• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ditto that!

i know what Thorsten is gonna say!

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne B. View Post
      Interesting subject.Is there a site/book around where I can learn more about this kind of furniture and interior decorating ?

Etienne
      I have not found any litterature dedicated to this style, but there is sometimes a chapter consisting of a mere couple of pages in most of the nordic "Furniture Styles"-books.

I guess there will be no such dedicated book in the years to come, because of our shame and guilt culture, especially here in Sweden. It's thought to be chauvinistic and the era of national romanticism is to be a shameful part of our Nordic history.

Comment

Nearly weekend so time for another beauty:
        Attached Files

Comment

More details:
          Attached Files

Comment

As always nice details woven into it:

The door of the farmhouse actually is a smaller tree of life in itself.
            Attached Files

Comment

And some more:
              Attached Files

Comment

And the other side is beautiful as well:
                Attached Files

Comment

Brown and créme goes very well with each other on both sides:
                  Attached Files

Comment

I received this one from an older lady in lower Saxony and she got it from her mum.
                    She could not tell me exactly when her mum bought it but as long as she could remember it has always been in the household and due to her opinion it was bought even before the war.

Comparing the material, size and outward appearance as a whole to other known DHW tapestries I had already in hand I can only agree - another unknown pattern sees the light of day.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Autark and free farmers on their own soil.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
                        I received this one from an older lady in lower Saxony and she got it from her mum.
                        She could not tell me exactly when her mum bought it but as long as she could remember it has always been in the household and due to her opinion it was bought even before the war.

Comparing the material, size and outward appearance as a whole to other known DHW tapestries I had already in hand I can only agree - another unknown pattern sees the light of day.
                        Nice tapestry for sure (and a bit eerie looking) but what we need is period pictures from catalogs, books, private photos etc. of patterns before going crazy claiming DHW this and DHW that. Thats my 5 cents anyway. Did you see http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5266/47380235.jpg ? 100% not DHW and yet same style and execution. Even has unicorns.
                        Last edited by Minnesinger; 03-10-2011, 07:51 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I was just waiting for exactly this reaction.

By the way: what would you say if I can give evidence that the tapestry with unicorns you are refering to is indeed an original DHW piece?

Comment

I was just waiting for exactly this reaction.

By the way: what would you say if I can give evidence that the tapestry with unicorns you are refering to is indeed an original DHW piece?
                            Anything you want since I can prove without a doubt the exact oposite. You see, the photo is taken circa 1880-1890 (not to mention the fact that it was made in Sweden).

Comment

I know exactly when the pic you are refering to has been taken.

Nonetheless exactly this depicted pattern was also in use by weaving mills in contract with the DHW.

It was on the one hand the idea to preserve the older patterns and pieces of furniture and step by step develope a style of "here and now" out of them by using these pieces as guides.

So the early examples of DHW production refer more or just exactly to the known traditional types of patterns and from about 1935-37 we can see a development towards newer motifs and the climax of this whole work in progress - run especially by the SS - of modernizing and re-awaking of pre-christian beliefs for forming an own religious and cultic living is from about 1938/39 on until the end of the Third Reich.

Regarding the tapestry I showed I just repeated what I was told and there is no doubt that the piece itself is very old.

Comment

I know exactly when the pic you are refering to has been taken.

Nonetheless exactly this depicted pattern was also in use by weaving mills in contract with the DHW.

It was on the one hand the idea to preserve the older patterns and pieces of furniture and step by step develope a style of "here and now" out of them by using these pieces as guides.

So the early examples of DHW production refer more or just exactly to the known traditional types of patterns and from about 1935-37 we can see a development towards newer motifs and the climax of this whole work in progress - run especially by the SS - of modernizing and re-awaking of pre-christian beliefs for forming an own religious and cultic living is from about 1938/39 on until the end of the Third Reich.

Regarding the tapestry I showed I just repeated what I was told and there is no doubt that the piece itself is very old.
                                The house were it hangs is close to a place where the Ahnenerbe and Wirth made an expedition in 1936. Allthough not sure it is possible that they visited and snapped a few photos of the house and its interior and turned them over to DHW who made an own design of it with the same theme. Who knows?

My point is that it could easily passed for DHW on the market if every tapestry of that style is attributed to them. This is not good in the collector community since not only money is involved but people are getting something else than what they think and collect. Thats why I said we need hard evidence before going wild.

I never questioned your latest peice age. I just said we might want to be careful before saying for sure that it can be attributed to the DHW.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 53 users online. 0 members and 53 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X