No announcement yet.

Dunkirk - Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if mentioned yet, but didn't AH choose not to destroy the beach forces as he hoped to have a better diplomatic relationship for UK surrender later.. Also he held the UK and people to a higher standard then any other country he wanted. Brit Royals also have a mix of GErman blood etc.

Comment

No, that's the cliche, but that wasn't the reason they didn't press on, it was just a failure to seize the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by harrison987 View Post
        Ju87 - I am going to be bias about the Ju87 Siren...as I helped the sound department with that. Siren and CGI was GREAT!

He111 - the CGI was AMAZING. Most CGI aircraft "look" CGI ("Red Tails", for example)...this was DAMN good. I know no He111's are currently airworthy, so going in, I knew it was fake...but DAMN, I could not tell. AMAZING

the PROBLEM was with the guns. the dorsal gun should have been an MG81 or MG15...HOWEVER...the rate of fire and sound was that of an MG151 or MK108. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy to loud. Only mistake I saw.

Me109 - they should have CGI'd this. it was obvious that it was a Buchon...

Spitfires - all fuselage codes were the same - which leads me to believe they only used one in the film, and then duplicated it for the formation flying - the codes all should have been different.
        http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/dunkirk.html

The Spitfires were all real. The other planes were large scale replicas - see the HE111 in the link above. I don't believe Nolan likes to use CGI much which probably explains why they didn't pack the beach out.

For the cockpit\combat scenes they used a YAK trainer - https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/07/28/how-christopher-nolan-shot-those-amazing-aerial-dunkirk-dogfights/513407001/

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly w View Post
          Not sure if mentioned yet, but didn't AH choose not to destroy the beach forces as he hoped to have a better diplomatic relationship for UK surrender later.. Also he held the UK and people to a higher standard then any other country he wanted. Brit Royals also have a mix of GErman blood etc.

It would appear that Hitler himself did not think the Brita were going to escape..he thought they were going to entrench and form a line of defence...he had to deal with the rest of France so I believe put the Brits on back burner.

It came as a surprise to him and Headquarters when it was realised that indeed the Brits were off....
          Churchill informed Lord Gort to 'advance towards the beaches...but under no circumstances inform either the French or Belgians...'
          This was a dreadful betrayal of his Allies in my opinion and was seen as such by very many then and now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly w View Post
            I mentioned something to that effect in post #117.......I agree AH was interested in softening England up for negotiations......With the impending fall of France, Hitler figured an isolated England would sue for peace....He had this falacious notion that Germany and England could maintain their empires and coexist at the same time.....What he underestimated was Churchill's determination to stand up to him....Bodes
            Last edited by bodes; 08-03-2017, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Has any other Brits noticed that all of a sudden all the "dunkirk" miliaria has suddenly started springing up

I've just seen about 3 different medal groupings on ebay with dunkirk in the title linked to soldiers that may or may not have been involved in the BEF.

Comment

Dunkirk

I decided to go see DUNKIRK today at the matinee

The movie pretty much starts out right in Dunkirk, shows a small group of British soldiers trying to get to the beach so they can escape with everybody else

The French are shoved aside, and not given much credit for anything

the scenes were well done but they seemed to lack the quality of other popular WW2 movies, they seemed less intense, and done on a lower budget, the beach scenes looked too deserted , not enough men , they should have used more people on the beach

and the last scene with the Spitfire gliding through the air didnt make much sense because it lasted way too long, I dont think a plane like that would glide so easily without power, it would go down much faster and harder than portrayed in the movie, plus he was gliding at a low altitude so he couldnt have glided very far.

Comment

Ahem,eh,i enjoyed Fury way more....

Comment

Originally posted by kammo man View Post
                    Seen this today on 70mm.

So bad.

What was up with the boy dying on his fathers boat by a nut job saved from a bobing ship.

Just -----------------------------------

Gliding Spitfires taking out diving Stukas.

About 400 Squaddies on the beaches.

Lets hide in a fishing boat and plug the holes the nasty bad guys made happen like magic.

Its dumb.
                    Its dumb because its made for kids
                    I actually hate the film with a passion, this could have been an epic, instead its nonsense from start to finish

Comment

Just saw tonight, SAVE your money!

Comment

Originally posted by bodes View Post
                        I mentioned something to that effect in post #117.......I agree AH was interested in softening England up for negotiations......With the impending fall of France, Hitler figured an isolated England would sue for peace....He had this falacious notion that Germany and England could maintain their empires and coexist at the same time.....What he underestimated was Churchill's determination to stand up to him....Bodes
                        That's right - and seeing the movie you'd never know it. There is a reluctance to admit that the Germans have any strategic knowledge or thoughts at all. They are painted as demonic, crazy, blundering idiots. No historical import is gained from the movie at all. Just special effects and noise.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianK View Post
                          That's right - and seeing the movie you'd never know it. There is a reluctance to admit that the Germans have any strategic knowledge or thoughts at all. They are painted as demonic, crazy, blundering idiots. No historical import is gained from the movie at all. Just special effects and noise.
                          I agree, he should stick to sci-fi movies and Batman

Comment

Finally saw the movie in IMAX and it was visually nice. Some of the biggest flaws have already been mentioned: Lack of scale

1.The beaches looked like Coney Island on a slow day where many more families wouldn't have trouble finding a spot to put down a blanket and umbrella. Holiday beaches are more crowded in summer than this was. It seemed that there were only a few hundred men waiting in line. I guess the 300,000+ must have been hiding somewhere. Also there was not enough equipment on the beaches. Looking a photos of what was left behind, it should look like a giant car graveyard.

2. The flotilla of private ships shown in this movie could not have picked up 3000 men, let alone 300,000.

Neatness counts but not in a war movie. The town section the Brits were running through at the outset to get to the beach looks way to clean for a war torn area and looks cleaner than most towns do now.

All in all an entertaining movie but far from an epic displaying the conditions, desperation and scale of the actual undertaking. Even my friend who is not a military buff noticed the above and also was in a bit of disbelief on the gliding Spitfire taking out a Stuka on the way down.
                            Richard V

Comment

DUNKIRK WORST WAR MOVIE (so far)

Originally posted by Hans Zeug View Post
                              Spot on! Great cinematography but so disjointed all over the place, nearly fell asleep twice. Had to go as one of my uncles was at Dunkirk. Probable a great film for todays generation.
                              Cinematographicly refreshing, probably yes, but otherwise the worst war movie I ever saw (so far), poor script, poor detail, freshly shaven and sharp dressed clean soldiers on the beaches, complete lack of the vastness of the real evacuation, example of a naval error : French postwar 100 mm canons on the ships, ...

The 5 minutes Dunkirk scene in the movie "Atonement", that is the real thing IMO
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU

Comment

Originally posted by glaser View Post
                                Cinematographicly refreshing, probably yes, but otherwise the worst war movie I ever saw (so far), poor script, poor detail, freshly shaven and sharp dressed clean soldiers on the beaches, complete lack of the vastness of the real evacuation, example of a naval error : French postwar 100 mm canons on the ships, ...

The 5 minutes Dunkirk scene in the movie "Atonement", that is the real thing IMO
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU

Man! and I thought I was the only one that totally disliked it

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 69 users online. 0 members and 69 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X