• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really entertaining!

Comment

Good Morning Minnesinger,

To stay tuned with the tapestries here is another contribution:

This one looks due to it´s construction and outward appearance definitely postwar to me - nonetheless this pattern may have already been in use by DHW, I do not know.

What I do know is that still it is a very sexy motif so to speak.
      Attached Files

Comment

Full attack!

Nice and practical size by the way.
        Attached Files

Comment

Good morning Thorsten. Yes I belive it's post-war. I even know where you could buy it; A museum-shop in Meldorf. Check the back right corner. Should be a plastic seal with a silver sticker on it (unless someone ripped it of). This however doesn't make it less attractive. Just a bit cheaper.

Comment

Tassel construction on mine. They are the threads of the teppich itself. Just a little handmade knot. No fancy stuff sewn on. Oh, and allthough some threads are blue-looking on the photo it's accually black.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Evans View Post
              as far as the teppich's go. There are a few tests to deduce a period when they were made, the black light test could be used to assume that if it reflects light it is modern (post 1950's). Granted raylon was makeing its way through the community mid-40s but doubt the wall hangings were being produced then for ss. now they could have been produced in nothern countries not denouncing that idea one bit. As far as pattern goes that is going to take alot of research due to the life tree has been in alot of cultures on the european to asian continent.

I recently have added a braunhaus pattern to my collection and belive it to be post war. its a little thicker material (havent black lighted it yet, thats tomorrows goal). I might try to get pictures up or have some one posts pics of it up.
              You say a 'few tests' but mention one, what are the others?

UV light won't tell you if a tapestry is made in say 1960 or any other period if the materials for the construction have been made in the old traditional ways, ie no chemical brighteners. Its worth doing though, you might for example find a seam that has been sewn up with modern thread or even repaired, something like that.

Comment

Minnesinger,

The part of the tapestry you are showing: how does it look like in full view?

I did not find any tag on my piece so I assume it is just not there anymore - I decided that I will put it up for sale soon.

I am also curious about possibilities to test the age of tapestries or woolen stuff in general - since there are so many faked uniforms in the market and still day by day so many collectors fall for them I wonder if there is really any other possibility than UV light testing.

Apart from that: if a really old piece has been washed just once in life-time it will glue as well, so that is certainly not a guarantee anyway.

Comment

Another interesting pre-DHW photo. Notice how the teppich not only hangs from the wall but also over a shelf serving as a tablecloth at the same time. This might be a usage for the beautiful massive ones posted by Joe and Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
                    Minnesinger,

The part of the tapestry you are showing: how does it look like in full view?
                    Like the one in Weitzels Die Gestaltung der Feste im Jahres- und Lebenslauf in der SS-Familie.

Comment

Originally posted by Minnesinger View Post
                      Another interesting pre-DHW photo. Notice how the teppich not only hangs from the wall but also over a shelf serving as a tablecloth at the same time. This might be a usage for the beautiful massive ones posted by Joe and Michael.

Nice shot and for sure these piece were made pre-TR but the DHW generated the interest in them and popularised them in the 30's, 40's. The pattern is the same as one of mine and further evidence its an old pattern , the same pattern as in the DHW book

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                        Nice shot and for sure these piece were made pre-TR but the DHW generated the interest in them and popularised them in the 30's, 40's. The pattern is the same as one of mine and further evidence its an old pattern , the same pattern as in the DHW book
                        Thought you might enjoy that pic.

Comment

Thought you might enjoy that pic.
                          Definitely, one to save for me

Comment

I think that pic is from early 20ties, if not pre-1914 - interesting for sure!

Comment

So who wants a couple of metres of this beautiful tree of life pattern?

What do you think about this piece by the way?

Minnesinger, could you please tell us where this color photo of the tap on the loom came from? and please state your conclusions from this photo. Are you saying that these are currently being produced or where recently produced from old punch card patterns at the old DHW factories?

If so, all we can be sure of owning are finely made COPIES of original DHW taps from established patterns.
                              Copies are OK as long as the price matches what you are getting!
                              Please tell me your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. R View Post
                                Minnesinger, could you please tell us where this color photo of the tap on the loom came from? and please state your conclusions from this photo. Are you saying that these are currently being produced or where recently produced from old punch card patterns at the old DHW factories?

If so, all we can be sure of owning are finely made COPIES of original DHW taps from established patterns.
                                Copies are OK as long as the price matches what you are getting!
                                Please tell me your thoughts.
                                The color photo on top is from an article about the sale of the machine it self. It was pumping out weaves until the year 2000 by a company. I'm on a mobile device at the moment so excuse me for not elaborating on this right now. I'll fill you in on the latest findings tomorrow. But yeah, there would be an abundance of copies around compared to the ones made during those few DHW-years.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 22 users online. 0 members and 22 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X