Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW neat! Can you ID the other Generals? Note AH is awarding a Knights Cross SS Mann. The table is next to the Large picture window.
    Attached Files

Comment

Yes a fantastic display indeed. Didn't see much AH silver at the MAX except on Tom Johnson's table of a super grouping brought back by a vet which wasn't for sale.

Comment

There were x2 of these table covers that Chris has ID in the eagle nest photo archive.
        Attached Files

Comment

Most dealers have only 2?

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
          Thanks for your posting, Mikeburch; I'd like to know more about the source of your comment. While it may seem that Hitler "must have had enough flatware to feed all of Europe," I note that most militaria dealers don't offer even one or two pieces, and when they do, it is often from the extremely wide variety of what I consider "AH gift silverware" and not from the two major patterns of Bruckmann flatware, the so-called Formal and Informal. There was certainly an almost unknowable number of private sets of monogrammed or personalized tableware made for Hitler as personal gifts, and beyond that, the silverware created for many of the TR bigwigs often had a similarity to designs made for Hitler directly or were private-purchase gifts given to him.

The idea that "all large hotels had their own selection of AH flatware," which they kept ready on the off-chance that Hitler himself might sponsor or attend a dinner at that hotel's restaurant or banquet hall is, well, outside the range of my own imagination! The number of locations where Hitler had a residence or visited regularly or for extended periods is certainly larger than most people would have, but he was the national leader and head of the military, and he felt the need to be present at many events and locations. Again, I would need to see some hopefully-documentable source(s) which support such a novel idea.

Thanks and cheers,

Br. James
          Have to disagree with that, Wittmann and Brent Smith currently have about a dozen pieces each of the 2 major patterns of AH silverware pieces for sale. OTOH you are correct that you have to take veteran's stories with a grain of salt. Many pieces of memorabilia supposedly taken from "The Eagles Nest" or "Hitler's Castle" were never close to any such place.

Comment

Thorsten very intestine what you are telling us , wer can we read the Artikel ?
            I believe less then 10% of all AH pieces come from the Eagles Nest.

2 years back i was able to buy and see a big lot of Bergdesgaden.
            The Guy told my hey took all the pices before the Americans went to the Eagles Nest and Obersals...
            He showed me more than 60 pieces flatware and Bowls what he Personally had taken there.
            He also said, before americans had time to get there , all the Locals went there.
            It was very intestine to tolk to the Man and hearing the more from the real story ....

Bot unfortunately i did not have enough Money to buy all the stuff. :bang head:

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
            Fredy

Comment

Originally posted by BrianK View Post
              Have to disagree with that, Wittmann and Brent Smith currently have about a dozen pieces each of the 2 major patterns of AH silverware pieces for sale. OTOH you are correct that you have to take veteran's stories with a grain of salt. Many pieces of memorabilia supposedly taken from "The Eagles Nest" or "Hitler's Castle" were never close to any such place.
              As of now Wittmann has x3 Formal examples left for sale. (x3 are sold)

Brent has x5 formal AH examples for sale and x3 informal. I saw 7 examples foe sale in the entire MAX show.

Tom Johnson had a neat vet hoard of about 12 examples (informal and formal with a tray and coffee pot) This was a documented vet find with photos and solid providence. Wonder why all the vet documented stories match up with with finding these items in the same locations? Also the vets units are tied to the areas correlating the stories?

BrianK do you collect this stuff as well?
              Last edited by Eric Von Rader; 10-05-2014, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your response, BrianK. There is no doubt that there are normally a few pieces of one or other of the two major Bruckmann pattern AH flatware floating around in dealers' offerings -- and as we know, Brent Smith is a major source for locating such collectibles, for which we are most grateful -- but if we accept the assertion that there were thousands of pieces of these patterns struck by Bruckmann from the mid-1930s for close to the next ten years, then there are bound to be pieces turning up somewhere in the world from time to time. Who knows? Perhaps at least some of the pieces we see being offered on the dealers' sites are the same pieces, just being turned over again and again? But even given that there are certainly some large and long-held collections of this stuff around the world, that leaves MANY more pieces to be found and purchased!

Cheers, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

I have bought and sold many of the same items several times. One item I bought and sold 3 times!

Collectors tend to trade them around.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Von Rader View Post
                    I have bought and sold many of the same items several times. One item I bought and sold 3 times!

Collectors tend to trade them around.
                    Eric that is normal, and i think the most pieces are in America and Russia.
                    The don't leave the Country thats why the pas the Desk 2 or 3 times ...
                    That is why we think there are so many of them.
                    Ohr do you think der are really so many pieces going to the Collectors ?

fredy
                    Last edited by fredyfang; 10-05-2014, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Von Rader View Post
                      As of now Wittmann has x3 Formal examples left for sale. (x3 are sold)

Brent has x5 formal AH examples for sale and x3 informal. I saw 7 examples foe sale in the entire MAX show.

Tom Johnson had a neat vet hoard of about 12 examples (informal and formal with a tray and coffee pot) This was a documented vet find with photos and solid providence. Wonder why all the vet documented stories match up with with finding these items in the same locations? Also the vets units are tied to the areas correlating the stories?

BrianK do you collect this stuff as well?
                      I collect the silverware and appreciate it - it just seems readily available. The large 800 silver pieces are the real keepers. Some of the glassware and the cloth items like the tablecloth with provenance in this thread are also impressive. Assembling a nice set of AH silverware might easily set you back $25,000 or more and for that money IMO I would rather have a painting by AH.

Comment

To each his own, I guess.

While I was in the US, I went to a flea market very early Sunday morning. It has a great reputation for turning WW2 stuff up.

I spoke with a guy there. A while back, a buddy he knew turned up "20 pieces of Hitler silver."

He had no idea of the value and scrapped them for their silver content.

So that's 20 less pieces you're going to see floating around.

Comment

A moment of silence for the 20 pieces

Originally posted by CPB View Post
                          To each his own, I guess.

While I was in the US, I went to a flea market very early Sunday morning. It has a great reputation for turning WW2 stuff up.

I spoke with a guy there. A while back, a buddy he knew turned up "20 pieces of Hitler silver."

He had no idea of the value and scrapped them for their silver content.

So that's 20 less pieces you're going to see floating around.

Comment

Formal dinner knife

I sold my formal dinner knife (large style) at the MAX show for $1400.00 a bargain to the buyer It was a indirect vet hit....more to come I hope! If my source pans out it will be a large scale hit with many interesting items....

Comment

Maybe you will get one of the large solid silver pieces like the cigar box. Those are so cool even the dealers keep them.

Comment

Did anyone else get apiece of the Himmler flatware like the one I am selling? ( to make way for new items). Just curious on how many were in the set.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X