No announcement yet.

Dunkirk - Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend on ours is a senior department head for Warne Brothers Studios. Her husband called me last week to offer me one of the typical items she gets from movies they produce, this time is was a poster from Dunkirk.

It was a nice gesture on their part, but I am out of wall space for anything that is not pre-1945, so I respectively declined the offer with that as the reason. I was polite and did not share any of my views about the movie.

Comment

I saw it yesterday and my opinion is... meh.
      It's not a bad film by any stretch but it's...soulless; I mean, it builds up tension for something that never happens and it does not manage to convey the drama of the situation.
      Too few men on the beaches, too few Germans and a chaotic editing.

Comment

I must concur, not what I thought it would be. The time distortion was repetitive and did not flow well. A bit of a myopic look at a very big event.

Comment

Had to see it as I see all war movies but a very disappointing film. Seemed like a small budget movie. Did not get the mass/scale of the event on film. Found the air combat inaccurate. Lone operating Lw fighters without wingman, one single bomber on the prowl. Every time a smoke pot when a plane was supposedly hit. Stuka bombs did very little damage in beach area. Time flow very annoying. Not a good film.

Comment

I cant wait until this awesome film comes out on DVD ! I need to watch it again despite seeing it twice at the cinema

Comment

Originally posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
              had to see it as i see all war movies but a very disappointing film. Seemed like a small budget movie. Did not get the mass/scale of the event on film. Found the air combat inaccurate. Lone operating lw fighters without wingman, one single bomber on the prowl. Every time a smoke pot when a plane was supposedly hit. Stuka bombs did very little damage in beach area. Time flow very annoying. Not a good film.
              + 1

Comment

Originally posted by Woolgar View Post
                I cant wait until this awesome film comes out on DVD ! I need to watch it again despite seeing it twice at the cinema

Comment

Originally posted by Woolgar View Post
                  Why, complicated story line? J

Comment

Just came on pay per view so there will be a new crop of opinions now including mine, also DVD is out.

It can only be classed as ok or slightly better then average IMO.

The ok parts, sound and cinematic view crisp and bright. The rest I couldn't get into. The CGI was just ok, the Spitfire scenes were disappointing, unrealistic, not enough planes, took the guy forever to reach the beaches. I mean it was Dunkirk after all. Not shoot down a couple 109's and bombers over the ocean and get to the beaches to save the men and then oops I'm out of fuel. The landing scene was so fake and long. Not enough small boats shown to give such a celebration. Not enough troops on the beach. Not enough action between the Germans and Allied troops rear guard. Story was just ok. Acting just ok.

Were they playing with my head in one scene? Did the guy out of fuel and no power at the same moment shoot down a 109 before crash landing?

So maybe great for younger generation which mostly buys tickets, that counts for the good reviews. But for us diehard WW2ers it's just ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly w View Post
                      Just came on pay per view so there will be a new crop of opinions now including mine, also DVD is out.

It can only be classed as ok or slightly better then average IMO.

The ok parts, sound and cinematic view crisp and bright. The rest I couldn't get into. The CGI was just ok, the Spitfire scenes were disappointing, unrealistic, not enough planes, took the guy forever to reach the beaches. I mean it was Dunkirk after all. Not shoot down a couple 109's and bombers over the ocean and get to the beaches to save the men and then oops I'm out of fuel. The landing scene was so fake and long. Not enough small boats shown to give such a celebration. Not enough troops on the beach. Not enough action between the Germans and Allied troops rear guard. Story was just ok. Acting just ok.

Were they playing with my head in one scene? Did the guy out of fuel and no power at the same moment shoot down a 109 before crash landing?

So maybe great for younger generation which mostly buys tickets, that counts for the good reviews. But for us diehard WW2ers it's just ok.
                      I think any French firearm collector would have been pissed in the first 120 seconds when they confront French forces with clearly post-ww2 models of the Mas-36 - small detail but it really got me and would have been incredibly easy to avoid.
                      ------------------------------------------------
                      Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

"Dude, where's my engine?"
                        Attached Files
                        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

The 2004 BBC 3-part mini-series about Dunkirk is quite good. Of course here and there some small mistakes with uniforms and equipment (f.e. Bundeswehr canteens) but in general it is a good series!

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Banziger View Post
                            The 2004 BBC 3-part mini-series about Dunkirk is quite good. Of course here and there some small mistakes with uniforms and equipment (f.e. Bundeswehr canteens) but in general it is a good series!
                            Yes, I agree, its very good !!

this attempt is poor, I would only watch it again if it were free

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                              Why, complicated story line? J
                              I think its indulgent pretentious ****e to be honest

Comment

Originally posted by scotty1418 View Post
                                I think any French firearm collector would have been pissed in the first 120 seconds when they confront French forces with clearly post-ww2 models of the Mas-36 - small detail but it really got me and would have been incredibly easy to avoid.
                                Well someone has my $6.00 but better then $30 for the DVD.

I think the movie industry should stop making war movies. They focus more on what the younger paying viewers wants rather then getting it right. Why do they have to have some dumb crap in the opening scene? You're right also they get shot at and first thing they do is run in the middle of the street to be picked off. That alone should put all WW2 buffs off this movie.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 26 users online. 0 members and 26 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X