My humble collection ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot badge with a twist ....

Thanks to a Belgian dealer / collector, was able to add this early Pilot to my collection.

However, when in hand I spotted something odd ..... anyone care to take a guess ???

Mathijs
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

The area between the legs looks drilled out?

On my early 57er Pilot that area is solid.

Best,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Skyhawk View Post
        Hi,

The area between the legs looks drilled out?

On my early 57er Pilot that area is solid.

Best,

Jeff
        YES, that it. Tom

Comment

Coming back from Holiday, found this lovely wooden case boxed at my doorstep ....

More snapshots hopefully later on ....
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Matthieu View Post
            Coming back from Holiday, found this lovely wooden case boxed at my doorstep ....

More snapshots hopefully later on ....
            A very nice named DKiG group !

best regards
            Pattex

Comment

Originally posted by pattex View Post
              A very nice named DKiG group !

best regards
              Pattex
              Nope, this is something different but also DKiG recipient ( KM )

Comment

Mathijs.....have you opened that box yet???
                Whats in there...............
                -Nigel
                sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel N View Post
                  Mathijs.....have you opened that box yet???
                  Whats in there...............
                  -Nigel
                  Not much plenty of research at this stage ( not yet read through the photocopied document in this group ).
                  Bought this off a Belgian "auction site" from a Dutch collector whom acquired it at a German flea market .

A small group belonging to Hartwig Looks ( Kommandant of U264 ), recipient of the DKiG
                  ( apparently some discrepancy regarding the issue date ... some state 19/02/1944, the day the U264 was sunk, other papers say he got the DKiG whilst in captivity, on 28/03/1944 ).

B.Regards
                  Mathijs
                  Attached Files

Comment

OOOHHHHH!!
                    Very nice Mathijs!!!
                    The custom made case alone is superb!!!
                    Thanks for the photo. and be sure to add more plus info when you have it!!
                    Cheers!!!!
                    -Nigel
                    sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

Beautiful set !!! Tom

Comment

Oh wow, you get the best stuff Matthijs The beautiful ribbon bar is just the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthieu View Post
                          Not much plenty of research at this stage ( not yet read through the photocopied document in this group ).
                          Bought this off a Belgian "auction site" from a Dutch collector whom acquired it at a German flea market .

A small group belonging to Hartwig Looks ( Kommandant of U264 ), recipient of the DKiG
                          ( apparently some discrepancy regarding the issue date ... some state 19/02/1944, the day the U264 was sunk, other papers say he got the DKiG whilst in captivity, on 28/03/1944 ).

B.Regards
                          Mathijs
                          Can you ID the 3 small pins on the top left !!! Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                            Can you ID the 3 small pins on the top left !!! Tom
                            Tom - some more snapshots of the stick-pins ....
                            Attached Files

Comment

Old buddy, that is a fantastic little big grouping

A u-boat man who reached the rank of a Kapitän zur See in the Bundesmarine, so most likely he has been an officer, maybe even u-boat commander, in wartime. Birthdate of that guy is 27th june 1917 (see ID tag) and that would fit the age of a long served commander or officer.

To the pins, the membership pin of the u-boat association is well known, the pin in the middle could be a maling from his boat (e.g. Erich Topp had 3 devils with a torch painted on his conning tower) but i couldn´t find a matching one in my books, sadly.

Maybe he was a POW and stayed the rest of the war in Canada? That could explain the last pin?

However, a fantastic grouping, buddy

That´s what i was looking for in the past

I´ll have a look in my archives if i find a commander who was born on that date but that´ll take a while ...... there have been many commanders in ww2

Comment

Hi Rüdiger, the recipient is known ... already indicated in one of the posts above.

A small group belonging to Hartwig Looks ( Kommandant of U264 ), recipient of the DKiG.

I have an entire folder on him ( came with the group ), which I haven't had time to dig through.

Mathijs

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 13 users online. 0 members and 13 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X