No announcement yet.

Dunkirk - Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that he made this movie to appeal to almost all ages of movie goers.
    Not a Walt Disney family movie but ok for pre teens and up. I think that he already got his money back. The budget was $50 million, I believe. My 46 year old niece has seen it twice and will go back again I'm sure just to see Harry Styles of One Direction-a British boy band. The girl has spent a couple of grand to go his concerts. Speaking of cut out people, her husband bought her a life size cut out of the guy for her birthday but he says that it stays out of the bedroom. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Bcarver View Post
      I watched it last night, and left feeling like it could have been much better. I felt the Germans should have been included since it was their battle also. It was like watching Gettysburg with only Union soldiers. My UK brothers no doubt view this as a great deed by their fathers (and mine too) however because it focused on only a few it drew out the film, almost making it boring. I asked a German veteran who was their, why the Allies were able to get away. He stated "Because we let them, my division had orders to cease all operations against the pocket to allow the English to tend to their wounded and leave the continent. We hoped, after their withdrawal, that peace would follow."
      You have brought up a key historic point which was left out - the reluctance of Hitler & the high command to slaughter the Allies, making Dunkirk a major turning point of the war. If you sit through the movie your hearing might be damaged, but you won't learn some main points of history.

Comment

Oh, and the single Hispano engine Bf109! Couldn't CGI created a variety of planes with the correct nose!

Again, spectacularly filmed and well acted. I'm not looking for fleshed out characters in this type of film. You really only need to flesh them out to their purpose in the film and script and that was done.

Comment

There was no reluctance to slaughter...they would have relished doing so. It was incompetence and political in fighting that caused the Germans to stop for those crucial hours.

Comment

Seems like some think every movie has to represent every ethnic/racial group and both sexes, historical accuracy aside. Next to your theater - American Civil War movies with Asians.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/31/to...en-on-dunkirk/

Comment

Hi
              Very cool film and emotive.
              Perhaps the Belgium helmets mkll are not good. Adrian Helmets are the good helmets for Belgium

Comment

Originally posted by eubank View Post
                There was no reluctance to slaughter...they would have relished doing so. It was incompetence and political in fighting that caused the Germans to stop for those crucial hours.
                Hitler was less intrusive in the early years of the war....The idea of in fighting perhaps somewhat overplayed at this phase of the war.....It was only after Germany's failure to knock Russia out of the war in 1941 did Hitler feel the need to take over the charge of things.......Bodes

Comment

Originally posted by bodes View Post
                  Hitler was less intrusive in the early years of the war....The idea of in fighting perhaps somewhat overplayed at this phase of the war.....It was only after Germany's failure to knock Russia out of the war in 1941 did Hitler feel the need to take over the charge of things.......Bodes
                  To further add, it was Hitler who adopted von Manstein's proposal to attack through the Ardennes forrest.....This would further bolster there being a lack of in fighting at this time....Albeit Hitler would later take credit for "Operation Sickle Stroke" by saying Manstein was the only one who understood his strategy....Bodes

Comment

Seen this today on 70mm.

So bad.

What was up with the boy dying on his fathers boat by a nut job saved from a bobing ship.

Just -----------------------------------

Gliding Spitfires taking out diving Stukas.

About 400 Squaddies on the beaches.

Lets hide in a fishing boat and plug the holes the nasty bad guys made happen like magic.

Its dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by bodes View Post
                      True to a point, but it was Hitler intervening to confirm Runstedts "close up " order (so asserting his own control of the army) that aided the opportunity being lost, to the frustration of more "progressive" generals.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                        Seems like some think every movie has to represent every ethnic/racial group and both sexes, historical accuracy aside. Next to your theater - American Civil War movies with Asians.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/31/to...en-on-dunkirk/
                        Well it's already hit the extreme in the gaming world. In COD WWII coming out, you can play as a black female german soldier.

.....in BF1 I'm already running around hald the time as a black German soldier and with that one you can't even decide how your "Skin" should look.

Comment

Dunkirk

they didnt advertise this movie very much here in the USA, I just heard about it today by looking at the local movie theaters to see whats playing, I never even heard of this movie until today.

Comment

Ju87 - I am going to be bias about the Ju87 Siren...as I helped the sound department with that. Siren and CGI was GREAT!

He111 - the CGI was AMAZING. Most CGI aircraft "look" CGI ("Red Tails", for example)...this was DAMN good. I know no He111's are currently airworthy, so going in, I knew it was fake...but DAMN, I could not tell. AMAZING

the PROBLEM was with the guns. the dorsal gun should have been an MG81 or MG15...HOWEVER...the rate of fire and sound was that of an MG151 or MK108. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy to loud. Only mistake I saw.

