No announcement yet.

Dunkirk - Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw it today, and I liked it, yes the purists will find things that they can complain about, but it is a film for more than just the WW2 buff, otherwise about a dozen or so will ever go to see it. Forget the critics, and see it for yourself, and make your own mind up, certainly worth the price of admission, and glad that there are still some who are willing to make a decent go of putting something like this together....

Here is another review where the French are now upset about not getting enough on screen time.... (and I read of another where one critic was crying over not enough women in the film... )

-Bob

French furious at being written out of Dunkirk film epic

Charles Bremner, Paris Tom Parfitt, Moscow | Oliver Moody
    July 22 2017, 12:00am, The Times
    Christopher Nolan’s film has been accused of diminishing the role of France’s troopsMelinda Sue Gordon
    Save
    The film Dunkirk is under attack in France for glorifying British prowess while neglecting French troops whose sacrifice made the epic evacuation possible.
    Historians and critics have voiced annoyance over what they see as Christopher Nolan’s rewriting of the defeat of Allied forces in which 30,000 French troops held off Nazi divisions near Lille in the late spring of 1940 to protect Operation Dynamo in the Channel.
    In Russia, which had a non-aggression pact with Hitler at the time, the film has been mocked as a celebration of British cowardice.
    The Dunkirk retreat is not taught in schools in France and is largely unknown, so reviewers there are recounting the event and explaining its role in the modern British mentality through the prism of Brexit.
    The newspaper Libération called Dunkirk a “founding episode in European history” adding: “The Dunkirk spirit has lived on since the war as a strong marker of the English patriotic psyche, the feeling that in coming home, escaping the bad fates of the continent, English soldiers could reconquer their strength to resist.”
    The main complaint springs from the brushing out of the French role in Nolan’s film, except for a few brief scenes. “This vibrant homage to the British Army and people avoids the suffering of the French soldiers who, after protecting the British retreat, watched the last boats sail away. They were heading for the night of the occupation,” said Les Echos, a business newspaper.
    The film stars Sir Kenneth Branagh
    As Dunkirk opened in France on Wednesday, Dominique Lormier, a Second World War historian, said: “Anglo-Saxon history has an unfortunate habit of playing up the armed feats of the British and passing those of the French army in silence.”
    Operation Dynamo succeeded “thanks to the sacrifice of the French army which prevented 200,000 enemy soldiers penetrating the pocket of Allied resistance at Dunkirk and decimating the British Army”, he told the Huffington Post’s French site.
    The harshest review came from Le Monde, which talked of the “scathing rudeness, deplorable indifference” of Nolan towards France.
    Harry Styles, Aneurin Barnard and Fionn Whitehead await rescue in Christopher Nolan’s retelling of DunkirkRex Features
    Only a dozen seconds were devoted to a group of French soldiers defending the city of Lille and a few more to a French soldier disguised as British trying to flee, wrote Jacques Mandelbaum, Le Monde’s critic. “Where in the film are the 120,000 French soldiers who were also evacuated from Dunkirk? Where are the 40,000 who sacrificed themselves to defend the city against a superior enemy in weaponry and numbers?”
    Historians recall that Winston Churchill and his commanders lavished praise on the French. Churchill wrote afterwards that “the heroic resistance of the French army saved the British and allowed them to continue the war”.
    Some of the French troops on the beach at Dunkirk were also taken back to EnglandTimes Newspapers Ltd
    French propaganda under the Vichy puppet regime ensured that the Channel evacuation became largely unknown, Patrick Oddone, head of the Dunkirk Society of History and Archeology, said. “The operation has disappeared from French school books because the spirit of Vichy still suffuses these events,” he said. “You could find propaganda pictures with English soldiers using their rifle butts to hit French soldiers trying to scramble aboard boats. These images remained in the collective French memory.” French Anglophobia was still fed by the idea “that the English abandoned the French”, he added.
    British historians said film-makers had a right to interpret history. Sir Max Hastings, a Churchill biographer, said: “Nolan’s film is as shamelessly British as many of Steven Spielberg’s are shamelessly American. The French will have to make their own film if they want their national story properly told.”

