No announcement yet.

Valkyrie-Excellent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tex, it was the Berghof. Saw it last night with my wife. Better than I expected, but nowhere near the gravitas of Downfall in my opinion. Cruise was better than I expected, and they did try to pay atention to detail - the Panzer IV F2 "special" in the opening scene was a nice touch, and Cruise wore four uiforms in the movie - tropical, GS Officer, a summer white tunic (first one I've seen in a movie on the TR), and a beautiful fully piped GS field tunic for the Berghof scene. Lots of little things wrong - von Treskow portrayed as general far too early in the war and Stauffenberg as a Oberstleutnant in North Africa. I saw at least two Latvian Special visor caps. One of the collar tabs on Cruise's normal GS tunic was on with the cogs running the wrong way. They really glossed over the politics of the plot, which I can't blame them for - it tends to cast the participants in a less favorable, less heroic light. I thought Terrance Stamp was very good as Ludwig Beck.

I don't think it will do huge box office as it's not really a thriller, not really an action movie, but I'll be buyig the DVD when it comes out.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by DonC View Post
      Tex, it was the Berghof.

Don
      thanks Don.. I spend a lot of time on the subject of the Berghof, so I am looking forward to its cameo in the movie..

Comment

Just saw it and like the others above I liked what I saw. Of course there were many little things that were wrong, but overall much better than all the naysayers had set against this one even before it hit the cutting room floor.

Anyone notice the Silver Wound Badges that were handed out in the hospital were ... "hollow"?

Was it just me or did all the swastikas and surrounding laurel wreaths (on the Breast Eagles) appear a little large on the officer's tunics? Wasn't too noticeable, but kinda reminded me of those low budget 50's movies where they used those Monster Sized Big Ass Eagles.

Kinda like below.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Darrell; 12-26-2008, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I did not notice that the wounds badges were hollow, but did notice they were dark in the recesses. Kind of like they had patina or something.
          HC

Comment

Originally posted by hcliffe View Post
            I did not notice that the wounds badges were hollow, but did notice they were dark in the recesses. Kind of like they had patina or something.
            Or very used Black ones

Comment

The amazing thing was how many actors that were used from the three films:

Downfall
              Conspiracy
              Black Book

At every scene, you could recognize all the faces ..

Right at the end, the big fat German General, he portrayed a Party Official in Conspiracy.

Comment

Great show, will have to own the DVD

Comment

Just got home from watching it;and it was a good movie.All of the buildings and props were great.They didn't mention that major Remer was given an immediate promotion to Oberst.General Beck i believe shot himself in private;not in front of everyone.So what;go see it.
                  Dan46

Comment

Last edited by Ken B.; 04-04-2009, 12:54 PM.

Comment

"Long live Sacred Germany!" (I think)

Comment

Last edited by Ken B.; 04-04-2009, 12:54 PM.

Comment

I just went to see it this evening and enjoyed it. Of course the uniforms will be picked to death but for Hollywood I think they did pretty well. If anything, the higher ranks uniforms looked a bit fuzzy instead of the slicker material often found such as gabardine. Some looked good.
                          I did spot a Bundeswehr helmet in a close-up but the majority looked well done.
                          Overall, it was worth the trip. The theater was full with most of the crowd being White, over 50 types. I have no idea if it will be a box office winner or not, it seems the younger folks don't like historical movies anymore.
                          Denny

Comment

"Long Live Sacred Germany." I had always thought he had actually said "Long Live Holy Germany" in actuality, but I could be wrong. They also identified the GD Wach Regiment as the "Deutschland Regiment" in a subtitle

Don
                            Last edited by DonC; 12-27-2008, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Took one of my boys to see it with me last night. We both enjoyed it very much. I was impressed at the Directors effort to be authentic and I think they pulled it off very well. Not everything will be 100% accurate in any movie but the effort was there to be sure.

Of course much of the American Press is killing Tom Cruise over the move and call if Nazi Propaganda and that is too bad. The movie tries to distance itself as much as they can from making the Nazi's anything but "good" while keeping the film as close to history as possible.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
                              Mike

Comment

We are still waiting for the release .... on January 29th Cant wait !!! , nothing worst than living on the other side of the planet ,always last in line !! ,and would also like to see Defiance as well. Merry Xmas.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X