Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by johninhb; 08-03-2014, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coltsnsox07 View Post
      Hello, this is a little off topic but I was searching youtube and came across Hitler and a group of people at a lunch table and was wondering if anyone could identify the napkin Hitler clearly unfolds in the video, I don't know how to show a screen shot, just click this link and watch for yourself(you can reply in slow mo to see it's details better) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oy8k...ailpage#t=2341

P.S. Seems like a good documentary but it's in German!

Looks good. How far into the video is the particular scene?

Comment

I thought I had the scene start when you click the link but if not, it starts at exactly minute 39:00(the whole movie is 48:36 long)

Comment

Nice video. Too blurred to make out that pattern, but there are a couple in Griffith's book that might match. I think it was shot in the Berghof great hall.

Comment

To any 'AH' silverware collector that may be interested, I just reduced my 8 piece collection price on e-stand...but...it's for today only.

Comment

AH Flatware

It has been mentioned that he must have had enough flatware to feed all of Europe.
              I understand, that all large hotels, had their own selection of AH flarware.
              Some, in case of a AH dinner party and some, just for patriotic reasons.
              I do not believe that all AH flatware was owned by AH.
              mikeburch

Comment

This is a very interesting revelation and might explain a lot of things. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Notice in the youtube video the use of the Wellner Tea pots & coffee pots. Very interesting!

Comment

Thanks for your posting, Mikeburch; I'd like to know more about the source of your comment. While it may seem that Hitler "must have had enough flatware to feed all of Europe," I note that most militaria dealers don't offer even one or two pieces, and when they do, it is often from the extremely wide variety of what I consider "AH gift silverware" and not from the two major patterns of Bruckmann flatware, the so-called Formal and Informal. There was certainly an almost unknowable number of private sets of monogrammed or personalized tableware made for Hitler as personal gifts, and beyond that, the silverware created for many of the TR bigwigs often had a similarity to designs made for Hitler directly or were private-purchase gifts given to him.

The idea that "all large hotels had their own selection of AH flatware," which they kept ready on the off-chance that Hitler himself might sponsor or attend a dinner at that hotel's restaurant or banquet hall is, well, outside the range of my own imagination! The number of locations where Hitler had a residence or visited regularly or for extended periods is certainly larger than most people would have, but he was the national leader and head of the military, and he felt the need to be present at many events and locations. Again, I would need to see some hopefully-documentable source(s) which support such a novel idea.

Thanks and cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                      Thanks for your posting, Mikeburch; I'd like to know more about the source of your comment. While it may seem that Hitler "must have had enough flatware to feed all of Europe," I note that most militaria dealers don't offer even one or two pieces, and when they do, it is often from the extremely wide variety of what I consider "AH gift silverware" and not from the two major patterns of Bruckmann flatware, the so-called Formal and Informal. There was certainly an almost unknowable number of private sets of monogrammed or personalized tableware made for Hitler as personal gifts, and beyond that, the silverware created for many of the TR bigwigs often had a similarity to designs made for Hitler directly or were private-purchase gifts given to him.

The idea that "all large hotels had their own selection of AH flatware," which they kept ready on the off-chance that Hitler himself might sponsor or attend a dinner at that hotel's restaurant or banquet hall is, well, outside the range of my own imagination! The number of locations where Hitler had a residence or visited regularly or for extended periods is certainly larger than most people would have, but he was the national leader and head of the military, and he felt the need to be present at many events and locations. Again, I would need to see some hopefully-documentable source(s) which support such a novel idea.

Thanks and cheers,

Br. James
                      Agree with you 100% James!

Comment

I would also add, that of all the veteran stories I have heard attached to the Bruckmann pieces, none have made mention of taking pieces from a hotel.

It's always the Berghof, Eagle's Nest, Munich apartment, RK, and so on.

My interpretation is that The Party was pretty protective of its 'formal pattern' pieces (or 'Führer design' as it was officially known). I think I read somewhere that Hitler (possibly Bormann) complained about people stealing the tea spoons. Even the copper-bottomed pieces were serial numbered to help trace pilfered items. I just don't see them trusting a hotel with a set.

Anyway, still an interesting theory to debate. And never say never, I guess.

Who's at the Max this week? I will be there doing a display of a few pieces, so drop by.

Comment

Originally posted by CPB View Post
                          Who's at the Max this week? I will be there doing a display of a few pieces, so drop by.
                          Since many members here including me cannot make it there please feel free and post pics of your display in here lateron.

By the way: there is also one interesting article about another AH pattern of silver cutlery and porcelain dishes being executed exclusively for the Führer´s use within an issue of "Innendekoration".

Comment

CPB -- Another good point that provenance provided with pieces of the Bruckmann sets has not established their being "liberated' from hotels anywhere in Europe, though they have been found at a variety of locations across Germany where Hitler had a residence or visited frequently.

Have a great time at The MAXX and, as Thorsten stated, please feel free to post a photo or two from your display! Wish I was going myself...

Thorsten -- At the risk of sounding like a neophyte, I have never heard of "Innendekoration" -- I assume it is a German-language publication...?? Please say more.

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

I will be there CPB and i will stop by and say hello.

Comment

Just in from the MAX Show 2014! Here is our esteemed collector MR. CPB AH Table cover on exhibit.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                                X