This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erich Benndorff View Post
    What do you think about those ribbon bars? I saw a very nicely made stickpin version for sale several years ago, but passed on it since I've never been able to find any documentation allowing for a ribbon bar--in fact, it was specifically not allowed to wear the ribbon on a bar. Modern-produced FHH devices for ribbons have been around for at least 20 years (not that these are reproductions) which were most likely based on a device made during the period, but why were they produced? Were they an aftermarket souvenir, or ?
    Erich
    Erich, they did exist, but like you not sure of their use. if you look at the Fobke cased BO in Niemann's book the ribbon device is there along with his GPB as purchased from the family. Bill Dienna used to own the set.

Comment

Some absolutely wonderful material - - - many thanks to all who have contributed so far.

Comment

Here's a spooky photo of Jakob Grimminger caring the BF in Triumph of the Will.
        Attached Files

Comment

Here is a very nice early order for sale http://www.craiggottlieb.com/data/in...+Gruppenfuhrer

Craig certainly came up trumps with this Blutorden ,another lovely original and interesting group.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
            Erich, they did exist, but like you not sure of their use. if you look at the Fobke cased BO in Niemann's book the ribbon device is there along with his GPB as purchased from the family. Bill Dienna used to own the set.

My Blood Order (#274) was supposedly originally sold with a FHH ribbon bar and a 'purported' photo of Otto Ertl (I believe one of the former owners of BO#274 - Erich Bendorff - remembers that the man in the photo was wearing a SA uniform).

Both have since disappeared over the years

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Johnson View Post
              My Blood Order (#274) was supposedly originally sold with a FHH ribbon bar and a 'purported' photo of Otto Ertl (I believe one of the former owners of BO#274 - Erich Bendorff - remembers that the man in the photo was wearing a SA uniform).

Both have since disappeared over the years

Rob
              Rob, it's a shame that the groupings don't stay together.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
                Rob, it's a shame that the groupings don't stay together.

Erich,

I got the most important part, so I'm not too upset

I just wish I could see that photo that was once with the BO... Ertl was in the SA, but only for a short period of time, and that was with "SA Leibstandarte Munchen" from 1928 to 1929. I believe Erich said that the guy in the photo that was once with the BO was of a higher ranking (possibly a officer) so it probably wasn't Ertl.

Below is a photo that was sold on the WAF estand back in 2005 or 2006. I am almost positive is my guy! If anyone knows where the photo is today, please let me know

Rob
                Attached Files

Comment

Does anyone remember who sold this photo, or - better yet - know who the new owner is???

Thanks,
                  Rob

Comment

Rob,
                    I'll check my records and see if I might have saved an image of the SA Leader's photograph that originally came with the BO. The photo had Ertl's name typed on the reverse side. Once I had the research file, I knew there was no way he could have been an SA Sturmbannführer in the mid 30s so that someone had added his name to an SA officer's photo.
                    Erich
                    Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich Benndorff View Post
                      Rob,
                      I'll check my records and see if I might have saved an image of the SA Leader's photograph that originally came with the BO. The photo had Ertl's name typed on the reverse side. Once I had the research file, I knew there was no way he could have been an SA Sturmbannführer in the mid 30s so that someone had added his name to an SA officer's photo.
                      Erich

Much appreciated, Erich!

Based on the rank in the photo, it sounds as though it was certainly not Ertl. As you said, someone must have put his name on the back of the photo.

I wonder what happened to the ribbon bar, research and photo

I believe it was Kyle Harrington who sold the BO to Bill Shea with a cut-down 13.March 1938 ribbon. No ribbon bar, no photo, no research file. Kyle promised me a few times that he'd send me a copy of what he had on Ertl, but I never received anything.

Rob

Comment

Worth a coupel of pictures since this thread is pinned......
                        Attached Files

Comment

3 short of a bakers dozen
                          Attached Files

Comment

well if you have them all....how is anyone else supposed to have one !
                            ------------------------------------------------
                            Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty1418 View Post
                              well if you have them all....how is anyone else supposed to have one !
                              There's still potentially another 4000 or so out there
                              Or though I would put the figure at 500 or so ? thats just a conservative guess but its impossible to know how many are tucked away with the families of recipients.In collectors hands maybe 100 or so ? I have come across maybe 50.

Comment

Jon, amazing.
                                I guess you're really focused.
                                Apart from BOs, do you collect anything else?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X