BD Publishing

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luft flight equipment and all that's related.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying Helmets and Goggles... Service Issue?

Was there a system for standardising the various types of LW Flying Helmets and Goggles supplied to aircrew?

For instance, was an aircrew member supplied with both a Summer and Winter flying helmet?

Who was supplied with the Net Helmet and why? The Net Helmet is widely regarded as the choice of fighter pilots but there are ample pics of Bomber crews wearing the Net Helmet.

And what was the deciding factor in the supply of the various types of LW goggles?

The R.A.F. had only two types of Flying Helmets and they were designated as Type 'B' and Type 'C'. The Type 'B' was early war issue until replaced by the Type 'C'. (There were small variations within both types).

The R.A.F. were issued with goggles of various types throughout the war and they were very inferior when compared to LW issue, especially when compared to the 'N & G' type.

The R.A.F. did not distinguish between Bomber and Fighter crews with regard to the issue of Goggles and Flying Helmets. And the helmets were only in 3 sizes

My apologies for including R.A.F. items in a LW Forum but I thought it would be useful information for comparison purposes.

Regards,
    Robert.

Comment

Here's mine. The Yellow is for night time \ low light use and does it have a different model number? Mine is a DR3

Last edited by Jos Le Conté; 02-06-2009, 08:34 AM.

Comment

More pictures

Comment

The box.

Comment

Here are some detail shots.

Comment

Here's a funny DR..., not just yellow but glow in the dark..

It's for night...,but never seen another one..,paper says it's a Moon compass..

It's made of a common DR, I opened it and when I turn inside out I've a DR..

Jos.
              Attached Files

Comment

Came with instruction paper..

Jos.
                Attached Files

Comment

Harry is your last name FORD Quality seems to be job #1 for you!

Comment

I would like to request some of your experienced opinions on this O2 mask.
                    It is marked BWZ and 6701-1. It is in good flexable condition.
                    The straps are faded orange cloth with elastic inside the lower two. Still has a little stretch left but not very strong. The top one is just cloth.
                    The hardware on the lower straps are brass.
                    What do you all think about this? Thanks.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X