Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Mike for posting a pic of the reverse of the Mahnmal and I really like the motto "And yet you have conquered". Best, Erich

Comment

This is a cool thread guys lets keep it coming. Here is one I unfortunatly had to let go this last week :[ in a trade. Still I am now the proud owner of a first pattern with matching document and his pair of GPB with document to the youngest ever holder of the Blutorden.
      Attached Files

Comment

Your new aquisition sounds wonderful Jon, can't wait to see it?

G

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
          This is a cool thread guys lets keep it coming. Here is one I unfortunatly had to let go this last week :[ in a trade. Still I am now the proud owner of a first pattern with matching document and his pair of GPB with document to the youngest ever holder of the Blutorden.
          Jon-
          Could you say how old this youngest Blood Order & G.P.B. recipient is?
          Thanks

Comment

Dean, he was 14 during the 1923 putsch !! I'll post a couple of pictures when it arrives.This set will be the highlight of my Blood order collection,and the only first pattern holders document I have. These are near impossible to find,let alone with the corresponding medal,let alone with the guys GPB set and his GPB document . I really had to sacrifice a LOT of stuff for this set though

Comment

What a grouping.
              Being that is a 1st pattern does this mean this 14 year old recipient actually marched on 11/9/23?
              I wonder if he had relatives who were involved with him as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Perdue View Post
                What a grouping.
                Being that is a 1st pattern does this mean this 14 year old recipient actually marched on 11/9/23?
                I wonder if he had relatives who were involved with him as well.
                Correct Dean. I hope to research it all further once I have everything here.Imagine what his parents thought !

Comment

Best of luck with this lot and research results.
                  Looking forward to hearing more.

Comment

There is a good book on the Putsch -- of many, I am sure -- but a very good overview. It is "Munich 1923" by John Dornberg.

What was interesting to me was the many groups that participated in the Putsch -- including some young men from the military schools. It could account for someone who was 14. I had the uniform at one time of Blood Order #227 -- Torsten Christ -- who later became an Oberst in the Luftwaffe. He would have been a teenager at the time.

Mike
                    Attached Files

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike H View Post
                      There is a good book on the Putsch -- of many, I am sure -- but a very good overview. It is "Munich 1923" by John Dornberg.

What was interesting to me was the many groups that participated in the Putsch -- including some young men from the military schools. It could account for someone who was 14. I had the uniform at one time of Blood Order #227 -- Torsten Christ -- who later became an Oberst in the Luftwaffe. He would have been a teenager at the time.

Mike
                      Mike,
                      I'll have to get a copy of that book for sure. #227 appears earlier in this thread,it was sold at HH a few years back,for reasonable money.Damn !!

Comment

To my regret, I was not aware of #227 coming up for bid at HH until after the auction was over. I did pass my name along through the auctioneers -- hopefully it got to the new owner -- but I have heard nothing since. It would have been nice to have.

The Dornberg book is available from several sources on Amazon.

Mike

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Comment

Come on guys,lets see some more pictures...... worth a thousand words :]
                          I managed to hold on to this one in the end
                          Attached Files

Comment

Some wonderful things have been posted here and it is a pleasure to view them and hear about the history. I've wanted to get a Blood order for quite some time but it seems they increase in price faster than I can save the money and I may have to be content with the KVK medal I have.

Jon, I can just imagine the collection you must have and it would be a delight to be able to view it. Though you had to sell some items to get your set, you will find it was well worth it. What you have sold you can eventually buy back but what you have found is a once in a lifetime acquisition. Please put me in your will.
                            Richard V

Comment

I'm reading Munich 1923 right now and I purchased it for 1.00 on Abe books.
                              Jon, I'm looking forward to seeing your newest grouping and an early congrats!
                              My 1st pattern # 626 is attributed to Franz X Fuchs who was with the 8th Company SA Munchen. I have done some research on him and he was also the holder of the Coburg badge and GPB. He died in 1942. The history to me is as important as the award itself! Yes let's please keep this thread going!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
                                Come on guys,lets see some more pictures...... worth a thousand words :]
                                I managed to hold on to this one in the end
                                Ha! And being worth many thousands of dollars a piece, there aren't may like you who can afford to collect multiple examples to post

Originally posted by Mike H View Post
                                An excellent book, and to date the best I've read on the subject. I actually finished reading the chapter dealing with the 9.November march on Odeonsplatz sitting on the steps of the Feldherrnhalle on one of my many trips to Munich, back in 2006 or 2007 I believe

Great thread. I've really enjoyed following this one!
                                Rob
                                Last edited by Rob Johnson; 04-26-2009, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X