Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6/10.
    Just saw it at an IMAX theater.

The movie was not in chronological order, which was supposed to be artistic, but it was more confusing.
    The score is being touted, but when you start to notice it during the movie (which should not happen), you find it irritating and it takes away from the film.

Except for the owner of the private yacht, I did not find any of the acting that compelling, and I just did not feel moved by any of the characters.

In terms of realism, yes, I would say it was good, but that last scene was just absurd--a Spitfire runs out of fuel at 1000 feet, but goes on a glide path for what seems like 5 minutes, and to top it off, on the way down he shoots down a Stuka, and then makes a perfect wheels-down landing on the Dunkirk beach--at that point it jumped the proverbial shark.

I have seen 3 WW2 movies in the last month, and they rank:

1. 13 Minutes
    2. The Exception
    3. Dunkirk
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

It is Mark Rylance that portrays the yacht owner.
      I'm glad I've heard about the way it is edited, will help me understand it when I watch it, as it doesn't take much to confuse me where films are concerned!
      The land battle is during a week, the "boat trip" during a day, and the air battle during an hour apparently.

Comment

Yes, one can nitpick but overall this is a truly great film. Certainly the film failed to convey the scale and i agree with JL that the beaches scenes were far too clean and empty. In these days of CGI and with so many other details got right it can only have been a deliberate decision to go with the 'less is more' angle.

There have been i understand complaints about the lack of portraying the French part in the evacuation. IMO most of the key elements were there and for those who know the history i think it was done right without getting bogged down with aspects that weren't part of this particular storyline. Ie. The French reaguard and the clear unhappiness of the soldiers having to cover for the evacuation of the British. The prioritising of British forces initially and then the focus on evacuating French forces later on. I can understand how those unfamiliar with the history could miss the significance of those scenes.

On the technical accuracy side, which i know for the likes of us is often a deal breaker, i think they did very well indeed. Many details would have been completely lost on the majority but they made the effort to get it right anyway..apart from the ships, but let's face it, where were they going to get a destroyer equipped as at 1940. Two thing made me smile, one was a Bristol Blenheim flying over the civilian yacht, you only see it in silhouette for a few seconds. The second was the scene where the yacht's owner knew there were Spitfires behind them without seeing them due to the engine sound. We can all relate to that! Nothing sounds like a RR merlin!

As for the music, I think the choice of Elgar's Nimrod at key points was truly inspired. I'm sure some of the left wing types would call it over jingoistic but you know what, F** 'em. Britain is rightly proud of the Dunkirk 'miracle' and it was high time we had a big budget film for ourselves. A reminder of why we owe so much to that generation.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
          Yes, one can nitpick but overall this is a truly great film. Certainly the film failed to convey the scale and i agree with JL that the beaches scenes were far too clean and empty. In these days of CGI and with so many other details got right it can only have been a deliberate decision to go with the 'less is more' angle.
          I completely agree! Very good film, but Christoper Nolan could have learned from the single panning shot of Dunkirk seen in the film Atonement. In particular, the aerial combat scenes were great. I saw it on a standard cinema screen, but will check it out on IMAX next.

Michael
          Last edited by Simon O.; 07-24-2017, 05:06 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Here's a reasonable 'fact vs fiction' review of the film. I can't say i agree with all points but overall it get's the points across and explains why some deviations from strictly true facts.

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/dunkirk/

Photo of a Spitfire, apparently taken at or near Dunkirk which had clearly made a wheels down landing on the beach

and more info, so wheels down landings on the beach by Spitfires did occur
            http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads....25035/page-27

Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Saw this online and wondered if Lightoller and his son were the basis for the father/son team in the film?

"On 27 May, the small-craft section of the British Ministry of Shipping telephoned boat builders around the coast, asking them to collect all boats with "shallow draft" that could navigate the shallow waters. Attention was directed to the pleasure boats, private yachts and launches moored on the River Thames and along the south and east coasts. Some of them were taken with the owners' permission – and with the owners insisting they would sail them – while others were requisitioned by the government with no time for the owners to be contacted. The boats were checked to make sure they were seaworthy, fuelled, and taken to Ramsgate to set sail for Dunkirk. They were manned by Naval Officers, Ratings and experienced volunteers. Very few owners manned their own vessels, apart from fishermen and one or two others.(1)

(1) Sundowner – owned by Charles Lightoller, former second officer of the Titanic, was requisitioned by the Admiralty on 30 May. Lightoller insisted that, if anyone was going to take her to Dunkirk, it would be him and his eldest son, Roger, together with Sea Scout Gerald Ashcroft. The men transported 130 soldiers back to Ramsgate, reportedly packed together like sardines, almost capsizing when they reached the shore.[7] She is a museum ship at the Ramsgate Maritime Museum.
              "

Comment

I spotted the Bristol Blenheim immediately, I saw it flying at Duxford in 2015 during the Battle of Britain 75th memorial event, I also witnessed the most awe inspiring and emotional sight of 18 ( if i remember correctly ) Spitfire's flying in formation and performing the most spectacular display I have ever witnessed, the sight and sound of them was sublime, something I will never forget.

