before that was an officer in the SBS. Now a Lord.
                          A " liberal " you wouldn't mess with.

Comment

Saw it this week, I enjoyed it. Many reviews I saw talk of the "Dunkirk spirit" as if the event was some kind of positive thing. When I was at school 30 years ago I was taught that Dunkirk was a disaster. This film seems to reflect upon that idea.

I think the scenes of the soldiers standing in rows on an empty beach was intended to heighten the feeling of being exposed, both to the elements and to an enemy attack. Shot from above to show the whole beach with nowhere to hide, the figures look tiny and lost. The scene were the soldiers are packed shoulder to shoulder one one tiny pier as the German planes appear was certainly a tense one, knowing there was nowhere they could find shelter.

Comment

Dunkirk was a tragedy for Britain and France...and propogandised as a 'miracle'. another of Mr Churchills supreme follys along with Gallipoli and Dieppe to name just two.

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                                Might be true, but it is still 1000 times better than the Dunkirk SCENE. Who ever shot/ directed that SCENE has obvious never seen a combat zone.J
                                Member KLKMsunnybunny is correct in his post:

"I think the scenes of the soldiers standing in rows on an empty beach was intended to heighten the feeling of being exposed, both to the elements and to an enemy attack."

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 43 users online. 0 members and 43 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X