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, of the 338,226 men evacuated from Dunkirk , 123,000 of them were French, that 37% !

Nick

Comment

I do not remember seeing French soldiers defending Lille in the film ?? I must of missed that bit

Lots of facts and events were omitted from the film, that's one reason why I am not fond of it to be honest, it could have been a true epic depiction of the whole Dunkirk story, but alas it was not, a great opporutinity missed I am afraid, I cant see there being another film based on Dunkirk

Originally posted by Bob Lyons View Post
        I saw it today, and I liked it, yes the purists will find things that they can complain about, but it is a film for more than just the WW2 buff, otherwise about a dozen or so will ever go to see it. Forget the critics, and see it for yourself, and make your own mind up, certainly worth the price of admission, and glad that there are still some who are willing to make a decent go of putting something like this together....

Here is another review where the French are now upset about not getting enough on screen time.... (and I read of another where one critic was crying over not enough women in the film... )

-Bob

French furious at being written out of Dunkirk film epic

Charles Bremner, Paris Tom Parfitt, Moscow | Oliver Moody
        July 22 2017, 12:00am, The Times
        Christopher Nolan’s film has been accused of diminishing the role of France’s troopsMelinda Sue Gordon
        Save
        The film Dunkirk is under attack in France for glorifying British prowess while neglecting French troops whose sacrifice made the epic evacuation possible.
        Historians and critics have voiced annoyance over what they see as Christopher Nolan’s rewriting of the defeat of Allied forces in which 30,000 French troops held off Nazi divisions near Lille in the late spring of 1940 to protect Operation Dynamo in the Channel.
        In Russia, which had a non-aggression pact with Hitler at the time, the film has been mocked as a celebration of British cowardice.
        The Dunkirk retreat is not taught in schools in France and is largely unknown, so reviewers there are recounting the event and explaining its role in the modern British mentality through the prism of Brexit.
        The newspaper Libération called Dunkirk a “founding episode in European history” adding: “The Dunkirk spirit has lived on since the war as a strong marker of the English patriotic psyche, the feeling that in coming home, escaping the bad fates of the continent, English soldiers could reconquer their strength to resist.”
        The main complaint springs from the brushing out of the French role in Nolan’s film, except for a few brief scenes. “This vibrant homage to the British Army and people avoids the suffering of the French soldiers who, after protecting the British retreat, watched the last boats sail away. They were heading for the night of the occupation,” said Les Echos, a business newspaper.
        The film stars Sir Kenneth Branagh
        As Dunkirk opened in France on Wednesday, Dominique Lormier, a Second World War historian, said: “Anglo-Saxon history has an unfortunate habit of playing up the armed feats of the British and passing those of the French army in silence.”
        Operation Dynamo succeeded “thanks to the sacrifice of the French army which prevented 200,000 enemy soldiers penetrating the pocket of Allied resistance at Dunkirk and decimating the British Army”, he told the Huffington Post’s French site.
        The harshest review came from Le Monde, which talked of the “scathing rudeness, deplorable indifference” of Nolan towards France.
        Harry Styles, Aneurin Barnard and Fionn Whitehead await rescue in Christopher Nolan’s retelling of DunkirkRex Features
        Only a dozen seconds were devoted to a group of French soldiers defending the city of Lille and a few more to a French soldier disguised as British trying to flee, wrote Jacques Mandelbaum, Le Monde’s critic. “Where in the film are the 120,000 French soldiers who were also evacuated from Dunkirk? Where are the 40,000 who sacrificed themselves to defend the city against a superior enemy in weaponry and numbers?”
        Historians recall that Winston Churchill and his commanders lavished praise on the French. Churchill wrote afterwards that “the heroic resistance of the French army saved the British and allowed them to continue the war”.
        Some of the French troops on the beach at Dunkirk were also taken back to EnglandTimes Newspapers Ltd
        French propaganda under the Vichy puppet regime ensured that the Channel evacuation became largely unknown, Patrick Oddone, head of the Dunkirk Society of History and Archeology, said. “The operation has disappeared from French school books because the spirit of Vichy still suffuses these events,” he said. “You could find propaganda pictures with English soldiers using their rifle butts to hit French soldiers trying to scramble aboard boats. These images remained in the collective French memory.” French Anglophobia was still fed by the idea “that the English abandoned the French”, he added.
        British historians said film-makers had a right to interpret history. Sir Max Hastings, a Churchill biographer, said: “Nolan’s film is as shamelessly British as many of Steven Spielberg’s are shamelessly American. The French will have to make their own film if they want their national story properly told.”

