Valkyrie-Excellent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Davis View Post
    Hold on gentelmen. You've obviously gotten it wrong. Read this review by a Mr Roger Friedman:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,473079,00.html

Mr Friedman is disappointed with "Valkyrie":

a) Soldiers are "not wearing their arm bands"
    b) the swastikas on the uniforms are too small
    c) there are not enough Nazi flags
    d) the German officers are not cruel enough
    e) an insufficient amount of time is dedicated to the German crimes
    Mr Friedman might just be the stupidest SOB to be writing for a major, and I use this term loosely, news organization, around today. What an absolute fool of a man. And they give this imbecile a column?

Comment

[.
      Last edited by Ken B.; 04-04-2009, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken B. View Post
        That would make sense too. The scene happened so quickly as he said it.

Truely a man/soldier that loved his country. If he succeded it would have have saved millions of lives.

My girlfriend that isn't into this history at all was entralled by it. It pleased me that she liked it.
        There were actually a number of different accounts of what Stauffenberg exclaimed during his final moment. The consensus among historians (as was stated above) is that Stauffenberg said something along the lines of "Long live holy Germany!"

Comment

Review

My teenage son, his girlfriend, and her parents, saw it today.
          Unlike many of us on this forum, he is not a history buff,
          does not hate Tom Cruise, and, he is OPEN MINDED. He said it was a good movie, and even though he knew how it was going to end, it kept him on the edge of his seat throughout.
          I am looking forward to watching it !

Comment

Valkyrie

Hello,
            Well I and three of my friends saw it today (which included Tony from this forum) in Scottsdale, Arizona. I must say we were all pleased with it. Yes, there were errors, but overall a good film and one I am glad that they finally released.

One thing that I did notice was a lack of Waffen-SS soliders especially at the Wolf's Lair.

It was also nice to see several RKs des KvKs being worn. I especially liked the scenes involving Major Otto Remer.

Happy New Year!
            Regards,
            Jody

Comment

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claus_von_Stauffenberg ),
              As his turn came, Stauffenberg spoke his last words: "Es lebe unser heiliges Deutschland!" ("Long live our holy Germany!")

But according to another source, he said "Long live free Germany".
              So I guess it is a translation issue.
              HC

Comment

Originally posted by Jody View Post
                ...... I especially liked the scenes involving Major Otto Remer.

Happy New Year!
                Regards,
                Jody
                This time the character Kretschmer plays actually survives the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Giva View Post
                  Mr Friedman might just be the stupidest SOB to be writing for a major, and I use this term loosely, news organization, around today. What an absolute fool of a man. And they give this imbecile a column?

Wow. I just read the review and cannot agree more. Friedman is an utter moron.

Comment

Hold on gentelmen. You've obviously gotten it wrong. Read this review by a Mr Roger Friedman:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,473079,00.html

Mr Friedman is disappointed with "Valkyrie":

a) Soldiers are "not wearing their arm bands"
                    b) the swastikas on the uniforms are too small
                    c) there are not enough Nazi flags
                    d) the German officers are not cruel enough
                    e) an insufficient amount of time is dedicated to the German crimes

Wow Mike! this Friedman sure is a real historian expert and I´m sure there will be a lot of museums around offering him a job to handle their WW2 display given his expertise on German uniforms lol

Well it sure is sad but honestly I think many people see things this way out of ignorance and makes the history all black and white

Comment

Originally posted by TxGauleiter View Post
                      to be sure, we are not getting the Berghof and Eagles Nest confused are we?

No. The BERGHOF is shown in the movie. I was merely pointing out that the Kehlsteinhaus or small teahouse (which some call the Eagle's Nest) is still very much in existance today although mere traces of the rubble of the Berghof itself are all that is left. Sorry for the confusion. Most members here probably already knew that the Kehlsteinhaus is still around, so my comment about it was unnecessary.

From my amateur viewpoint, they did a good job... featuring the large globe, the picture window and the fireplace mantel that have been described as furnishings in accounts I have read about the interior.

Hope you enjoy the movie!

Comment

Mike

Yeah I read that review yesterday and was amazed at the sheer level of anger and animosity directed towards the "nature of the film". It was about as far from a movie review as one could get.

I am certainly no fan of Tom Cruise, and I will be the first to admit that I did not have even mediocre hopes for this film. But I will go see the movie and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Friedman on the other hand seems to hate the movie solely for the topic alone and writes a scathing review that is devoid of any sense of journalistic integrity.

Andrew

Comment

"..................so sparing with his Nazi flags, swastikas, etc that you’d think the Nazis hardly existed. "

Ok, complain that the Swastikas are backwards........... but exactly how many do you need to be satisfied????

Comment

I read Friedmans so-called review, and it is PATHETIC.

Comment

You gents are actually lucky to have the opportunity to see this movie. I will have to travel out to see it as it is not being shown at my local theatre. Passion Of The Christ wasn't shown here either despite quite an uproar. Thanks for the reviews. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Robert

Comment

Having just read "Hitler's Alpine Retreat" I was pleased to see a fairly accurate portrayal of the Berghof,interior and exterior. I saw the movie on Christmas afternoon with my son and both of us enjoyed it. The theater was just about full.
                                With regards to Mr. Friedman's review, I,too, noticed some of his inaccurate comments, particularly the reference to the armbands, and sent him a little email to expand his knowledge. As far as his concern about the film's sentiment bordering on " Nazi apologia", I disagree but will respect his right to express his poltically correct Hollywood opinion.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X