Valkyrie-Excellent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valkyrie

Saw it again last night with a few collector friends. My opinion of it hasn't changed, but I was gald to see the theatre was still packed. Had to wonader about the couple behind us who were both crying towards the end of the movie.

We missed you Dr. Strangelove!

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
      Had to wonader about the couple behind us who were both crying towards the end of the movie.
      Cruise isn't that bad an actor.

Comment

Saw Valkyrie today. I loved it ! I don't know exactly why but visually I liked it even better then Downfall, may be because I watched Downfall on my TV with subtitles that really wouldn't let me concentrate on what was going on the screen. Of course I watched it second time after that but then I did not understand what they were saying

What I really liked in Valkyrie is the uniform. No, of course I was not impressed with quality of insignias and details either, but the general look, correct shape, how it fits, period fashion - that what I liked - completely correct, period look!

Also liked how they show the blast. So realistic!

Another interesting thing for me was that sometimes I felt like I was not in a movie but actually there, Haha!

Comment

Rather amusing that most of the people that don't like it haven't seen it yet

Comment

I saw the movie yesterday and was impressed. I really enjoyed the movie would recommend it to those who have yet to see it. Tommy did a pretty good job in it.

-Shawn

Comment

The planes looked great as did the cars,, the telephone with a letter at each finger opening was just like the one I saw at the flea sale , he wanted $500 for it, hes right its a WW II German phone.. unless they copied that to

Comment

Finally got a chance to get away and see the movie. I enjoyed it and thought it was very good. No, it is not a documentary, it is a movie. As with all other WW2 movies I could pick apart inaccurate uniforms, weapons, equipment, and such. The most obvious was the JU52 with an incorrect paint scheme, at least to me.

Comment

Saw it today

I saw the Movie today. I liked it very much as did my Lady. She did not expect much , but was very happy to see it and told me she really liked the Movie. Very well done over all. Why would anyone listen to anything on Fox News? How many times have they fooled you? I never trust anything on that chancel, mostly just propaganda. Look out, just be afraid of everything. That is what I hear them say.

Dennis

Comment

No word yet on if Spike Lee is protesting that no blacks are represented in the plot ....

Comment

To my wife's dismay I can tolerate mediocre actors if the visuals good or I am interested in the story, (like Nick Cage movies) and this was one of those kind of movies. I enjoyed it despite Tom Cruise, but it kind of reminded me of The Eagle has landed with the mixed and match casting.

Not as bad as the reviewers are making out to be, I enjoyed it.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Sadly, no soldier troopenfahnen ???

Originally posted by Mark Schroeder View Post
                        ...Not as bad as the reviewers are making out to be, I enjoyed it.
                        Mark:
                        I too enjoyed it. My collecting buddy and I watched the Valkyrie "History"
                        program before we went to the show, which greatly helped sort out the story
                        before hand. My favorite prop in the film was the big swastika bottom
                        swimming pool, and my buddy noted the distinct lack of SS rune collar patches.
                        Likewise, sadly there were no cool HQ or soldier troopenfahnen, only large flags
                        and some auto fender pennants, you would think they would have had at least a
                        Fuhrer standard. So looks like I won't be adding much to my movie flag collection
                        from Valkyrie, like from other Hollywood movies in the past with lots of Nazis flags.
                        Last edited by oldflagswanted; 01-02-2009, 02:59 AM.
                        sigpic
                        .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Tom Cruise, Bill Nighy and rest of 'Valkyrie' cast raised heil with Hitler

December 17th 2008, 9:11 AM

Tom Cruise and the cast of "Valkyrie" lifted the serious mood on the set of the anti-Hitler film by abusing a bust of the Fuhrer.

"The more grim the tale, the more fun you have on the set, otherwise you go crazy," Bill Nighy, who plays Gen. Friedrich Olbricht, told us at the flick's NYC premiere Monday night. "If you are in a Nazi uniform, you're tempted to do stupid and disgusting things in it, to dishonor [Nazis] as much as you can."

An on-set bust of Hitler, used as a prop, was a perfect outlet. "I would spit in his eye, and everybody would give him the middle finger and a few choice words as they walked by," Nighy said.

Co-star Kenneth Branagh recounted an old English ditty the cast sang to lighten the mood. "I shan't repeat it, but it was based around the fact that Hitler only had one testicle," he chuckled.

Regardless, the abundance of Nazi paraphernalia was stifling for the talented cast. Usually cool Cruise said he was freaked out the first time he donned a Nazi uniform to portray the heroic Col. Claus von Stauffenberg, whose famous failed attempt to assassinate Hilter led to von Stauffenberg's execution. "It was a moment, seeing that original uniform on a table in front of you," Cruise said. "Walking on set and seeing swastikas led to moments where you think, 'Oh my God.' Older visitors [who lived through World War II] would come by and say, 'I remember this is what it was like.'"

Branagh was struck by "the paradox of driving to the set and past the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin, all while dressed in full Nazi regalia."

Although reports said many Germans were upset by Cruise's involvement in the film due to his connections to Scientology, the actor said it was smooth sailing. "I was actually treated very well" in Germany, Cruise said. "I was very proud at the end to receive the Bambi Award [a German TV and media prize] for making 'Valkyrie.'"

Director Bryan Singer laughed when we asked if he was hoping for a big Jewish audience, since the film debuts on Christmas Day. "I'm Jewish, and I'll be going to the movies on Christmas," he said. "I'll be seeing it with my family."

As for the dark subject matter, Singer said, "Remember, this is not a Holocaust movie. This is very much a thriller about killing Hitler."

http://tinyurl.com/94hbw7

Comment

Cruise

Okay, I never have liked Tom Cruise primarily because of the cheesy Teeny Bopper Movies in which he used to Star, Real Crap. Then I saw him in "Tropic Thunder" I changed my mind. He can Act. If you see Tropic Thunder he will make you laugh and the role he plays is not easy.

I enjoyed Valkyrie for what it is, entertainment.
                            Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 01-02-2009, 09:13 AM. Reason: ch

Comment

Why did they bring in a 7' high wall of dirt in the court yard to shoot him? I thought they were in a hurry to get him dead!

Comment

Originally posted by colt45s View Post
                                Why did they bring in a 7' high wall of dirt in the court yard to shoot him? I thought they were in a hurry to get him dead!
                                The heap of dirt was the result of construction that had been taking place in the courtyard.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X