Me109 - they should have CGI'd this. it was obvious that it was a Buchon...

Spitfires - all fuselage codes were the same - which leads me to believe they only used one in the film, and then duplicated it for the formation flying - the codes all should have been different.

Best scenes are with Spitfire pilots and radio chatter.

Worst scene is when Tom Hardy landed wheels up on the beach, only to get captured. Before that, he flew around in his Spit, with no fuel and prop drag as the engine cut out...for what seemed to be about 10 minutes at around 1000 feet, making numerous turns (including shooting down an aircraft)...which was odd.

He had MORE than enough time to ditch in the water, and get picked up by the British ships...instead...he opts to do a wheels down landing on the beach...not a very good idea as he was landing on sand. After he completed a perfect landing, he exists, and burns the aircraft. this is where the BIGGEST problem happened.

As the Spitfire burns, you can TELL it is a model, as there is NO engine in it! the prop and spinner are attached to the fuselage with a pipe that extends from the spinner to the firewall...talk about a major screw up! after all the amazing CGI and model work, how could this one detail be over-looked?

The film only shows around 10 civilian ships collecting the soldiers...when in reality HUNDREDS of ships came to their rescue. They even state in the film they collected 350000 men...but no one saw all these men...nor the ships that collected them. It was basically 10 ships and 300 men or so that I saw.

If you have NO CLUE what happened at Dunkirk, then you will be lost from the very beginning. Nothing is really told in detail going in...you are basically thrown into the action, and are expected to know what has happened up to this point of time.

There were a lot of young people in the audience...and I guarantee they really had no clue

Comment

Originally posted by harrison987 View Post
                              Ju87 - I am going to be bias about the Ju87 Siren...as I helped the sound department with that. Siren and CGI was GREAT!

He111 - the CGI was AMAZING. Most CGI aircraft "look" CGI ("Red Tails", for example)...this was DAMN good. I know no He111's are currently airworthy, so going in, I knew it was fake...but DAMN, I could not tell. AMAZING

the PROBLEM was with the guns. the dorsal gun should have been an MG81 or MG15...HOWEVER...the rate of fire and sound was that of an MG151 or MK108. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy to loud. Only mistake I saw.

Me109 - they should have CGI'd this. it was obvious that it was a Buchon...

Spitfires - all fuselage codes were the same - which leads me to believe they only used one in the film, and then duplicated it for the formation flying - the codes all should have been different.

Best scenes are with Spitfire pilots and radio chatter.

Worst scene is when Tom Hardy landed wheels up on the beach, only to get captured. Before that, he flew around in his Spit, with no fuel and prop drag as the engine cut out...for what seemed to be about 10 minutes at around 1000 feet, making numerous turns (including shooting down an aircraft)...which was odd.

He had MORE than enough time to ditch in the water, and get picked up by the British ships...instead...he opts to do a wheels down landing on the beach...not a very good idea as he was landing on sand. After he completed a perfect landing, he exists, and burns the aircraft. this is where the BIGGEST problem happened.

As the Spitfire burns, you can TELL it is a model, as there is NO engine in it! the prop and spinner are attached to the fuselage with a pipe that extends from the spinner to the firewall...talk about a major screw up! after all the amazing CGI and model work, how could this one detail be over-looked?

The film only shows around 10 civilian ships collecting the soldiers...when in reality HUNDREDS of ships came to their rescue. They even state in the film they collected 350000 men...but no one saw all these men...nor the ships that collected them. It was basically 10 ships and 300 men or so that I saw.

If you have NO CLUE what happened at Dunkirk, then you will be lost from the very beginning. Nothing is really told in detail going in...you are basically thrown into the action, and are expected to know what has happened up to this point of time.

There were a lot of young people in the audience...and I guarantee they really had no clue
                              I agree the He 111 was awesome....superbly filmed and was a real menace !
                              Apparently it was a large scale remote controlled model
                              There were two spitfires used in the film

Nick

Comment

Most of my acquaintances who have seen Dunkirk and are not into militara or military history have been impressed. Some went as far as resenting the fact that, although I enjoyed it, I had some quibbles. The three storylines with different timeframes didn't seem to cause any problems. However Tom Hardy's gliding spitfire shooting down the Stuka did consistently prompt raised eyebrows!

Michael

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 34 users online. 0 members and 34 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X