Comment

On another note, a USA Today critic complained about the lack of diversity in the movie:
          Attached Files
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
            We are lucky to have a lot of amateur film reviewists on the WAF. Unfortunately they are so biased, nothing short of filming a real war and battle will satisfy them and also only if Brad Pitt is not caught up in that battle. Guys it is a movie, fiction not a documentary and you can either love it or hate it. It is suppose to be entertainment and real war never is.
            Well said Jacques! Nolan presented the film with a unique perspective, the three time differences between the beach, the boats, and the planes. Nolan focused on events, not character development. The character development in Band of Brothers or Hacksaw Ridge is superb and makes these films some of the best. Nolan went in a different direction and showed small actions and details (large sounds) that immersed the viewer into the event. It's called creativity.
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
              Well said Jacques! Nolan presented the film with a unique perspective, the three time differences between the beach, the boats, and the planes. Nolan focused on events, not character development. The character development in Band of Brothers or Hacksaw Ridge is superb and makes these films some of the best. Nolan went in a different direction and showed small actions and details (large sounds) that immersed the viewer into the event. It's called creativity.
              It is also why there was such little dialog in the movie. Nolan wanted the events to stand on their own and not let characters "take away" from the scene.

Gary B
              ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Some war films need more dialog and a story to follow then others. And I think that WAF members mostly get it right. Fury was hated here mostly and it did suck. Hacksaw was loved and it was awesome. So based on reviews so far here, this movie I think will be in between C+.
                Last edited by Kelly w; 07-25-2017, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                  There are some wrecks not far from the beach, you can walk to.

Also, make sure to visit both Batterie Todt and Ambleteuse museums, between Calais and Boulogne sur mer. There is also the V3 museum close by.
                  Thanks, Totenhead also.

Comment

So true.

Originally posted by Jeff V View Post
                    Incredible visual and sound effects.
                    The script IMO was very poor along with the editing. Overall a disappointment. Disjointed all around with very little clarity in the characters and story.
                    Spot on! Great cinematography but so disjointed all over the place, nearly fell asleep twice. Had to go as one of my uncles was at Dunkirk. Probable a great film for todays generation.

Comment

Considering that the point of the movie was clearly to focus on the british army part of the evacuation, I think the French, Blacks, and women all got a resonable share of screen time.

Comment

ENJOYED IT...Captured much of the feeling of those days thru a series of intertwining non time sequential vignettes...Those looking for EPIC large productions or 100 percent accurate equipment..will need to shop elsewhere..but it gave the ONE MANS experience a decent perspective IMHO Billbert

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
                          The Dunkirk scene in the movie Attonelent was better than this whole film.
                          Thanks for mentioning the Atonement movie, I just watched it for the first time last night. What a fantastic job they did with their beach scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
                            Considering that the point of the movie was clearly to focus on the british army part of the evacuation, I think the French, Blacks, and women all got a resonable share of screen time.
                            Amen
                            Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
                              I could not agree more.

Went to the local cinema last night to watch it with my Son (I was very suprised that the cinema was about 95% full as it happens) with an open mind and wanting to be entertained.

Really enjoyed the film for what it was; a snapshot in the lives of particular characters in the event, set against a woven time-line. Great effects, great cinematography, great musical score and well worth the admission price.

After reading some of the posts on this thread I am not quite sure what the posters were actually expecting from the film, it wasn't a documentary and wasn't ever set up to be one.

Just my 2p.

Regards Richard.
                              Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Able Seaman T.P. Harrington Dunkirk veteran RIP

I have just spoken to my father about uncle Tim he made three trips in all a shattering experience even for the rescuers who were strafed frequently
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 63 users online. 0 members and 63 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X