The Blenheim is a Mk IV converted to look like a Mk I

At the beginning of the evacuations from Dunkirk, the French commanders decreed that no French troops were to be evacuated full stop, they feared it would be bad for morale and a show of weakness and defeatism, obviously later on thier opinions changed

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post

There have been i understand complaints about the lack of portraying the French part in the evacuation. IMO most of the key elements were there and for those who know the history i think it was done right without getting bogged down with aspects that weren't part of this particular storyline. Ie. The French reaguard and the clear unhappiness of the soldiers having to cover for the evacuation of the British. The prioritising of British forces initially and then the focus on evacuating French forces later on. I can understand how those unfamiliar with the history could miss the significance of those scenes.

On the technical accuracy side, which i know for the likes of us is often a deal breaker, i think they did very well indeed. Many details would have been completely lost on the majority but they made the effort to get it right anyway..apart from the ships, but let's face it, where were they going to get a destroyer equipped as at 1940. Two thing made me smile, one was a Bristol Blenheim flying over the civilian yacht, you only see it in silhouette for a few seconds. The second was the scene where the yacht's owner knew there were Spitfires behind them without seeing them due to the engine sound. We can all relate to that! Nothing sounds like a RR merlin!

As for the music, I think the choice of Elgar's Nimrod at key points was truly inspired. I'm sure some of the left wing types would call it over jingoistic but you know what, F** 'em. Britain is rightly proud of the Dunkirk 'miracle' and it was high time we had a big budget film for ourselves. A reminder of why we owe so much to that generation.

Comment

I forgot to mention one thing, I didnt understand what the whole point of having that young civilian die on the boat was. Perhaps a true story? But it didnt really seem representative of the whole Dunkirk affair, and I didnt get what point the film was trying to make with that.

I remember speaking to an old French soldier who was still very bitter about the British not letting him aboard at Dunkirk. He ended up being a POW in Estonia and was wounded by gunfire on a boat while trying to escape from the Germans there if I remember well. He tried to pull a Dunkirk 2 that didnt work.
                  He gave me his old Maginot Line badge, I still have it. Too bad I was still a kid when he told me his story, as now I would have done a recorded interview with him. He invited me to eat at a restaurant with him sometime, but I never saw him again.

JL
                  Attached Files

Comment

Was it dumbed down somewhat for the " Yoof " market perhaps

Comment

I had a pretty good idea how this film was going to turn out (I've seen them all) and based on all the reviews, I'm going to wait till it comes out on DVD. Shouldn't be too long.

All the best ..

Comment

I'm really enjoy of this movie. Special sounds effect - sirens of Stuka dive bombers - I was get goose bumps. Its really worth to watching this movie.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
                          I forgot to mention one thing, I didnt understand what the whole point of having that young civilian die on the boat was. Perhaps a true story? But it didnt really seem representative of the whole Dunkirk affair, and I didnt get what point the film was trying to make with that.

I remember speaking to an old French soldier who was still very bitter about the British not letting him aboard at Dunkirk. He ended up being a POW in Estonia and was wounded by gunfire on a boat while trying to escape from the Germans there if I remember well. He tried to pull a Dunkirk 2 that didnt work.
                          He gave me his old Maginot Line badge, I still have it. Too bad I was still a kid when he told me his story, as now I would have done a recorded interview with him. He invited me to eat at a restaurant with him sometime, but I never saw him again.

JL

A very nice memento of your friendship with that French soldier, congratulations.

I too was not sure what the point of having the young civilian die on the boat after the scuffle was all about. Could that part have been based on an actual event that came to light after the Dunkirk rescue was over perhaps.

Comment

I am surprised they advertised this fact with the movie--Tom Hardy had to have had his thumb on the button for at least 2 minutes total:
                            Attached Files
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                              I am surprised they advertised this fact with the movie--Tom Hardy had to have had his thumb on the button for at least 2 minutes total:
                              What a geeky observation

Comment

For Christs's sake !!!!

It is a film , a visual representation of a desperate period. Who cares if Tom Hardy pressed the shoot button for two minutes ? I am sure if my uncle was alive he would recount stuff which would not be believed by some on this forum

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X