Valkyrie-Excellent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valkyrie-Excellent!

Forget what the movie critics say-go see this film. Much better than "Downfall". Good effects, acting, uniforms, vehicles, action scenes. I rate it 4 1/2 stars out of 5.

How this movie portrait hitler , like an antichrist like most hollywood movies or a more realistic hitler??

Comment

The most realistic Hitler I've ever seen. Old, trembling, no speeches. He wasn't in too many shots.

Comment

Thanks FM ,

Comment

I just saw it here in Iowa, where I am spending the holidays (had to get away from the relatives, if only for a few hours.) The movie was packed, as in sold-out--I don't know if it was Tom Cruise, or that people just wanted to get out of the house, or that the average American really does have an interest in history.

For the non-historian, it is slow-moving (ask my relatives). I actually liked Cruise in the role, and I am no fan of his at all. He seemed to really respect the part, and took the role to heart. His wife was portrayed by Carice Van Houten, of "Black Book". Thomas Kretschmann played Major Remer, of the GD. The same actor who played the SS Doktor Schenk in Downfall was also cast.

The most amazing re-creation was a scene at the Berghoff--it felt like you were right there. There were some inaccuracies, such as a JU-52 with pre-war markings, but on the whole, the uniforms were good. (Even the head of the Berlin Polizei was correctly out-fitted with the SS-style oakleaves in green and gold.

They took some liberties with a few events, but not overly so. I would say Downfall was the better movie, but I would give this a 7.5/10. At the very least, you won't hate it like that horrible 1990 made-for-tv movie starring Brad Davis. I recommend it--you will feel for Stauffenberg, for his was a true "profile in courage."
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

just seen it , it was a good movie did anyone see the preview for the other war movie ? i forget the name of it
            james

Comment

I to say the movie today.The theatre here was packed with maybe 50 people.It was a little slow but not to bad of a movie.I would rate it a 7on a 10 scale.jay

Comment

[quote=Jay V.;3002947]......The theatre here was packed with maybe 50 people...../quote]

Wow, packed at 50??!! How big a theatre??

Comment

I did see the movie today and I thought it was well done.. Better than I
                  thought it would be I would give it a 4 out of 5 stars

Tom

Comment

Valkyrie

I agree with Stonemint's review 100%. I was pleasantly surprised as I did not expect it to be very good. I also do not care for Tom Cruise and was initially disappointed at his being in the role, but he did a good job. I agree that parts in the beginning were slow, but towards the end it did become suspensful, even though I knew the outcome.

I do think Downfall was better, using the native German language probably helped with that a bit, but the Cruise movie did make a nice transition into the english. Actually we probably should not compare the two as the movie making styles and the general mood of the two films were so very different.

I am curious to see how the general public reacts, but as a historian/collector, I highly recommend it.

Comment

Hi Darrell
                      The theatre holds alot more than that.Only about 5o should up for the first showing today.jay

Comment

I saw the movie today. As someone that has been interested in the plot (and the Widerstand in general) for the last decade, I was very excited to see how the film would turn out.

I will not critique the movie in depth as it is unfair to those that have yet had the opportunity to see it. What I will say, however, is that compared to the German production, "Stauffenberg," it is an inferior film. Not in all respects. Please, do not get me wrong; there is much about the film that I enjoyed. My problem with the film was the casting of Cruise as Stauffenberg. I know, I know, he owns the studio and it was his for the taking. And I'm quite aware that no other American studio would green light a project such as Valkyrie; at least not without a marquee name such as Cruise. This fact does not, however, diminish the ineptness with which Cruise portrayed Stauffenberg. I think folks that have read about the plot, and Stauffenberg in particular (i.e. Peter Hoffmann's works), will be equally dissatisfied with the portrayal. I went into it with an open mind. I honestly did. I was quite angry at all of the speculation regarding Cruise's performance. But now that I have seen the film, the critics, at least in my opinion, were correct as far as Cruise's ability to pull off the role is concerned.

With that said, I would still recommend the film. It is beautifully shot and the acting, save for Cruise, is very solid.

Comment

Just saw it 20 minutes ago in a fairly crowded theatre. Definitely worth seeing, as it gives you a real feel for what happened. Cruise (not my favorite) was fine, as were the others. The location shots were really excellent.

The uniforms were "close but no cigar". Almost any one of us here, if called in to advise, could have spent an extra 10 grand (really nothing in the budget of this film) and made them just about perfect with material that is readily available. I can see not worrying much about some of the background shots, but principal actors ought to have everything right. Oh, well, not my movie............

All in all, a worthwhile film which was much better than I expected.

Comment

I thought I would jump on here tonight and see if anyone else saw it on opening day (at least here it was opening day). Good to see I'm not the only diehard/nerd that couldn't wait.

Agree with a number of the comments thus far. The uniforms and personal equipment looked a lot better than most Hollywood WWII films. Although I'm sure when we get a chance to leisurely browse a DVD version, we picky collectors will find a mistake or two.

I liked them using the actual Bendler Block in Berlin. It also appeared that they used the former Luftwaffe Air Ministry building as one of the HQ's - which from personal visits to Berlin I know to be still standing (actually fully restored and still in use!)

Also not a huge Tom Cruise fan, but like others have said he seemed to take the role very seriously. The other actors were good and for the most part seemed well cast. I have to admit, although I already knew the outcome my heart rate picked up in a couple scenes. The 20. Juli Attentatsversuch is a subject near and dear to me and I found the movie compelling.

Overall, I am very glad this movie was made. The average American these days has no clue about any of the events in the movie and perhaps this fairly accurate/fairly realistic portrayal will serve as a history lesson. The theater wasn't sold out, but was probably 80-85% capacity. I hope it has a good run and a lot of people see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Giva View Post
                              I saw the movie today. As someone that has been interested in the plot (and the Widerstand in general) for the last decade, I was very excited to see how the film would turn out.

I will not critique the movie in depth as it is unfair to those that have yet had the opportunity to see it. What I will say, however, is that compared to the German production, "Stauffenberg," it is an inferior film. Not in all respects. Please, do not get me wrong; there is much about the film that I enjoyed. My problem with the film was the casting of Cruise as Stauffenberg. I know, I know, he owns the studio and it was his for the taking. And I'm quite aware that no other American studio would green light a project such as Valkyrie; at least not without a marquee name such as Cruise. This fact does not, however, diminish the ineptness with which Cruise portrayed Stauffenberg. I think folks that have read about the plot, and Stauffenberg in particular (i.e. Peter Hoffmann's works), will be equally dissatisfied with the portrayal. I went into it with an open mind. I honestly did. I was quite angry at all of the speculation regarding Cruise's performance. But now that I have seen the film, the critics, at least in my opinion, were correct as far as Cruise's ability to pull off the role is concerned.

With that said, I would still recommend the film. It is beautifully shot and the acting, save for Cruise, is very solid.
                              I completely agree with your opinion.- There were some touches I enjoyed such as seeing the berghof rebuilt!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X