X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... sell the family jewels!
    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice piece.Thanks for showing Who has it for sale or are you going after it ?

Etienne

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne B. View Post
        Very nice piece.Thanks for showing Who has it for sale or are you going after it ?

Etienne
        Etienne, its in an auction http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...postcount=1543

Comment

"Estimated Price: $65,000 - $130,000"

Comment

...Description of auction piece...

Description: This is an excellent example of a one-of-a-kind tapestry done in heavy gold bullion thread. This tapestry appears on page 66 of the book "World War II German War Booty", volume II by Lt. Thomas M. Johnson, and the information provided states that the tapestry was removed from the Berchtesgaden residence of Heinrich Himmler in April of 1945 by a member of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne during the occupation of Berchtesgaden. The soldier was advised that this piece originally hung in the Reichstag, and was found intact following the Reichstag Fire during which another similar tapestry was destroyed. The tapestry was designed by Professor Karl Diebitsch and created by Elsie Seifert. Diebitsch joined the Nazi Party on May 1, 1920 as a member of the Freikorps. He completed his formal art training in 1925 and following that lived and worked in Munich as a painter and graphic artist, later moving to Berlin in 1933 after the Nazi Party came into power. Diebitsch was responsible for much of the Third Reich regalia, including the chained SS Officers dagger scabbard, sword parts, (including the handle of the Degen, SS ceremonial smallsword), many other SS items, and with designer Walter Heck, the all black SS uniform. He also designed the letterhead logo of the Ahnenerbe, many of the German postage stamps during the Third Reich and crests for the SS Officers. He served as the Director of SS Porzellan Manufaktur prior to WWII and served as a Reserve Officer in the Waffen SS during WWII with staff assignments to the SS-Totenkopfstandarte (SS Death Head Regiment), SS-Regiment "Germania", SS-Division "Wiking" and the Hohere SS und Polizei Fuhrer (Higher SS and Police Leader) of Italy. He was finally promoted to the rank of SS-Oberfuhrer in April of 1944 and managed to survive the war and died during the 1980s. Construction is blood red velvet, running 140" long and 78 1/2" wide, with a further 10" of thick gold bullion tassels at the bottom. The top 40 1/2" of the backing is left open, with the lower section dominated by a finely executed field of gold bullion decorations, starting with a 2 7/10" thick border with piping accents, leading to an open section with swastika themed Greek Key pattern, terminating in each corner with a sunwheel design. In the center is a wide field consisting of gold bullion, with piping bordered blood red velvet sections forming alternating patterns of swastikas and oak leaf clusters, measuring 10 3/4" and 10 5/8" wide, respectively. This piece was formerly part of the Lesher Collection, during which time it was photographed for Thomas M. Johnson's book "World War II German War Booty, Volume II". A copy of said book is supplied with this lot.
            Condition: Very fine, showing a separation of the bullion in the lower left quadrant of the main field, along with a few other small losses and minor staining. A superb piece, truly a one-of-a-kind without equal among the trophies of the Second World War.
            can find at:
            http://www.rockislandauction.com/vie...id/52/lid/1767

Comment

Thanks Steve The price is some what high for me.It will not be easy to convince my wife we need a second mortgage on the house

Etienne

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne B. View Post
                Thanks Steve The price is some what high for me.It will not be easy to convince my wife we need a second mortgage on the house

Etienne
                It also would make an expensive area rug too!

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
                  It also would make an expensive area rug too!
                  Its in pretty good shape but a simple construction and less than interesting design, I don't see the attraction myself!

Comment

a number of early american indian tapestry and rugs have these designs.. big bucks for this one.

Comment

hello there,
                      i just received today a small but very interesting pubblication, i'm too lazy and sleepy to take photos now.. maybe tomorrow.. but to add some good infos to your "cultural" knowledge i suggest to all to find and aquire die neue gemeinschaft (10.jahrgang.heft 6/7 '44) there's a really nice article about harvest festival '44 (Erntedankfest im bauernhaus) with a complete documentation of the traditional "making of", wagons, decorations and so on..

Comment

This tapestry does not look Third Reich to me. The design, materials and colors look more Eastern than German. And given that Rock Island auctions specializes in high-priced, bogus TR items, I am even more suspicious. I think I will keep my $65K in my wallet.

Are there any genuine TR items on the current Rock Islands auction?
                        Last edited by CurtD; 05-02-2011, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CurtD View Post
                          This tapestry does not look Third Reich to me. The design, materials and colors look more Eastern than German. And given that Rock Island auctions specializes in high-priced, bogus TR items, I am even more suspicious. I think I will keep my $65K in my wallet.

Its original and it is Third Reich which is more than I can say for some other items, very loose provenance and even with this piece as original they are something of a disappointment in hand. Its just brushed cotton and the ask is geared to the rich knob head that does not know any better. They should sell guns which they appear to be good at.

Comment

Originally posted by CurtD View Post

apparently not.. all the visor caps i inquired about turned out to be bogus!

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=512585

in all fairness, i didn't look through ALL of the items.. just the ones i was interested in.

Comment

Looking at the descriptions of all of these auction houses is a treat, but the structure of the larger and most prestigious you can see differences in the descriptions from the Reich items and their core expertise. With the larger auction houses offering these Reich items at such lofty levels and the product being so easily identifiable as bad, and even to a novice in some cases; I see these guys as ripe for litigation and all it will take is a gullible gun guy with too much money to realize he has been had for 6 figures. Clear difference between the big boy auctions and Ebay, good chance for lawsuits here. Jmho

Comment

Originally posted by J. Wraith View Post
                                Looking at the descriptions of all of these auction houses is a treat, but the structure of the larger and most prestigious you can see differences in the descriptions from the Reich items and their core expertise. With the larger auction houses offering these Reich items at such lofty levels and the product being so easily identifiable as bad, and even to a novice in some cases; I see these guys as ripe for litigation and all it will take is a gullible gun guy with too much money to realize he has been had for 6 figures. Clear difference between the big boy auctions and Ebay, good chance for lawsuits here. Jmho
                                Any respectable collectibles auction house will do some kind of due diligence on their items. Especially when you get to thousands of $'s. The Pawn Stars, Auction Kings, etc. bring in some kind of expert to examine their items before sale because they have a reputation to protect and don't like being charged with fraud. These guys are obviously just parroting whatever the seller says -- and maybe even hyping it up.

We're not just talking about a fake TK on Ebay for $100. I expect that someone spending $10K for a visor might eventually have someone who knows WTF they are doing take a look at it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 13 users online. 0 members and 13 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X