Clear All

T.P Harrington-Able Seaman Dunkirk veteran

My uncle in 1939:
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Woolgar View Post
      What a load od twaddle this review is

Nick
      Come on Nick, come to your senses, you have been brainwashed by the media !

Comment

If you want to watch a proper film about Dunkirk then watch the 1958 version with John Mills, I adore it

No need for all this modern day nonsense " oh lets take a simple story and rework it and make it complex " that way people will think I am clever

Pretentious Nonsense

The 1958 film is more profound in 5 minutes than this effort is in its entirety

The ending scenes of the 58 version say it all
        Last edited by Totenhead; 07-27-2017, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Totenhead View Post
          If you want to watch a proper film about Dunkirk then watch the 1958 version with John Mills, I adore it

No need for all this modern day nonsense " oh lets take a simple story and rework it and make it complex " that way people will think I am clever

Pretentious Nonsense

The 1958 film is more profound in 5 minutes than this effort is in its entirety

The ending scenes of the 58 version say it all
          But the current film isn't meant to be about the battle, the build up to it or an all-encompassing account of the evacuation. It is meant to be about a set of main characters and their experiences.
          It is like when Anthropoid came out and people disliked it because it didn't feature Heydrich enough. That isn't what the film was about.

Comment

Originally posted by Totenhead View Post
            Come on Nick, come to your senses, you have been brainwashed by the media !
            Media??

I watched the film as it is meant to be, an entertaining war film, I don't give a monkeys about who it upsets, its historical accuracy etc etc

I was entertained as were most of the worlds audience... , job done

Nick

Comment

What a load of twaddle this review is Nick
              Indeed it is.

He has totally missed the point in that the film is not about every soldier that was evacuated, not about every ship and boat sent to rescue them, not about every single air action with the RAF and the Luftwaffe, and not the definitive 'last word' from a historical perspective.

It is about a set of characters involved on land, sea and air culminating in a particular event, woven together in time lines.

Things such as the amount of Heinkel He 111 aircraft in the scene, the amount of Bf 109 and Ju 87 'Stukas', the amount of boats ans ships have all been mentioned as a negative and yet the film centres around a small set of characters in a very small timeframe, fighting in their own particular 'bubble' and not the entire sphere of operations.

The film was not meant to cover everything that took place over the course of Operation Dynamo.

Regards Richard.
              Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Originally posted by stgeorge64 View Post
                Indeed it is.

He has totally missed the point in that the film is not about every soldier that was evacuated, not about every ship and boat sent to rescue them, not about every single air action with the RAF and the Luftwaffe, and not the definitive 'last word' from a historical perspective.

It is about a set of characters involved on land, sea and air culminating in a particular event, woven together in time lines.

Things such as the amount of Heinkel He 111 aircraft in the scene, the amount of Bf 109 and Ju 87 'Stukas', the amount of boats ans ships have all been mentioned as a negative and yet the film centres around a small set of characters in a very small timeframe, fighting in their own particular 'bubble' and not the entire sphere of operations.

The film was not meant to cover everything that took place over the course of Operation Dynamo.

Regards Richard.
                Just didn't do it very well in my opinion

Dunkirk isn't a trivial subject

Comment

Media??

I watched the film as it is meant to be, an entertaining war film, I don't give a monkeys about who it upsets, its historical accuracy etc etc

I was entertained as were most of the worlds audience... , job done

Nick
                  Nick
                  Something as important as Dunkirk, needs to be historically accurate and not merely a film to titillate and entertain, it doesn't have to be SPR either

I hope he does a film about Stalingrad next, that will be entertaining

Comment

The review "The Dumbing Down of Dunkirk" published in the July 20, 2017 edition of the Wall Street Journal sums it up rather well. Whether you like it or not depends on what you expect out of the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by ebj View Post
                      The review "The Dumbing Down of Dunkirk" published in the July 20, 2017 edition of the Wall Street Journal sums it up rather well. Whether you like it or not depends on what you expect out of the movie.
                      Yes, in my opinion it was dumbed down for younger audience, a completely pointless film

Nolan should stick to fictional comic book saga's for the computer game generation

Comment

Thank goodness Chris Nolan didn't risk depicting German soldiers in the film - he would have been pilloried!

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Lutfen View Post
                          Thank goodness Chris Nolan didn't risk depicting German soldiers in the film - he would have been pilloried!

Michael
                          The film did its best not to mention them at all ! Cant have the younger generation being told the Germans may have been nasty to the British can we !!!

Comment

I watched it last night, and left feeling like it could have been much better. I felt the Germans should have been included since it was their battle also. It was like watching Gettysburg with only Union soldiers. My UK brothers no doubt view this as a great deed by their fathers (and mine too) however because it focused on only a few it drew out the film, almost making it boring. I asked a German veteran who was their, why the Allies were able to get away. He stated "Because we let them, my division had orders to cease all operations against the pocket to allow the English to tend to their wounded and leave the continent. We hoped, after their withdrawal, that peace would follow."

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Shoaf View Post
                              Since I can nitpick with the best of them, the numerous times an Army officer was addressed as "colonel", when he wore the three pips of a captain was puzzling, and disappointing.
                              Bob Shoaf
                              Hi Bob

he actually had two pips and a Kings crown - colonel. I looked carefully.....

regards

macleod

Comment

I saw it tonight, and thought it was very good, a solid 7.5 out of 10.
                                I can't really see what the bellyaching is about. The casting was good, some fine performances , impressive use of sound ( and sound track too ). After the hype I actually expected to be disappointed, and wasn't.
                                I thought the aerial scenes were the best part of the film, the good old RAF, am reading Geoff Wellum's First Light at the moment ( I don't know what took me so long, excellent book).

I almost felt like cheering at the end, perfect for the post Brexit Blues!
                                They should let Nolan do a "Battle of Britain" sequel, it would be great to see the Luftwaffe get another seven shades knocked out of them.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 30 users online. 0 members and 30 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X