Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any One Know What AH Formal Piece this is ??

Any One Know What AH Formal Piece this is ?? Never owned it before but notice Bill Shea acquire one identical in that hoard he bought some years ago ..Anyones thought appreciated ?? Crab Knife Maybe ??
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Butter knife

Comment

Comment

Thanks Eric. Was not sure.

Thanks Eric. Was not sure. Very uncommon it seems. Never owned one Brent

Comment

For my two-cents-worth, I have never been confident in identifying the difference between a "fish knife" and a "master butter knife" within sets of tableware...and I have never seen a "crab knife" that looks anything like this piece! Like you, Brent, I have never seen another example of this piece either...

"Confused in NYC!"

Br. James

Comment

Could be the formal pattern tool for unjamming the Berghof garbage disposal.
                Seriously, I'm always amazed with how many specialized utensils existed for formal dinners in the past. I don't have a clue what this one would be, and most of the references I've been able to find show U.S. formal pieces which often differ from those used in Europe.
                Erich
                Festina lente!

Comment

I agree, Erich, and when you look back through catalogs provided by silversmiths from the early to mid-20th century here in the USA, you often see utensils variously named from maker to maker. There seems to have been no true standard as to what utensils were named, and when a silversmith wanted to extend the range of his line for a particular pattern -- especially a popular pattern -- it seems like it was up to that maker to decide what to call a piece and how it should be designed.

Br. James

Comment

So, as the year draws to a close, time to share your find of the year.

It can be silverware, linen, any personality item you like, big or small.

No surprises, mine is the Berghof Great Hall tablecloth.

Okay, over to you...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Simply a SPECTACULAR acquisition for any collection, CPB -- I congratulate you again on adding this one-of-a-kind artifact to YOUR collection!

For myself, my most notable addition this year was a Fuess GPB from the John Pepera Collection via Hermann Historica. This piece is in excellent condition, though it was not awarded to a person of great note during the Kämpfzeit or the Third Reich Era...but for me, having a piece from probably the largest and finest collection of GPBs ever amassed, and owned by a world-renowned historian and student of the NSDAP of the caliber that John Pepera certainly was, must be the highlight of ANY YEAR!

(Apologies for my ongoing inability to show pix here, or anywhere...)

Br. James

Comment

Are there many buyers for a $4000 AH butter knife?

Comment

Originally posted by BrianK View Post
                          Are there many buyers for a $4000 AH butter knife?
                          Who is selling a butter knife for 4 grand?

Comment

It's $2850 - or 2 for $5700.

Comment

That's a great discount if you buy two!
                              Richard V

Comment

Not cheap - just readily available.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 15 users online. 0 members and 15 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                                X